The Student Room Group

Computer related degree without Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, but he doesn't want to go to poor ones.

Hardly a fair assessment. Swansea for example are currently ranked 23rd for computer science and have higher graduate prospects than some of the top 12 universities.
Reply 21
Newcastle is a decent university, so I'd apply for that, as well as the Durham and Manchester foundation years.

I personally would go for a foundation year at a more prestigious university.

I'd say the Newcastle one looks best for you, but the foundation ones are also available to apply for in the same cycle. You don't have to choose between them? Like you can apply for all in UCAS 2016/17 cycle.

Without looking into the courses (which you should do) I'd say

Newcastle with Placement Year
Durham foundation
Manchester foundation
Nottingham
Leicester

Thanks. I understand that you don't have to choose between them but just wanted to know which of those were better. Also another question, QMUL offer a 4yr MSci to AAB no maths as well as a 4yr BSc with Ind Placement, could you explain the difference between them and why?

Like is Msci more valuable than BSc and a year in industry?

I think QMUL would be second option and I would wipe off Leicester.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Thanks. I understand that you don't have to choose between them but just wanted to know which of those were better. Also another question, QMUL offer a 4yr MSci to AAB no maths as well as a 4yr BSc with Ind Placement, could you explain the difference between them and why?

Like is Msci more valuable than BSc and a year in industry?

I think QMUL would be second option and I would wipe off Leicester.

I think you need to look up these things.

BSc is a 3 year course. A bachelor's
MSc is a 4 year course. A masters

An industrial year lengthens the course by a year.

Is there not an MSc with Industrial Placement (would be 5 years)

it depends what you want, if you want to go into academia, go down a masters. And then maybe a PhD later. If you want to go straight into industry, then a placement would give you a better chance
Reply 23
I think you need to look up these things.

BSc is a 3 year course. A bachelor's
MSc is a 4 year course. A masters

An industrial year lengthens the course by a year.

Is there not an MSc with Industrial Placement (would be 5 years)

it depends what you want, if you want to go into academia, go down a masters. And then maybe a PhD later. If you want to go straight into industry, then a placement would give you a better chance

Sorry I believe didn't ask the question clearly enough. To put it frankly, would I be more likely to be employed with an MSc over a BSc with industry or is doing an MSc with Industry for five years the best option to get employed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH
Sorry I believe didn't ask the question clearly enough. To put it frankly, would I be more likely to be employed with an MSc over a BSc with industry or is doing an MSc with Industry for five years the best option to get employed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

MSc with Industry >>> BSc with Industry
Reply 25
MSc with Industry >>> BSc with Industry

Alright thanks, sorry about being so awkward! Just wanted to know if it was worth the extra year and extra 10k+

Where can I find the application rate for these degrees? I am likely going to achieve AAB with C in gen studies and an EPG but that's just on the mark for entry and without maths. Do you think I stand a good chance of being offered a place at QMUL/Newcastle to do the 5year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH
Alright thanks, sorry about being so awkward! Just wanted to know if it was worth the extra year and extra 10k+

Where can I find the application rate for these degrees? I am likely going to achieve AAB with C in gen studies and an EPG but that's just on the mark for entry and without maths. Do you think I stand a good chance of being offered a place at QMUL/Newcastle to do the 5year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say so, but I don't have any stats (probably are some)

Just Google it, should be there on their course details

I can't really comment sorry, you'd need a good PS to show you genuinely are interested in the course
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you sure CompSci is the right degree for you? From what you've said, it sounds like software/hardware/electronic engineering would be a lot more up your street. Computer Science is not the same thing as programming, it's a much more theoretical and mathematical subject. I think you need to look past the pay and prestige of the course and think more about whether the content is something you'd actually enjoy.

Exactly, I do a PhD, my supervisor and I are in CompSci department. His degree+PhD were in maths, my degree was also in maths, *and* I can't even program.
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you sure CompSci is the right degree for you? From what you've said, it sounds like software/hardware/electronic engineering would be a lot more up your street. Computer Science is not the same thing as programming, it's a much more theoretical and mathematical subject. I think you need to look past the pay and prestige of the course and think more about whether the content is something you'd actually enjoy.

I guess it also depends on the university you study compSci. I didn't take a year 1 programming module, when it came to year 2 modules, I found that most of them require a background in programming.
Reply 29
I'd say so, but I don't have any stats (probably are some)

Just Google it, should be there on their course details

I can't really comment sorry, you'd need a good PS to show you genuinely are interested in the course

What sort of things can I do in a short period (1-3months) to learn/work as, in order to strengthen the Personal Statement? I understand part of CS is about working in a team so I have down a lot of team-related projects I have been apart of.

I can't find any non-maths PS for CS which is a shame so my PS is definetly going to be unique haha!
Original post by TrojanH
What sort of things can I do in a short period (1-3months) to learn/work as, in order to strengthen the Personal Statement? I understand part of CS is about working in a team so I have down a lot of team-related projects I have been apart of.

I can't find any non-maths PS for CS which is a shame so my PS is definetly going to be unique haha!

Read Alan Turing omnibus or something

Google computer science books, and look for basic introductions that you can talk about

Maybe as you do psychological, artificial intelligence can be an area? Processes maybe
Read Alan Turing omnibus or something

Google computer science books, and look for basic introductions that you can talk about

Maybe as you do psychological, artificial intelligence can be an area? Processes maybe

Lol, basically what I said in my PM hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, basically what I said in my PM hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great minds :wink:

OP you're probably better off not PMing us separately so we don't repeat
Reply 33
Great minds :wink:

OP you're probably better off not PMing us separately so we don't repeat

There's no harm in getting more advice? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH
There's no harm in getting more advice? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all, but keep it all in one place so we can keep track of what's said:tongue:

Others can benefit as well then
Reply 35
Not at all, but keep it all in one place so we can keep track of what's said:tongue:

Others can benefit as well then

No problem I'll get home and paste his advice omitting any personal details

Also should I bother doing an EPQ on computers or something? Is learning actual code and dismissing the EPQ what I should be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH
No problem I'll get home and paste his advice omitting any personal details

Also should I bother doing an EPQ on computers or something? Is learning actual code and dismissing the EPQ what I should be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I normally say the EPQ is pointless, but in your case I think it would be a good way to demonstrate an interest.

Maybe you can actually learn to code for your EPQ, a programme? I'm not sure how advanced it would have to be, or anything however. You might have to ask someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending