Psychology E.P.Q Question Help Please - Urgent

Watch
Samiz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi. I'm applying for Psychology at Uni next year and I've decided to do an EPQ too. My original idea was a presentation, to go back to my high school and give students a 'taster session' but my tutor said that was too broad and told me to do the essay so I only have a bit of time to find a topic.

I'm mainly interested in Cognitive aspects of Psychology but I like all parts. Some ideas I've found are:·
  • Anxiety in Children/the cognitive effects of anxiety·
  • Effects of eating/not eating breakfast on cognitive performance·
  • Effects of video games on cognitive development·
  • Something to do with child behaviour/violence·
  • The mental imagery debate·
  • The recovered/false memory debate

Apparently it's best to do something that has a debate to it/two sides to it. But what I'm mainly looking for is something with enough research and content out there to write 5,000 words on.

Thanks in advance.
Samiz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone????????
_Sinnie_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have not heard of EPQ before (I did my A-levels 10 years ago!) so just had a quick google. This is going to be tricky for me to answer as I'm not clued up on what they want as an A-level standard and I've only read this page:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/programmes/aqa...ct/the-aqa-epq

To me it sounds like you need to be collating research (or even your own data?) on a topic and then answering a question or problem. I'm not sure on the expected scope and scale of it? The website indicates to me that you're meant to undertake a very small scale project (Does breakfast impact on students performance in early morning lessons? Go through existing literature to form the basis of your paper and maybe deliver a small maths test in the morning to students who do and don't have breakfast) whereas your post makes it sound a bit more like a standard essay?

There'll be a ton of information about anxiety in children.
GM11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to study Psychology (PBS) at Cambridge and I found an EPQ a VERY good thing to have under my belt. It was the main topic of discussion at one of my interviews and the interviewers were very interested.

My EPQ was in Cetacean Intelligence within the field of Comparative Neurology and Intelligence.

A debate is much easier to write an essay on. Therefore a good title would be a question as this lets you argue both sides equally and then you can conclude with your opinion and build from there. Just make sure you're truly interested in the topic as the research and essay writing can be very tedious and you'll be spending a lot of time on it.

Throw lots of your A-Level knowledge in there but you have to show that you've gone beyond the A-Level syllabus. This is beneficial as wen writing your personal statement it'll demonstrate that you have a greater interest and knowledge compared to other making you a competitive applicant.

EPQ was an absolute nightmare and I don't think I've shouted at so many teachers before that 😂 all the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.3%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.36%

Watched Threads