Oxford Watch

This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Eeeee I can touch - type *shows off her immaculate typing skills while looking at the screen* (a typo there would have been so ironic!)
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How did you learn to touch type or is it just something you have gradually worked into...I can type quickly while looking at the screen but as I say only use a couple of fingers so am not as productive as I could be...ah well
gest
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
My God Egan, your syntax and grammar is excellent. You say you're just starting your GCSEs?

It makes a nice change to see people using English properly. A lot of people on the internet just seem so lazy when it comes to typing up a sentence. They seem to resort to 'text language' even though it's not necessary. I mean, how many micro-seconds does it take to write 'you' instead of 'u'? A lot of people also think that it looks 'cool' and the 'in-thing', but really it doesn't. They just look uneducated and lazy.

The biggest annoyance of all is the small 'i' in sentences. I mean, a simple tap of the caps button is all it takes, and the end result? Great practise for future typing and an attractive well-written post for people to read.

Grrrr @ lazy typing

Before everyone quotes me to death with angry replies, I'm not the only person that thinks this.

Your syntax and grammar are not excellent, however, and spelling practice is also required! It seems to me that while praising one member, you are criticizing others by default.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Just randomly wanted to remind you if you're heading to Oxford- get saving! You are not allowed to have a job (unless specially given permission) as they don't want you distracted from your studies...

Also- take a bike! Because you are not allowed to have a car there either...

Only 13 days to go- good luck to all

Egan

Just wanted to clarify this a bit, as I think the financial aspect might put some people off...
First off, there are no university rules forbidding cars or anything like that, some people do have them but because Oxford City Council deliberately discourages car use in the city centre (where most colleges are) they can be a real liability. Its not a problem though, everything is so compact that you never really have to walk for more then about 15 minutes to get anywhere.
Also, though stuff seems quite expensive there bear in mind that the terms are much shorter so you'll only be there 9 weeks instead of 11 which obviously means you'll spend less.
Hope this helps!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Also, though stuff seems quite expensive there bear in mind that the terms are much shorter so you'll only be there 9 weeks instead of 11 which obviously means you'll spend less.
Hmmm...true- but having said this, not all colleges provide accomodation for the 3 odd years you study there and rented accomodation outside the college will be more costly as you will probably be paying an annual fee...for example at St Catherine's you rent a room there for the first year and then have to find other accomodation for the second and possibly third (I think that's your choice depending on availability of rooms etc)...my brother is now renting a house with friends- it's very costly and you cannot chose to rent it just for the 9 weeks of each term- you pay for the house the entire year- so if you go home in the holidays you'll still be paying for it...here's when you need your student loans etc etc...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Hmmm...true- but having said this, not all colleges provide accomodation for the 3 odd years you study there and rented accomodation outside the college will be more costly as you will probably be paying an annual fee...for example at St Catherine's you rent a room there for the first year and then have to find other accomodation for the second and possibly third (I think that's your choice depending on availability of rooms etc)...my brother is now renting a house with friends- it's very costly and you cannot chose to rent it just for the 9 weeks of each term- you pay for the house the entire year- so if you go home in the holidays you'll still be paying for it...here's when you need your student loans etc etc...
Actually quite a few colleges do provide accommodation for all 3/4 years of an undergraduate degree, normally but not exclusively the rich ones, these include Christ Church, St Johns, Lincoln, I think Queens, Trinity and theres some others who I'm not sure about. Also some like Balliol, Wadham and LMH have some 2nd year accommodation and guarantee for other years. I'm surprised Catz doesnt guarantee accommodation for 2 years ie 1st and 3rd - I don't know of any other college who doesn't (and bear in mind this is still better then is available at most other unis). As for paying for accommodation over the holidays when you rent from private landlords- this is not an Oxford- exclusive thing, it happens everywhere, and here it is unusual to have to do it for two years as tends to be the case at non-collegiate. Obviously I don't have particularly detailed knowledge of housing at every college but if you're interested in applying the students union are able to give info to prospective applicants as are colleges themselves. So as I say, please don't be put off by the idea that coming here will be expensive, its no more so then the rest of the south east. That said, theres a couple of colleges who are having big rent hikes next year so check this out before you apply!
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Just randomly wanted to remind you if you're heading to Oxford- get saving! You are not allowed to have a job (unless specially given permission) as they don't want you distracted from your studies...

Egan
Where did you see that – I’m going to Pembroke next term as long as I get the grades and I don’t remember seeing anything about that in either of the information packs they sent me.

You’re probably right as I seem to remember it from somewhere – I just can find where.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm surprised Catz doesnt guarantee accommodation for 2 years ie 1st and 3rd - I don't know of any other college who doesn't
Er...I thought I'd implied that it was available for the third year- I phrased it badly me think...basically 1st year- in college, 2nd year- out of college, 3rd year- optional
As for paying for accommodation over the holidays when you rent from private landlords- this is not an Oxford- exclusive thing, it happens everywhere
I didn't say it wasn't the case everywhere- the difference is with Oxford you can't work during term time, unless you have special permission, thus you will need some store of money, or a loan, to manage costs (I believe that was my original point?).
So as I say, please don't be put off by the idea that coming here will be expensive
It was never my intention to create that impression (if you think I have said what I have said in an attempt to put people off!) I also didn't say that it was more expensive to go to Oxford- only that as I have just restated- you can't have a part-time job during term... Hmmm...I feel I have been misunderstood- I was merely trying to inform *-by the way if I have taken this a bit wrong my appologies, it's late, my eyes are knackered from watching anime all day and I'm just generally tired*...

(Original post by loftx)
Where did you see that – I’m going to Pembroke next term as long as I get the grades and I don’t remember seeing anything about that in either of the information packs they sent me.

You’re probably right as I seem to remember it from somewhere – I just can find where.
Erm...well as I have said, my brother is at Oxford *why oh why the 'z'?* so I have just picked up random facts about it and I thought they might perhaps be useful to anyone going...

Ah well good luck to you all as I have said, hope you get the grades- I'm sure you'll love it wherever you end up!

Egan

P.S- if there's anything else you have a burning desire to know about Oxford/PPE/St Catz or anything in general erm, well someone might be able to tell you more accuratly but I can ask my brother for you
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok cheers for the info - will try not to bother you about it too much more
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Er...I thought I'd implied that it was available for the third year- I phrased it badly me think...basically 1st year- in college, 2nd year- out of college, 3rd year- optional
I didn't say it wasn't the case everywhere- the difference is with Oxford you can't work during term time, unless you have special permission, thus you will need some store of money, or a loan, to manage costs (I believe that was my original point?).
It was never my intention to create that impression (if you think I have said what I have said in an attempt to put people off!) I also didn't say that it was more expensive to go to Oxford- only that as I have just restated- you can't have a part-time job during term... Hmmm...I feel I have been misunderstood- I was merely trying to inform *-by the way if I have taken this a bit wrong my appologies, it's late, my eyes are knackered from watching anime all day and I'm just generally tired*...

Oh don't worry, i'm not accusing you of deliberately trying to put people off, but I saw an opportunity to address some of the worries people have about Oxford- the financial support is generally alright (even if the college is broke there are university wide funding sources available, though I should warn you that these are more for students from poorer backgrounds then those who've just spent up!- which is good for me cos I get a bursary next year!) I hope I've cleared a few things up for anyone who is interested- basically, don't let the financial aspect put you off. It is possible to work in the term sometimes as well, but the college often prefers you to work within it ie in the bar or something, rather then to go to an external employer who might make really high demands. Most of us just work all through the holidays if we have to, and make do. As a student, you'll automatically be in debt so the best thing is just not to think about it or you'll cry!

MOD Edit: Just fixing your tags correctly
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Most of us just work all through the holidays if we have to, and make do.
Indeed...my brother normally works for waitrose in the holidays but to his dismay he found they weren't taking on any summer-job students this year....so now he's packing envelopes on a day to day basis *chuckles*...ah, the poor lad! *sits enjoying her days of freedom with little sympathy in her tone*
As a student, you'll automatically be in debt so the best thing is just not to think about it or you'll cry!
It was going so well for Joe, he'd spent very little and was doing very well financially...then came along the RPG society with it's regular trips to the local Thai and fabled late-night ice-cream palour! -from hense he was doomed!
kizzie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
How did you learn to touch type or is it just something you have gradually worked into...I can type quickly while looking at the screen but as I say only use a couple of fingers so am not as productive as I could be...ah well
Just lots and lots of typing really... When you have been using computers for 15 years, then you _should_ be able to do it by now, but still i get the annoying mistakes :-)
Starting when your 5 though is not good for your wrists...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.82%
No (661)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (223)
20.48%

Watched Threads