The Student Room Group

What is the hardest mathematical concept you've learned when studying engineering?

Hi guys.

I'm currently studying for my A levels and am interested in pursuing an degree in engineering at university. I was just wondering how hard the maths can be.

I am studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2 level having recieved 3 A's at AS level (also doing welsh baccalaureate).

After doing some research and coming across the idea of differential equations I've become worried that an engineering degree will be too hard for me.
Can anyone with experience explain how they are finding the maths in their degree and whether I'll be able to cope?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Alpexx99
Hi guys.

I'm currently studying for my A levels and am interested in pursuing an degree in engineering at university. I was just wondering how hard the maths can be.

I am studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2 level having recieved 3 A's at AS level (also doing welsh baccalaureate).

After doing some research and coming across the idea of differential equations I've become worried that an engineering degree will be too hard for me.
Can anyone with experience explain how they are finding the maths in their degree and whether I'll be able to cope?

Thanks.

strong advice to self teach Further Maths FP1-FP2-FP3 and mechanics at least to M3
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
strong advice to self teach Further Maths FP1-FP2-FP3 and mechanics at least to M3

Thanks for the advice. Does the maths really get that difficult and do the lecturers focus much on explaining the concepts or will I have to teach myself?
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice. Does the maths really get that difficult and do the lecturers focus much on explaining the concepts or will I have to teach myself?

It will be in a top Uni without further Maths
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
It will be in a top Uni without further Maths

Thanks for the advice
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice

my pleasure
Only just finished 2nd year but for me so far it's been Fourier Series/Transforms but then again when I look back at it, it actually isn't that bad. Integration and differential equations can be a pain but once you learn all the methods and keep practicing, it becomes second nature! I didn't really do any special types of math in high school and I've gotten by, if you actually just pay attention in class and do the work you'll do great
Reply 7
Original post by alexschmalex
Only just finished 2nd year but for me so far it's been Fourier Series/Transforms but then again when I look back at it, it actually isn't that bad. Integration and differential equations can be a pain but once you learn all the methods and keep practicing, it becomes second nature! I didn't really do any special types of math in high school and I've gotten by, if you actually just pay attention in class and do the work you'll do great

I just took a look at the Fourier series and it does look difficult. Can I ask how the maths is taught to you and how much you study every day?
Hi guys.

Thanks.

It's an engineering degree, not a maths degree. As long as you have A-level maths or equivalent (I did highers), your maths knowledge will be sufficient to begin the course - if you can get an A grade in A-level maths, don't panic. Anything above A-level maths (or equivalent) will be a bonus, providing you with an easier ride in the first couple of maths modules where what I imagine is the syllabus of A-level further maths is covered.

The maths itself isn't that difficult, to be honest. You cover things like differential equations (which I did find quite difficult the first time round), Fourier series, Laplace transforms, matrices, and more, but you don't cover them to nearly the same depth or rigour as an actual maths student; it's more about learning methods to solve fairly standard sets of equations that come up.
I just took a look at the Fourier series and it does look difficult. Can I ask how the maths is taught to you and how much you study every day?

We just had normal lectures and then a bunch of tutorial sessions, that is for the first two years at least. Looking at my 3rd year schedule (I'm doing another math module), there's almost no tutorial sessions. Not gonna lie I didn't put much effort into it so I didn't do well but it really does vary from person to person. For me personally, if I go over stuff I just learned in a lecture that day and the return to it the next day or so, it sticks. Tutorials also really help if you're prepared!
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
It's an engineering degree, not a maths degree. As long as you have A-level maths or equivalent (I did highers), your maths knowledge will be sufficient to begin the course - if you can get an A grade in A-level maths, don't panic. Anything above A-level maths (or equivalent) will be a bonus, providing you with an easier ride in the first couple of maths modules where what I imagine is the syllabus of A-level further maths is covered.

The maths itself isn't that difficult, to be honest. You cover things like differential equations (which I did find quite difficult the first time round), Fourier series, Laplace transforms, matrices, and more, but you don't cover them to nearly the same depth or rigour as an actual maths student; it's more about learning methods to solve fairly standard sets of equations that come up.

Do you think that my lack of experience with physics will make it more difficult and do lecturers spend a lot of time making sure you understand the equations or do they expect you to go away and self learn most of it?
Do you think that my lack of experience with physics will make it more difficult

Possibly. I don't know what the syllabus of A-level physics is, so it's hard to say.

and do lecturers spend a lot of time making sure you understand the equations or do they expect you to go away and self learn most of it?

Depends on the university.

Quick Reply

Latest