The Student Room Group

Want to go to Cambridge to study Law

Hi! I want to go to Cambridge and study Law but I just received my GCSEs and I feel that they are pretty week... But do they really matter?
Reply 1
Original post by leprechaun_100
Hi! I want to go to Cambridge and study Law but I just received my GCSEs and I feel that they are pretty week... But do they really matter?

Depends. They do matter a bit for some subjects, notably Medicine and... Law.

How weak?

And a strong Sixth Form performance will always help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Depends. They do matter a bit for some subjects, notably Medicine and... Law.

How weak?

And a strong Sixth Form performance will always help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 1A* 7A and 4B
Reply 3
I got 1A* 7A and 4B

To be honest I don't know enough about Law admissions to be sure - but I expect a good Law Test will help a lot.

And as I said, AS/A2 performance is much more important.
Original post by jneill
To be honest I don't know enough about Law admissions to be sure - but I expect a good Law Test will help a lot.

And as I said, AS/A2 performance is much more important.

Ok, thanks!! ☺️
Ok, thanks!! ☺️

You could get an interview, if your AS grades are obviously up to scratch, think 90+ average in all subjects (excl Gen Studies and Critical Thinking), a decent PS and submitted written work.
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
You could get an interview, if your AS grades are obviously up to scratch, think 90+ average in all subjects (excl Gen Studies and Critical Thinking), a decent PS and submitted written work.

The problem could be the lack of AS grades for current Y12 student starting the new A-level regime... I imagine a candidate predicted with strong A-levels, and perhaps with internal school exam marks to back it up, will still get an interview.

But Cambridge will be announcing their revised admissions plans at the start of next year.

Original post by jneill
The problem could be the lack of AS grades for current Y12 student starting the new A-level regime... I imagine a candidate predicted with strong A-levels, and perhaps with internal school exam marks to back it up, will still get an interview.

But Cambridge will be announcing their revised admissions plans at the start of next year.

ok thank you both! This has really helped :smile:
Reply 8
ok thank you both! This has really helped :smile:

I just found this on Churchill College's pages - not good news...

In order to maintain our academic prowess in Law, we have to apply very stringent standards for admission. To stand a chance of success, an applicant will have to have achieved exceptionally strong marks at GCSE level and will have to be demonstrably on the way to achieving similarly impressive marks in his or her A-levels. Virtually everyone admitted during the last decade has attained at least 9A*s at GCSE; we are very unlikely to call for interview any applicant who has fewer than 5A*s at GCSE or an average of less than 90% at AS-level across his/her three most relevant subjects.

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/subjects/law/
Original post by jneill
I just found this on Churchill College's pages - not good news...

In order to maintain our academic prowess in Law, we have to apply very stringent standards for admission. To stand a chance of success, an applicant will have to have achieved exceptionally strong marks at GCSE level and will have to be demonstrably on the way to achieving similarly impressive marks in his or her A-levels. Virtually everyone admitted during the last decade has attained at least 9A*s at GCSE; we are very unlikely to call for interview any applicant who has fewer than 5A*s at GCSE or an average of less than 90% at AS-level across his/her three most relevant subjects.

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/subjects/law/

That's specific to Churchill College, which for some reason has higher entry requirements for most subjects.
Reply 10
That's specific to Churchill College, which for some reason has higher entry requirements for most subjects.

Sure, but is it generally correct that Law does use GCSE performance for admissions more than other courses?
Original post by jneill
Sure, but is it generally correct that Law does use GCSE performance for admissions more than other courses?

I'm not so sure for Cambridge.

Other unis, yes, because they don't have the same kind of indicators such as AS percentages, interview (if offered), and the Cambridge Law Test (sat at interview).
Reply 12
I'm not so sure for Cambridge.

? So how do you know Churchill is significantly different to the other colleges. I'm pretty sure Law is one of the courses were colleges do pay closer attention to GCSEs.
Original post by jneill
? So how do you know Churchill is significantly different to the other colleges. I'm pretty sure Law is one of the courses were colleges do pay closer attention to GCSEs.

Have a look at other college websites for Law.
Reply 14
Have a look at other college websites for Law.

I have - they don't specify one way or the other (that I've seen).

And frustratingly Law isn't included on this rather useful pdf
http://bit.ly/SupportingApplicants

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending