The Student Room Group

Choosing medical school help

I can't decide which medical schools to apply to.
My GCSEs are 5A*, 5A, 1B
My AS results are AAAAA
My predicted A2s are A*A*A*A (and a B in EPQ)
I'm taking the UKCAT in a few days time :s-smilie:
I've had some medical work experience in a hospice and a GP surgery

I've looked at Cambridge (although I doubt I'll apply there as it's so competitive and I don't have much of a chance), Southampton, Brighton & Sussex, Exeter, Bristol (they've got no entrance exam so they have huge numbers of applicants anyway), Plymouth, UCL, Imperial and possibly Cardiff (although they want 6A*s at GCSE so maybe not).

Which medical schools should I apply to? Are there any others that I should consider applying to? Which ones do I have the best chance of getting into? And finally, what UKCAT score should I get to have a realistic chance of getting in?
Original post by Hoops14
My GCSEs are 5A*, 5A, 1B
My AS results are AAAAA

I've looked at Cambridge (although I doubt I'll apply there as it's so competitive and I don't have much of a chance), Southampton, Brighton & Sussex, Exeter, Bristol (they've got no entrance exam so they have huge numbers of applicants anyway), Plymouth, UCL, Imperial and possibly Cardiff (although they want 6A*s at GCSE so maybe not).

Which medical schools should I apply to? Are there any others that I should consider applying to? Which ones do I have the best chance of getting into? And finally, what UKCAT score should I get to have a realistic chance of getting in?

Cambridge might be a choice if your AS UMS was high. Some people get only offers from Oxbridge because their emphasis is on academia. For UKCAT score try about 730 or higher for UKCAT heavy ones. Though the cutoff may be lower.
Reply 2
Can anybody suggest where I'd be ok to apply with these stats:3a* 8a* 1cUkcat 692.5 band 1

Doing ib with predictions of 40/45Currently looking at Newcastle Southampton Exeter barts Manchester st George's
Original post by Mrmed1998
Can anybody suggest where I'd be ok to apply with these stats:3a* 8a* 1cUkcat 692.5 band 1

Doing ib with predictions of 40/45Currently looking at Newcastle Southampton Exeter barts Manchester st George's

I don't know about IB so I can't help with that (sorry!) but I wouldn't reccomend Newcastle because they're normally very particular on UKCAT and while yours is Great it's not spectacular and the UKCAT boundary normally lies on 700+
Original post by Hoops14
My GCSEs are 5A*, 5A, 1B
My AS results are AAAAA

Don't apply to Cardiff. Last years cutoff was 6A*s and it has a chance of increasing this year (of course it could decrease but why bother when you'd have a more secure chance of interview at a different choice). Around 700+- 20 points is seen as a competitive UKCAT score (apart from to Newcastle and Durham)
Reply 5
Is that based on their general cut off or based on one year in particular.Also would you say the other options are ok? Sorry for the questions
Original post by Mrmed1998
Is that based on their general cut off or based on one year in particular.Also would you say the other options are ok? Sorry for the questions

UKCAT cut-off is relatively high for newcastle because it's their emphasis for selecting applicants.

2013 entry UKCAT cut-off was 695
2014 entry UKCAT cut-off was 745
Not sure on 2015 but I'd imagine it would increase or stay around the same because apparently last years UKCAT scores were inflated slightly.
Reply 7
Original post by TheStudent21
Cambridge might be a choice if your AS UMS was high. Some people get only offers from Oxbridge because their emphasis is on academia. For UKCAT score try about 730 or higher for UKCAT heavy ones. Though the cutoff may be lower.

Is bang on 90% UMS overall competitive for Cambridge?

Original post by Docjones1
Don't apply to Cardiff. Last years cutoff was 6A*s and it has a chance of increasing this year (of course it could decrease but why bother when you'd have a more secure chance of interview at a different choice). Around 700+- 20 points is seen as a competitive UKCAT score (apart from to Newcastle and Durham)

What would you consider a university with a more secure chance of interview?
Original post by Hoops14
Is bang on 90% UMS overall competitive for Cambridge?

What would you consider a university with a more secure chance of interview?

I remember seeing some stats that said people who averaged 90% had about 20% chance of offer. You will get an interview given your PS is decent. That said the 90% must be across the three most relevant subjects, as that's how cambridge judges it.

University with a secure chance of interview is a strange one seeing as you haven't done the UKCAT yet.

As far as I'm aware your grades allow for pretty much any Unis apart from Edinburgh, Birm and Cardiff - these focus highly on GCSEs. and require 7+ in general. The rest of choice depends on your UKCAT.
sorry to interrupt, but i'd really appreciate any advice on where to apply!

Scottish Highers:
Maths B
English A
Chemistry A
Biology A
French A

Currently doing Scottish Advanced Highers:
Chemistry
Biology
French
and Higher Economics

My UKCAT Results:
VR 670
QR 640
AR 720 (dont ask, i have no clue! xD)
DA 690
SJT Band 2
So average 680
Total score 2720

And other than that my teachers have said my personal statement is outstanding, I've done loads of volunteering, work experience, care home job etc.

Any advice at all on choices would be very much appreciated!
Reply 10
Sorry to interrupt! But I'm Irish and a bit confused about where to apply to med school😅
I got quite a low ukcat:
Vr: 470
Qr: 650
Ar: 610
Da: 630
Sjt: band 2
Overall: 2360😓 will this be a deal breaker?

Junior cert results(GCSE):
9A's and 2B's( in Irish and maths)

My predicted grades should be good, along with a good reference, a lot of work experience and volunteering and a really good personal statement!
I'm hoping to apply to Cardiff, Exeter, Nottingham and Hull/ York. Would my poor ukcat score have a huge effect on any of these universities? Any help would really be appreciated as I'm a bit overwhelmed with the process!
Reply 11
I just sat the ukcat and got 2360 overall.
I'm an Irish citizen and got 9A's and 2B's in my junior cert, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in GCSE results?
my predicted grades are good and I have a strong reference, personal statement and have done a lot ofvolunteering and work experience.
I'm struggling to figure out where to apply for medicine and was hoping I could get some advice relating to my choices!
I'm thinking of Cardiff, Exeter, Hull/York and Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending