The Student Room Group

Best Uni's for English Language/Linguistics.. HELP!

I really need advice on which Universities to apply for.. I'm applying for English Language/English Language + Linguistics

I achieved AAAB at AS in English Language, Geography, Sociology + History.
Dropped Geography so have AAB but my predictions are A*AA as i am resitting one of my history exams...

I'm definitely applying to:
Edinburgh
KCL
Lancaster
Sussex

I really want to study abroad for a term/year so that's been an important factor, but i also do want to go somewhere with a good reputation and future prospects

For my last choice i'm stuck between York/Sheffield/Leeds
Which one should I choose?
Do my choices seem good?
Any other universities you would reccomend? or ones that include a study abroad?
Reply 1
Hi, I know it's not mentioned on your list but I just graduated from my English Lang & Linguistics degree at the University of Kent with a 2:1 and had the most amazing time. When I first started applying to unis I also thought Sheffield would be my top choice, but when I visited Kent I fell in love with the campus aspect of it and the city of Canterbury must be one of the nicest places to spend three years. From your grade predictions perhaps Kent may seem a bit low, my entry requirements to get in were ABB, I ended up achieving AAA but decided to stick with Kent as they also give you a £2000 scholarship for getting these grades or higher.

To start with in first year you take two compulsory modules in first year to refresh your mind and set you up for the modules ahead on the course, all listed here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/secl/ell/undergraduate/english-language-and-linguistics.html#!structure there's also the opportunity to take 'wild' modules if you want to from other subjects, I took modules from politics and social science. The modules are a mix between exams and coursework, personally I found as I progressed through the three years the modules I took became less exam heavy, and I never had exams in January. The staff are good, and have a breadth of research interests and experience, and being a relatively small department compared to other subjects, it's easy to get hold of them and build up good relationships. Kent does offer a study abroad option as well.

Also, I just remembered, the newly built wing of the library has just opened this month and it looks amazing. Unfortunately I'm not there to make use of it. Plus some new accommodation has just finished being built. Any questions just ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am applying the same degree! Will apply UCL, Edinburgh, York/Sheffield/Lan ! Good luckkkk x
York is supposed to be very good for linguistics. I heard something about them having one of the best research departments for it - second in the world, apparently:
http://www.york.ac.uk/language/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending