blinkofaneyee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I am going to apply for universities this year (2016 entry) but I am so lost in what course to do, struggling between architecture and psychology. I know they are very different, but could anyone give me advice on this please?
Would not mind applying for both courses, but I guess that would be hard for personal statement?
GandalfWhite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Architecture is a professional course and is great for people with creativity and the right aptitude. In terms of study workload, it is much more demanding than Psychology as it is a course that will prepare you for actual architectural practice. It certainly is not a course one choose casually because you will need the motivation and determination when the going gets tough.

Determine whether you want to be an architect or not, first and foremost. If you decide to choose architecture as a career, then apply just for architecture. Applying for both is a sign you are not sure, and saying that in the PS will not be helpful. You do know you will need a portfolio to apply for architecture, which may be more important than the PS.
blinkofaneyee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by GandalfWhite)
Architecture is a professional course and is great for people with creativity and the right aptitude. In terms of study workload, it is much more demanding than Psychology as it is a course that will prepare you for actual architectural practice. It certainly is not a course one choose casually because you will need the motivation and determination when the going gets tough.

Determine whether you want to be an architect or not, first and foremost. If you decide to choose architecture as a career, then apply just for architecture. Applying for both is a sign you are not sure, and saying that in the PS will not be helpful. You do know you will need a portfolio to apply for architecture, which may be more important than the PS.
Hello, thanks for getting back to me..I've been really stressed over the past weeks. I am a very artsy person my favourite subject would be doing graphic design/advertising/conceptual stuff but tbh there aren't a lot of good ranking unis with graphic design course..wanna do graphic design at central saint martins but needs a foundation which i will apply to foundation for csm still...my dream is to become an art director(more on the advertising side) wanted to do architecture because it is design related but would it be a waste if I do not really want to become an architect but do an archi degree? I mean i like the things learnt in the degree as i have attended summer course of archi. Yet, it feels like archi is a degree that doesnt have much transferable skills(?) back to that is it worth doing an archi degree if I dont wanna become an architect.
I like psychology too because i like knowing more about social issues/ what makes us think in a certain way etc and psych seems to have more transferable skills than archi(?) and i like linking social issues n psych with art.. So what do you think? What should i do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blinkofaneyee)
Hello, thanks for getting back to me..I've been really stressed over the past weeks. I am a very artsy person my favourite subject would be doing graphic design/advertising/conceptual stuff but tbh there aren't a lot of good ranking unis with graphic design course..wanna do graphic design at central saint martins but needs a foundation which i will apply to foundation for csm still...my dream is to become an art director(more on the advertising side) wanted to do architecture because it is design related but would it be a waste if I do not really want to become an architect but do an archi degree? I mean i like the things learnt in the degree as i have attended summer course of archi. Yet, it feels like archi is a degree that doesnt have much transferable skills(?) back to that is it worth doing an archi degree if I dont wanna become an architect.
I like psychology too because i like knowing more about social issues/ what makes us think in a certain way etc and psych seems to have more transferable skills than archi(?) and i like linking social issues n psych with art.. So what do you think? What should i do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have what it takes to succeed in an architecture course, then take Architecture. Not true to say it does not have transferable skills. Far from it. Some architects move on to designing furniture, jewellery, and other things that need design skills. It is more difficult to move from graphic design to architecture than the other way round, not that you will want to once you discover the greater impact you can have as an architect compared to as a graphic designer. Perhaps it may be helpful to get hold of some books on famous architects to see what and how they have impacted on the world. If that still doesn't stir you, then maybe you should consider the other courses. An Architect can be an Art Director if one chooses. The eye for detail and creativity is same. More revolutionary and more impactful to be an Architect who can link social issues and psychology with art. Being an architect does not mean you have to give up on who you are.
Willow Rosenburg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try Psych first. Then, if you don't like it, you can switch classes later (Probabay; depends where you're going). Psych helped me a lot. I'd certainly recommend it.
blinkofaneyee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Willow Rosenburg)
Try Psych first. Then, if you don't like it, you can switch classes later (Probabay; depends where you're going). Psych helped me a lot. I'd certainly recommend it.
I dont think you can really switch classes.. Anyway, can you elaborate a bit on that? like what you are doing and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
With all due respect i think you're really restricting yourself by insisting that it must be a high ranking uni you go to. A lot of the higher ranking unis offer more traditional subjects and if you are more of an artistic person or someone who would benefit from doing a joint honours then i think you're doing yourself a disservice if you insist on only considering unis of a certain rank.

I'm saying this to try and be kind and helpful, not to have a moan
blinkofaneyee
Rep:
?
(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
With all due respect i think you're really restricting yourself by insisting that it must be a high ranking uni you go to. A lot of the higher ranking unis offer more traditional subjects and if you are more of an artistic person or someone who would benefit from doing a joint honours then i think you're doing yourself a disservice if you insist on only considering unis of a certain rank.

I'm saying this to try and be kind and helpful, not to have a moan
Thanks for getting back to me. And i understand, because I know it too..I hate myself for being this way..it would not be a problem if i am going to stay at uk for work after uni but because i am going back to a city where it is more about finance (ie not artsy city, super hustle bustle kind of city ) i kind of need to get into a good uni because "my" city is indeed a very very competitive place. I understand this is not an appropriate mentality i should have. But thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for getting back to me. And i understand, because I know it too..I hate myself for being this way..it would not be a problem if i am going to stay at uk for work after uni but because i am going back to a city where it is more about finance (ie not artsy city, super hustle bustle kind of city ) i kind of need to get into a good uni because "my" city is indeed a very very competitive place. I understand this is not an appropriate mentality i should have. But thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's your destiny and you are in control of it.

I think it would be a real shame not to follow your interests in the name of prestige.

I've been to a Russell Group and some ex polys and there's really not much in it. Better to do something meaningful (to you!) at an ex poly than to leave a prestigious uni with a degree in a subject that you have little interest in actually pursuing *points at self* (you'll only end up following your real calling later in life anyway. It's not always easy to do though so try and make the right choice the first time round).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads