The Student Room Group

Best universities for pure Mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannahmay01
5th best in the country according to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=mathematics but St. Andrews is in the middle of nowhere and my friends who go there wouldn't recommend it!

Oh I thought you meant above Warwick and Imperial. Even so Durham doesn't even ask for STEP and isn't known for its strength in Maths (I have no doubt that it's a good uni) so I'm a bit dubious. I remember a post somewhere which had a link to the research ratings and so on suggesting that Bath and Bristol are the next best after COWI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
Oh I thought you meant above Warwick and Imperial. Even so Durham doesn't even ask for STEP and isn't known for its strength in Maths (I have no doubt that it's a good uni) so I'm a bit dubious. I remember a post somewhere which had a link to the research ratings and so on suggesting that Bath and Bristol are the next best after COWI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've friends who do maths at Durham and they say it's a very demanding course even though they got a*a*a in A levels. The professors are very experienced and experts in their subjects. However, they have been known to set impossible questions for fun!
Original post by Read Euler
From Hannahmay01's profile:

"Hi I'm a first year at Durham University studying primary education!"

Biased much?

Maybe Durham > Warwick for something like Physics, but for Maths just no.

They were in no particular order. I don't think people would deny that Durham is a fantastic university including maths.
University of Huddersfield
Original post by RichE
I would suggest that the Cambridge maths course is somewhat more specialized and with more of a theoretical physics slant than a balanced maths course ought to be.

I would be the first to agree that finding the right balance in a maths degree course is difficult (espscailly at the beginning) and that some of the decisions made about e.g. vector spaces are arguable. But a defence can be made along the lines of better to expose students to examples before hitting the machinery of abstraction.

When I did the course (many, many years ago) at the height of the Bourbaki approach to pure mathematics, the sudden exposure to unmotivated abstraction was a shock even to one who went on to become a pure mathematician!

Of course that's only an opinion, but it implies that a particularly pure-inclined mathematician would probably be less happy doing the Cambridge first year.

This raises the other concern that I have: very few beginning mathematics undergraduates really have a grasp of (a) what "pure" and "applied" mathematics really means; and (b) where their strengths (and inclinations) really lie. The general Cambridge approach (as I understand it) is to keep options open; this is reflected too in the Natural Sciences Tripos - for which Cambridge also sometimes receives criticism!
Original post by Hannahmay01
I've friends who do maths at Durham and they say it's a very demanding course even though they got a*a*a in A levels. The professors are very experienced and experts in their subjects. However, they have been known to set impossible questions for fun!

In most good unis this is the case. University maths is meant to be a big step up from school maths unless you go to a low ranked uni.
Reply 26
LOL durham is only slightly above average for maths, along the likes of Manchester. Doesn't come close to Imperial and definitely nowhere near the level of oxbridge/warwick.
Durham doesn't even ask for STEP. I know a guy there who got A*AAB and he worked so hard for those grades and couldn't get an A* in further maths and failed STEP miserably. He's on track for a first class degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Buses
LOL durham is only slightly above average for maths, along the likes of Manchester. Doesn't come close to Imperial and definitely nowhere near the level of oxbridge/warwick.
Durham doesn't even ask for STEP. I know a guy there who got A*AAB and he worked so hard for those grades and couldn't get an A* in further maths and failed STEP miserably. He's on track for a first class degree.

It is interesting that Warwick now accepts A*A*A* with no STEP. Would say the 1 is harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by yl95
It is interesting that Warwick now accepts A*A*A* with no STEP. Would say the 1 is harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They still accept offer with 1/2 in STEP? But yeah they are mixing up the entry criteria a bit.
EDIT: I heard its a trial to see how people who can handle well the sheer workload of A-levels do on a maths degree vs. people with inherent talent. Apparently they are reverting back to the STEP 1 offer next year. tbh it's interesting but also random lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Buses
They still accept offer with 1/2 in STEP? But yeah they are mixing up the entry criteria a bit.
EDIT: I heard its a trial to see how people who can handle well the sheer workload of A-levels do on a maths degree vs. people with inherent talent.

Oh, interesting. Yeah they do.
Original post by Buses
EDIT: I heard its a trial to see how people who can handle well the sheer workload of A-levels do on a maths degree vs. people with inherent talent. Apparently they are reverting back to the STEP 1 offer next year. tbh it's interesting but also random lol

STEP and inherent talent are not really that correlated..
Reply 31
Original post by hassassin04

lol tell that to the cambridge mathmos
Reply 32
It's better Durham or St Andrews ?
Original post by hassassin04

Eh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cambridge is the best university in the country for maths. Second to that I would say Imperial.

Can't speak for pure maths in particular
Original post by Buses
lol tell that to the cambridge mathmos

I did. If anyone has objections- fire away. But note that I did not say STEP is no indicator at all.
Reply 36
It's better Durham or St Andrews ?
Reply 37
Any idea ?
Original post by RichE
All of which I think could be considered what I termed "related maths". Yes, these subjects are also of interest to pure mathematicians, but your post suggests that their presence in Cambridge's first year hasn't pushed out other - I would suggest - more fundamental mathematics (not necessarily all pure). It seems weird to me that the Cambridge course is teaching Special Relativity, Mobius transformations and Cartesian tensors in the first year and omitting vector spaces and Fourier series. I would suggest that the Cambridge maths course is somewhat more specialized and with more of a theoretical physics slant than a balanced maths course ought to be. Of course that's only an opinion, but it implies that a particularly pure-inclined mathematician would probably be less happy doing the Cambridge first year.

That's... an interesting assessment of Cambridge's course. I tend to look at what is considered "core" (i.e. what is compulsory) and what isn't when comparing courses. Whilst only the first year at Cambridge is compulsory, there are still courses in the second year which pretty much everyone takes: Linear Algebra (which covers vector spaces rigorously) and Methods (which covers Fourier Series) are taken by a vast majority of all students. In addition, my understanding is that the first year "Vectors and Matrices" course does introduce vector spaces, albeit in passing (along with the concepts of linear dependence and span amongst other fundamental concepts).

No course is perfect - I personally agree with you regarding Special Relativity for example - but there is plenty of pure maths in Cambridge's first year. In particular, the "Numbers & Sets" course is a neat way (both in the literal sense and as the American colloquialism) to discuss "foundational" topics without any formal logic or set theory. Conversely, Oxford's course is more broad in the first year, but with less depth. From an outsiders perspective, that's the biggest difference: Cambridge's "depth" versus Oxford's "breadth". however taking the first two years together, I don't really see fundamental differences between Oxford's and Cambridge's pure.

PS: I am intrigued by Oxford's data course in Prelims, I like that people are getting exposure to a modern and important part of mathematics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Buses

You can't judge a person on his past performance in A Level, it is the latest performance that matters and counts most. Maybe he has put in even more effort in his university years and hence justifying his acomplishments.

Quick Reply

Latest