This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hello
ive been downloading sum stuff of the net and now have all these pointless toolbar rubbish on my computer.
Does any one know how i can delete these toolbars completly off my computer?
thanks
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
control panel, add/remove, remove it. some of those are spyware so u will need to use a spy sweeper
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try searching for the actual installations, sometimes when downloading things of the net, they come with wierd things and they install themselves like gator or some other things. look in programs or search for them manually and delete them,
try Start > Find > Files and Folders and search for the the thing and delete it. You can also try the add/remove thing in control panel like ollie has said.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ok wots a spywear , where do i get it from...... im confused lol
thanxs 4 ur help
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
it says access is denied to the control panel
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Go to http://www.lavasoft.de and download the program should be useful.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i cant open anythign in my control panel ahhhhhhhhhhhh
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its because you have not got admin rights...... maybe
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
why, its my computer lol
all the stuff in control panel just cant b opened
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
now i cant open any thingy in my control panel....can some one plz help im crap with computers lol
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
why, its my computer lol
all the stuff in control panel just cant b opened
The most obvious cause of this problem is modification of the registry. There is a registry key, which can be modified using utilities such as TweakUI and System Policy Editor, which you or someone has most probably inadvertently modified. To reverse this change, open up regedit (go Start->Run and type regedit and hit enter). Before you perform the next step, I must warn you that modifying the registry can be very risky if you don't know what you're doing. As long as you follow the instructions below, exactly, there will be no problem.

Navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Micro soft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Poli cies\Explorer

Look in the right pane for a value called NoControlPanel. If you find it, then right click the NoControlPanel entry and select Delete and then confirm the delete operation by clicking yes.

Close regedit, and then reboot to make the change take effect.

If you've been downloading a lot of dodgy stuff off of the internet as you seem to imply, you may have (and most likely will have) viruses on your machine. I recommend you now do a virus scan (if you don't have a virus scanner, download AVG: Free Edition. If it finds anything, let it try and repair it and then hop on over to the Symantec virus Encyclopeadia, perform a search for the virus(es) in question and see what their behaviour is (if you're interested). Also you should then follow the given steps in the encyclopeadia to manually remove any viruses, even if AVG claims to have done it (just to be on the safe side).

You should then be able to use Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs to remove these weird toolbars that have appeared on your machine (if they are listed there). You are then recommend to use a SpyWare removal program such as Spybot to remove any remaining spyware on your machine.

My advice to you is not to download programs unless they are from a site such as Download.com or another respectable software download site or manufacturer. Whatever you do, DON'T click 'Yes' to those security messages which come up in Internet Explorer looking like the following, unless they are signed by someone such as Microsoft and you know and are happy with the software which will be installed as a result. Remember that clicking 'Yes' to those messages gives the program in question complete access to your system!

Hope this helps,
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
now i cant open any thingy in my control panel....can some one plz help im crap with computers lol
It's possibly because you may not have rights to access stuff in the control panel, parental lock or something.

Spyware are nasty pieces of software that install on to your PC, without your permission, (or without you knowing), sometimes hidden in other pieces of software such as the full version of Kazaa which is littered with them, with the intention, as the name suggests, to Spy.

I would recommend you do the following:

1) Install Spyware Blaster by clicking just there.

That programme once ran, prevents all the elements that are listed, ever being installed into your PC. To do this, open up the main programme window, by double clicking on the icon "Spyware Blaster", and you'll see a shed load of things listed in red. Firstly click on "Check For Updates", and accept whatever it says is required, it'll simply be lots more things that the programme developers have recognized people need protection against.
The when back to the main window, and all the things in red are back, click on the button that says "Select All", and then "Protect against Checked Items!", and it's done. You can close that.
That is a piece of prevention software

2) Install Ad-Aware 6 from here.
Run the programme, and "fix" everything that is picks up on.

3) Then, download Hijack This from here, and run Hijackthis.exe, from within the zip extraction window.

Follow the instructions for Hijackthis, that are listed here.

The forum it refers to, that you should go to with the contents of your Hijackthis log file, it this one just here.
As the instructions say, post a thread, (you do not have to register), called MyHijackThis Log, and they will be able to help you.
Wait for the advise they give, and follow it to exactly what they say.
One of the main guys on that board, it the bloke that developed the programme, they know what they're on about. But they are more than prepared to take you through step-by-step if you don't understand.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
rahaydenuk thanxs for ur help, ive got to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
but there is not control panel option, the only options are DEFAULT , CD AUTO RUN and NO DRIVETYPE AUTO.
wot do u suggest i do?

thanks to everyone for their help
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
rahaydenuk thanxs for ur help, ive got to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
but there is not control panel option, the only options are DEFAULT , CD AUTO RUN and NO DRIVETYPE AUTO.
wot do u suggest i do?

thanks to everyone for their help
Hmm... try the following:

Try doing a "Find" on C:\Windows for *.cpl.

For each of the results, double click it to see if it will open from the
find box (it should).

If one of the .cpl files won't open this way, then that one should be replaced with a fresh version from the Windows CD. Please ask if you need assistance with this. Some applications will install their own CPL files, such as QuickTime (each CPL file corresponds to one icon in Control Panel), so you wouldn't be able to get those from the Windows CD and would need to get them from the application in question's CD, although it would probably be much easier just to reinstall the application in question.

If none of them will open, then check the .cpl file extension association by going to My Computer -> View -> Folder Options and then the File Types tab (depending on your Windows version, it may be under the Tools menu instead of View).

Scroll down to "Control Panel extension" (CPL) and double click it.

In the next box, click on "edit"

In the "application used to perform.........", delete the contents, then copy/paste this command:

C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %1,%*

(This is assuming you have windows installed in the default C:\Windows folder, otherwise modify as appropriate.)

Use Ok/Apply/Close to get back out and the REBOOT the machine.

See if this helps.

I highly recommend a virus scan (as outlined in my previous post) before you do the steps outlined in this post, as it is most likely a virus which has caused these problems and thus if you do not get rid of it it could cause the same problems or worse later.

I hope this helps,
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding the most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (37)
28.24%
No (94)
71.76%

Watched Threads