This discussion is closed.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I started this thread due to complaints over the cambridge thread bewing hijacked, so this thread will continue the discussion previously stareted on the cambridge thread re oxford.
Egan, see my last post on the cambridge post.
Thanks.

Phil
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*sets up tent at new destination*

ok- will quote you so any confused readers know what I am replying to...

Originally posted by PHIL
Thanks Egan, did your brother make an open application, or did he specify a college? Are you looking at oxford also?

Phil
He applied specifically to St Catherines (AKA St Catz *how I hate that z*) I believe.
As for me...well for starters I am a few years behind you- well just starting GCSEs next year...but I doubt I'll be looking at Oxbridge as I am more looking into a 'design-related' career where as I know Oxford/Cambridge are more academically focused (lets just hope I don't change my mind!)
My sister is applying to Cambridge to do Languages (perhaps a little friendly family rivalry!) but I think I'll prob end up at some Art College or something...but that's a good few years away now...

Anyway- which college have you applied to? And remind me of the subjects?

Good luck once again

Egan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I've just done ASs, and hope to do econmics and management, possibly at pembroke.

Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Sorry, forgot to sign in again.

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you on a shared comp? If not- why not try leaving it signed in for your own convenience? :P
Just a suggestion.

Egan
PHIL
Rep:
?
I thought I was on automatic log in, but somehow it doesn't always work.

Phil
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I found my interview for law at Oxford really interesting. They give u something to read which u can't read because ur so bloody nervous and then have to talk about various stuff. The long silences are a bit awkward but I think everyone has them. Need time to think etc... Interview isn't everything people. I didn't get in because of half my written paper. My interviews were good apparantly. They seemed totally pants at the time. Good luck to anyone applying.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Toyosi
I found my interview for law at Oxford really interesting. They give u something to read which u can't read because ur so bloody nervous and then have to talk about various stuff. The long silences are a bit awkward but I think everyone has them. Need time to think etc... Interview isn't everything people. I didn't get in because of half my written paper. My interviews were good apparantly. They seemed totally pants at the time. Good luck to anyone applying.
ermm i dont think you are supposed to have that many long silences, i got in to study law at oxford and there were no long silences in my interview. i found that i wasnt nervous whilst reading the material only once i got in.

its a good idea to take a dictionary with you when you go for interview, they tell you to go back to your room to read the material and having a dictionary on hand is useful for deciphering any long/ambigious words they might have.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hiya, if anyones thinking about applying to oxford go to

www.oxbridge-info.co.uk/ and go to the profiles sections. Loads have people have written about their interview experience and I found it really useful before my interview last year.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just randomly wanted to remind you if you're heading to Oxford- get saving! You are not allowed to have a job (unless specially given permission) as they don't want you distracted from your studies...

Also- take a bike! Because you are not allowed to have a car there either...

Only 13 days to go- good luck to all

Egan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi Phil, what course are you hoping to do at Oxford?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My God Egan, your syntax and grammar is excellent. You say you're just starting your GCSEs?

It makes a nice change to see people using English properly. A lot of people on the internet just seem so lazy when it comes to typing up a sentence. They seem to resort to 'text language' even though it's not necessary. I mean, how many micro-seconds does it take to write 'you' instead of 'u'? A lot of people also think that it looks 'cool' and the 'in-thing', but really it doesn't. They just look uneducated and lazy.

The biggest annoyance of all is the small 'i' in sentences. I mean, a simple tap of the caps button is all it takes, and the end result? Great practise for future typing and an attractive well-written post for people to read.

Grrrr @ lazy typing

Before everyone quotes me to death with angry replies, I'm not the only person that thinks this.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
Hiya, if anyones thinking about applying to oxford go to

www.oxbridge-info.co.uk/ and go to the profiles sections. Loads have people have written about their interview experience and I found it really useful before my interview last year.
That website is good but quite a lot of what seem like good people didn't get an offer, which must be quite off putting for some.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
My God Egan, your syntax and grammar is excellent. You say you're just starting your GCSEs?

It makes a nice change to see people using English properly. A lot of people on the internet just seem so lazy when it comes to typing up a sentence. They seem to resort to 'text language' even though it's not necessary. I mean, how many micro-seconds does it take to write 'you' instead of 'u'? A lot of people also think that it looks 'cool' and the 'in-thing', but really it doesn't. They just look uneducated and lazy.

The biggest annoyance of all is the small 'i' in sentences. I mean, a simple tap of the caps button is all it takes, and the end result? Great practise for future typing and an attractive well-written post for people to read.

Grrrr @ lazy typing

Before everyone quotes me to death with angry replies, I'm not the only person that thinks this.
Whilest I (yes lets all get excited I used the capital letter - woo!) agree that it is good to see a board used by teenagers that isn't over ran by text speak, I don't think there would be much need to worry if the writing style was inconsistant, this is still meant to be a place to chat, as well as have some intellectual conversation and I believe that you'll find that when members are trying to argue a case, or indeed just make a point, they will write more like the essay style that has been almost enforced upon us during our time in education, particularly through KS4 and beyond.

What I will ask is what style you choose to use in text messages, because writing in full on texts costs a lot more, as it takes more characters to make your point, something that could be explained (and understood) just as well in the shortened form.

This board is not here to assess the use of perfect English, in it's posts, but whilst we are in the mode for analysing:

(Original post by [s)
mad[/s] Unregistered :mad:]
Grrrr @ lazy typing
Not exactly writing in full ourselves there are we ? You unregistered hypocrite you ! "I mean, how many micro-seconds does it take to write" 'at' rather than '@' !

Have to smile at these people that try and police the use of good English on a message board dominated by teenagers. If it was a board that had *careful phrasing moment* 'more aged' members that were unlikely to understand the shortened language which you take such a disliking to, I'm sure that it would be enforced more stringently, but in the meantime, provided it doesn't get ridiculous, people may feel free to post however they like.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It makes a nice change to see people using English properly...Before everyone quotes me to death with angry replies, I'm not the only person that thinks this.
Why thank you *bows*...yes I am just starting my GCSEs next year *sigh- so much younger than most people here*.
I agree with you...the 'i' thing irritates me but the thing I despise the most is when people spell cool as 'kool' *shiver*...
Unfortunatly I am in the minority of people who write like this- my friends will not be persuaded to do the same, ah well it'll be them who end up writing 'i', 'u', 'gr8' etc in the coursework/essays in a few years time...
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Why thank you *bows*...yes I am just starting my GCSEs next year *sigh- so much younger than most people here*.
I agree with you...the 'i' thing irritates me but the thing I despise the most is when people spell cool as 'kool' *shiver*...
Unfortunatly I am in the minority of people who write like this- my friends will not be persuaded to do the same, ah well it'll be them who end up writing 'i', 'u', 'gr8' etc in the coursework/essays in a few years time...
The most annoying part of 'nu-age' language is replacing 'th' witn a 'd'. Eg. 'That' becomes 'dat'
and 'This' becomes 'dis'

Do they (dey) not realishe that 'this' and 'dis' sound completely different?
It makes it seem that they are typing the owrds as they say them out loud but chewing gum as they do so.

I am the same age (15) as those people who use this languge, but after writing this message I now feel 52 years old.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes it is so great that you speak "properly" Egan. All my friends' writing has reduced to text speak too, and it's very annoying. Hopefully people like us won't give in to using such language!
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I mean, a simple tap of the caps button is all it takes,
I find it easier to hold "SHIFT" and at the same time pressing the letter, you can do it much quicker and it saves a few micro-seconds by pressing the caps lock button, then pressing the letter and then pressing the caps lock button again.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ƒlå®è®)
I find it easier to hold "SHIFT" and at the same time pressing the letter, you can do it much quicker and it saves a few micro-seconds by pressing the caps lock button, then pressing the letter and then pressing the caps lock button again.
Hmmm...I know that's perhaps the 'proper' way of doing it but I have to say I use the caps lock- possible because I tend to use only one or two fingers per hand (want to learn to touch type but that Mavis Beakan programme is all Americanny and annoying and I'm pretty fast as it is...blah!)

Yey for us correct-typists :P ! *the crowd cheers*
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Just randomly wanted to remind you if you're heading to Oxford- get saving! You are not allowed to have a job (unless specially given permission) as they don't want you distracted from your studies...

Also- take a bike! Because you are not allowed to have a car there either...

Only 13 days to go- good luck to all

Egan
I never knew this...

well bang goes that Uni off my list! What about cambriage?

btw I agree about the "your syntax and grammar is excellent" comment.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.1%
No (518)
65.9%

Watched Threads