leeroy221
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,
After 15 years of supply chain work I have enrolled on a BTEC level 3 mechanical engineering course. Totally different from the work I have previously done. I am doing a lot of squatting up to get to the level my fellow students are at (and its taking a lot
One of out researches was to investigate different types of materials and their classifications, would this simply be:
Metals: Aluminium, copper etc.
Ceramics: Alumia, glass, etc.
Polymers: Bakelite
Composites: Wood, concrete
Or am I looking at the wrong things? This is for unit 10, properties and applications of engineering materials

Got a feeling I will be on here a lot for advice,
Thanks, Leeroy
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by leeroy221)
Hi all,
After 15 years of supply chain work I have enrolled on a BTEC level 3 mechanical engineering course. Totally different from the work I have previously done. I am doing a lot of squatting up to get to the level my fellow students are at (and its taking a lot
One of out researches was to investigate different types of materials and their classifications, would this simply be:
Metals: Aluminium, copper etc.
Ceramics: Alumia, glass, etc.
Polymers: Bakelite
Composites: Wood, concrete
Or am I looking at the wrong things? This is for unit 10, properties and applications of engineering materials

Got a feeling I will be on here a lot for advice,
Thanks, Leeroy
I teach maths so not an expert but this is a site our GCSE students use:

http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm

It has further classification e.g. plastics and metals split into ferrous/non-ferrous and wood has various types.

Try google too as I found some good stuff.
leeroy221
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for tge reply Muttley, it was a great help.
i have gone through listing the metals, broken down into ferrous and non-ferrous, polymers, composites and ceramics. I then went a bit further by listing some of their properties like brittleness etc. While also noting what it all means.
Hopefully that will suffice and its what they are after 😊
thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads