The Student Room Group

Keep having these 'moments' but I dont know what they are?!?

Yesterday, I was just sat watching tv and my brain just felt like it was going in fast forward. Everything got really intense (faster and louder) and my actions felt like they were really fast and out of control. The voice in my head (me thinking) was shouting to be heard over my surroundings and I also thought that I was breathing faster and heavier but I'm not sure? Basically everything was faster, louder and more urgent. It only lasted about 5-10 minutes but it was horrible!

I used to have theses quite frequently about 1 year ago, and they were coupled with the exact opposite experience. For example, one day everything would go faster (like yesterday) for a few minutes but then, at a different time, everything would go slower. It would feel like everthing went in slow motion, even my speaking and movements would go really slow alongside everything around me.

I've tried to explain this to people around me to see if it's normal, but they all just look at me like I'm going crazy :-(

Also, I'm going to the doctors later on in the week for something else, but should I mention this to them as well? (even though they're strict on the only 10 minutes for appointments at my surgery)

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

I have never heard of this in my life wow pls tell ur doctor everything you posted on here because it might be serious. The quicker its treated the better

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think from the symptoms you are describing you may have epilepsy. It sounds as if it might be temporal lobe epilepsy. Have a look on the epilepsy foundation webs.ite to compare your symptoms http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/about-epilepsy-basics

You should definitely mention it to the doctor . It may be something less serious but better safe than sorry.

Good luck ! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Yesterday, I was just sat watching tv and my brain just felt like it was going in fast forward. Everything got really intense (faster and louder) and my actions felt like they were really fast and out of control. The voice in my head (me thinking) was shouting to be heard over my surroundings and I also thought that I was breathing faster and heavier but I'm not sure? Basically everything was faster, louder and more urgent. It only lasted about 5-10 minutes but it was horrible!

I used to have theses quite frequently about 1 year ago, and they were coupled with the exact opposite experience. For example, one day everything would go faster (like yesterday) for a few minutes but then, at a different time, everything would go slower. It would feel like everthing went in slow motion, even my speaking and movements would go really slow alongside everything around me.

I've tried to explain this to people around me to see if it's normal, but they all just look at me like I'm going crazy :-(

Also, I'm going to the doctors later on in the week for something else, but should I mention this to them as well? (even though they're strict on the only 10 minutes for appointments at my surgery)

Thanks in advance

I have actually experienced this kinda thing over the past year.

Had one massive panic thing then since then I get a sensation that thing literally in the space of a few second something clicks and everything goes really fast in my head. It's not like a panic or manic episode it feels physical. But I'm fairly certain it's both physical and psychological for me anyway.

And the slower thing I get episodes where my body feels so leaden and my head feels dreary. It's not something I had before about a year ago but they're both pretty uncomfortable states and they do cause me to feel pretty anxious and occasionally tip me over into a panic attack especially when I first started getting these attacks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'll definitely mention it to the doctor when I go. I've had a look elsewhere and other people get almost the exact same thing as me (the fast one) but I can't find a diagnosis anywhere? and I'm not sure if my symptoms fit? I don't think I've ever had a 'seizure' as such, so I'll just explain to the doctor and see what they suggest... Thanks though :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Little Popcorns
I have actually experienced this kinda thing over the past year.

Had one massive panic thing then since then I get a sensation that thing literally in the space of a few second something clicks and everything goes really fast in my head. It's not like a panic or manic episode it feels physical. But I'm fairly certain it's both physical and psychological for me anyway.

And the slower thing I get episodes where my body feels so leaden and my head feels dreary. It's not something I had before about a year ago but they're both pretty uncomfortable states and they do cause me to feel pretty anxious and occasionally tip me over into a panic attack especially when I first started getting these attacks.

I'm glad it's not just me! Just out of interest, have you ever mentioned this to a doctor?
Reply 6
Original post by dougiepurple
I think from the symptoms you are describing you may have epilepsy. It sounds as if it might be temporal lobe epilepsy. Have a look on the epilepsy foundation webs.ite to compare your symptoms http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/about-epilepsy-basics

You should definitely mention it to the doctor . It may be something less serious but better safe than sorry.

Good luck ! :smile:

What the hell is wrong with you?
I'm glad it's not just me! Just out of interest, have you ever mentioned this to a doctor?
Yes been in and out of there quite a few times about it.

Have you?

Also have you ever had a mental health diagnosis of any kind, I'm not asking because I want to put it down to being MH related I just have a few theories.

And who are the other people who've experienced it friends/people you know or do you mean like Internet search results/other forums?
(edited 8 years ago)
I've had this for years, no idea what it is. Get very mixed reviews of what it could be when I talk about it. It's hard to explain and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.
Hi OP

By any chance do you have anxiety troubles? Anxiety can wreak havoc with your mental health and can make you experience all kinds of strange sensations :frown:

That aside, your experience reminds me of something I used to experience when I was little and not that long ago. It was a sensation of things being 'thick' and 'thin' at the same time and everything felt very strange and gave me a bizarre feeling; it was completely and utterly bewildering. I found a forum where others had the same thing and they also mentioned the same thing you described: a sensation of everything feeling fast. If I find the forum I will link it to you.

Have you heard of 'Alice in Wonderland syndrome'? Here's a link to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

In the meantime, definitely see a Doctor just to rule out epilepsy or any physiological conditions.

I hope you're okay :smile: You're not alone in experiencing bizarre sensations!
I experienced the same thing a few times when I was on holiday in summer, everything felt like a blur and I felt really disconnected from my surroundings like I wasn't really there has it kind of been like that for you too? I've done some research and I think it could of been depersonalisation and that's what you could be experiencing too, explain symptoms to your GP and they will give you some more accurate information to what it may be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Popcorns
Yes been in and out of there quite a few times about it.

Have you?

Also have you ever had a mental health diagnosis of any kind, I'm not asking because I want to put it down to being MH related I just have a few theories.

And who are the other people who've experienced it friends/people you know or do you mean like Internet search results/other forums?

I haven't yet, as I always thought that it was a normal experience. I've never had any sort of mental health diagnosis but it'd be interesting to hear your theories! and it was just on forums, but noone had any sort of answer. A few did suggest AiWs and depersonalisation, but none of them had an actual diagnosis.
Original post by Jabberwox
Hi OP

By any chance do you have anxiety troubles? Anxiety can wreak havoc with your mental health and can make you experience all kinds of strange sensations :frown:

That aside, your experience reminds me of something I used to experience when I was little and not that long ago. It was a sensation of things being 'thick' and 'thin' at the same time and everything felt very strange and gave me a bizarre feeling; it was completely and utterly bewildering. I found a forum where others had the same thing and they also mentioned the same thing you described: a sensation of everything feeling fast. If I find the forum I will link it to you.

Have you heard of 'Alice in Wonderland syndrome'? Here's a link to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

In the meantime, definitely see a Doctor just to rule out epilepsy or any physiological conditions.

I have come across it before, and it does reference a 'fast' feeling, regarding the passing of time, but I've never experienced the changes in size etc. I'll definetely mentioned it to the doctor, but i don't know how much use it'll be, since my doctors id pretty rubbish (though we plan on moving soon). I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety, though my mum thinks it might be part of it, since a lot of things have happened lately and i'm a 'stress-head' to use her description.
I remember having this once actually, my heart just starting beating and my thoughts were pulsing away in my brain really fast, I don't know what happened....I just chose to forget about it!
I haven't yet, as I always thought that it was a normal experience. I've never had any sort of mental health diagnosis but it'd be interesting to hear your theories! and it was just on forums, but noone had any sort of answer. A few did suggest AiWs and depersonalisation, but none of them had an actual diagnosis.

Yeah fair enough. I think it's best we see what the doctors have to say because whilst I have theories about what causes it I don't have a solution and just sit the episodes out even though sometimes they are pretty overwhelming.
Original post by Profesh
What the hell is wrong with you?

What do you mean ......? I was only making a suggestion I am by no means a doctor . :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Jabberwox
Hi OP

obviously a fellow psych student :wink:
this may be useful:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Surroundings-becoming-weird-and-fast-intense-loud/show/1097402

several of the posters refer to something called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome", although others dismiss this.
Original post by the bear
this may be useful:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Surroundings-becoming-weird-and-fast-intense-loud/show/1097402

several of the posters refer to something called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome", although others dismiss this.

Yeah, the reason I dismissed that suggestion is because the vast majority of symptoms don't match up. AIWS from reading a bunch on it seems to be visual perception distortion. That's not what OP says they have. Or what I have as I also experience the same.
Sounds an entirely normal human experience, I have them sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest