Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish i could just meet the EVIL person who wrote this paper.... :mad:

Anyways its all over now...Just wondering:

How is this going to affect our final A-level grades in terms of UMS points???? :confused:

In June 2003 the "Grade Boundaries" for P3, according to edexcel, were:
    A - 51/75
    B - 43/ 75
    C - 35/ 75
    D - 28/ 75
    E - 21/ 75
    (Thankx to acid rain for mentioning this)

But lets say If u get you get 52/75 (A at p3 lol) Will you just get 51 UMS points???? How does this work?? can someone please explain?

ReputationRep:
    I take it you don't particularly like P3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)

How is this going to affect our final A-level grades in terms of UMS points???? :confused:

A - 51/75
    B - 43/ 75
    C - 35/ 75
    D - 28/ 75
    E - 21/ 75

But lets say If u get you get 52/75 (A at p3 lol) Will you just get 51 UMS points???? How does this work?? can someone please explain?
    80 UMP pts I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)

UMS points are out of 100 luckily, and the test papers are out of 75. 52/75 will give u a general percentage of 69.3%. UMS i think is generally carried out through initially finding the percentages of everyones score, and then they draw up a very complicated graph involving cumulative graphing. The graph will then predetermine sections of mark ranges (A-U) the "average range the population got"+"lower than average range"+"higher than average range". Any figures skewed well away from the "higher than" or "lower than" average score will hopefully be eliminated. From this graph they judge what percentage to get, for example, an A (A=80UMS or more) , and convert this back into point score out of 75. So in last years paper those who got exactly 51/75 were converted into 80UMS an A grade.

What I've just typed/said are based on absolutely no evidence lol. Majority of it, is from trying to piece together what teachers and some geeky students have briefly told me agggeees, and the rest is just improvisation .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)

A - 51/75
    B - 43/ 75
    C - 35/ 75
    D - 28/ 75
    E - 21/ 75

I don't know how it works exactly but you wouldn't get 51 UMS points, you'd get more like 81 as 80 is the A boundary.
    As the paper was generally considered hard then the likelihood of lowering the grade boundaries is increased meaning in theory less marks are needed for an A, but it still gets marked out of 100 and 80 is still the UMS boundary for an A.

ReputationRep:
    OOOOOOO thats good news i hope ur right...
    Excellent....all thos people who lost 20-30 marks in yesterdays P3 exams could end up with A's and B's lol

ReputationRep:
    CRIPES! 51?!?!? that's a bit...low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    CRIPES! 51?!?!? that's a bit...low!
    That exam was incredibly hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    That exam was incredibly hard!
    I figured, people got Bs in maths at school who had never gotten a B in their lives last year.

ReputationRep:
    I figured, people got Bs in maths at school who have ever gotten a B in their lives last year.
    Heh. Looking at that though, I did so badly (only got 68 I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Heh. Looking at that though, I did so badly (only got 68 I think).
    Oh man, now you're getting me worried about that module, hopefully my other module marks will pull it up I need an A or I don't get into uni. What did you get overall then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, now you're getting me worried about that module, hopefully my other module marks will pull it up I need an A or I don't get into uni. What did you get overall then?
    Hope you do well . You're going to IC, yeah? I got a B overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Hope you do well . You're going to IC, yeah? I got a B overall.
    Thank you! B is sitll good Hmm, think i should get back to revision, physics incidentally tis next week. have you broken up yet?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! B is sitll good Hmm, think i should get back to revision, physics incidentally tis next week. have you broken up yet?
    Enjoy and good luck! Nah, I've still got a week left (to do nothing bascially.. results out on Tuesday though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Enjoy and good luck! Nah, I've still got a week left (to do nothing bascially.. results out on Tuesday though).
    Nice. You uni students are all moping around doing nothing good luck for the results, though I'm sure you did fine.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. You uni students are all moping around doing nothing good luck for the results, though I'm sure you did fine.
    Lol. Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    B at P3 'd rock my world anytime :P fingers crossed :P

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.