The Student Room Group

Trinity College for maths

I have heard that application is hard... what are the average UMS at AS (or STEP), and olympiad stuff?? Should I put on my SAT 2 results as well?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by perpetua
I have heard that application is hard... what are the average UMS at AS (or STEP), and olympiad stuff?? Should I put on my SAT 2 results as well?

They are the best mathematicians in the country. 100% at (Maths) UMS less marks lost for silly mistakes is probably the going rate. Typical STEP offers are 1,1 sometimes S,1. Many are in the Olympiad teams. I think I saw somewhere that almost half of those who get offers having applied to Trinity actually get offers through the pool.
So applying to Trinity can be similar to putting in an open application.
Reply 2
Original post by Colmans
They are the best mathematicians in the country. 100% at (Maths) UMS less marks lost for silly mistakes is probably the going rate. Typical STEP offers are 1,1 sometimes S,1. Many are in the Olympiad teams. I think I saw somewhere that almost half of those who get offers having applied to Trinity actually get offers through the pool.
So applying to Trinity can be similar to putting in an open application.

I got 599/600 in Maths. And gold for BMO round one. Did catastrophically on BMO round two which I'm not going to put in my personal statement. Nice step result. Any hopes..?
I got 599/600 in Maths. And gold for BMO round one. Did catastrophically on BMO round two which I'm not going to put in my personal statement. Nice step result. Any hopes..?

You went to Hungary camp?
Reply 4

You would have to underperform significantly at interview not to get an offer. What was your STEP?
It's just about: is it Trinity or anything, versus Second choice college but no chance of ending up at far flung place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Both your UMS and BMO performance are good, although Colmans is wrong to suggest that you'd have to 'underperform significantly at interview not to get an offer'. Given that the majority of Trinity maths applicants will have comparable results, the interview will still be a key determining factor in who receives an offer. But you are definitely a realistic candidate.

One word of warning, however: if you are going to apply to Trinity be aware that they have been known to give out S,S STEP offers which are of course very difficult to satisfy. If you fail to meet their offer and get a 1,1 (or S,1) then another college is still extremely likely to fish you out during the summer pool, but the extra stress and pressure may mean that you underperform in the STEP and do not obtain the 1,1 grades you otherwise would have.

All the best with your application.
Reply 6
Nice step result. Any hopes..?

How nice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by lyranew
Both your UMS and BMO performance are good, although Colmans is wrong to suggest that you'd have to 'underperform significantly at interview not to get an offer'. Given that the majority of Trinity maths applicants will have comparable results, the interview will still be a key determining factor in who receives an offer. But you are definitely a realistic candidate.

One word of warning, however: if you are going to apply to Trinity be aware that they have been known to give out S,S STEP offers which are of course very difficult to satisfy. If you fail to meet their offer and get a 1,1 (or S,1) then another college is still extremely likely to fish you out during the summer pool, but the extra stress and pressure may mean that you underperform in the STEP and do not obtain the 1,1 grades you otherwise would have.

You are forgetting about the winter pool. Of those who get offers having applied to Trinity around 1/4 to a 1/3 get offers from other colleges. The pool is supposed to even out your chances of getting an offer regardless of which college you applied to. So since there are only so many maths applicants will full UMS, Good STEP (although we have not been told what these results are) and BMO gold I still think if he doesn't underperform an offer is likely. It may not be from Trinity which is what I meant by considering whether one would prefer to apply to a second choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

I got a S in STEP 2 and a 1 in STEP 3. My Principal worries they might give me S, S ... It's quite a decent result though
Reply 9
Original post by lyranew

Thanks to all of you. I did not attend any camps... quite a pity...
Reply 10
I'm reading BMO style questions at the moment and doing as many specimen papers as possible, though there's not a lot ;P... The interview is quite vital isn't it...
Thanks to all of you. I did not attend any camps... quite a pity...

Wah... I was under the impression that >58 in BMO1 would get you an invitation to Hungary camp? Unless you're international?
Reply 12
So wait, what year are you in?
I got a S in STEP 2 and a 1 in STEP 3. My Principal worries they might give me S, S ... It's quite a decent result though

Really? In that case you may well get an unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, could I ask how you started and prepared (and merked) STEP?? Any tips from your success?

Also, are you a private school student?

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Renzhi10122
Wah... I was under the impression that >58 in BMO1 would get you an invitation to Hungary camp? Unless you're international?

Yeah I'm international.... ;P
Reply 16
Original post by lyranew
So wait, what year are you in?

Currently A2
Reply 17
Original post by AmarPatel98
Hi, could I ask how you started and prepared (and merked) STEP?? Any tips from your success?

Also, are you a private school student?

Best of luck :smile:

Aww thank you although I have to say part of it was luck... tbh I only did 4-5 completes in step 2. but I kinda wrote the full thing, like what I thought when I was doing the problems so that might got me some bonus marks... It was quite helpful to go through the syllabus... It's not completely useful but I basically got an idea of what they wanted to see, and a few past papers really helped...

but tbh I don't really know... I'm pretty pleased I got those marks but at the meantime I think the expectation for me at the interview would get higher... And my principal says they might give S, S... Anyway best luck to you as well!!
Yeah I'm international.... ;P

Ah, that makes sense then. Still international this year? Or will you be eligible?
Reply 19
Original post by Renzhi10122
Ah, that makes sense then. Still international this year? Or will you be eligible?

Probably still international:redface: Never mind the round two questions already hard enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending