The Student Room Group

What are my chances for Law at LSE?

My GCSE grades were 5A*s and 5As.
I got 4As at AS level and I am predicted A*A*A at A2.

What are my chances for applying to LSE for Law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LegalEagle123

Don't be ridiculous - of course you have a chance. Why do you even need to ask

Decent, as long as you have a stellar personal statement.

LSE are notorious GCSE sticklers, and yours are below average for a law applicant.

Original post by squeakysquirrel
Don't be ridiculous - of course you have a chance. Why do you even need to ask

GCSEs are below average for LSE Law but you could make up for it with other parts of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
GCSEs are below average for LSE Law but you could make up for it with other parts of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah and you get a law degree - no chance of getting a job as a solicitor - one of the most over-rated degrees in the country - believe me I know - my other half is a solicitor with a magic circle firm
Yeah and you get a law degree - no chance of getting a job as a solicitor - one of the most over-rated degrees in the country - believe me I know - my other half is a solicitor with a magic circle firm

Describe the pros and cons of being a solicitor at an MC firm.

How many years has he been a NQ for?
Original post by tehforum
Describe the pros and cons of being a solicitor at an MC firm.

How many years has he been a NQ for?

Qualified 15 years - he earns a pittance. It is all about billing and getting as much money out of the clients. No pros really and all cons

If he were to have his time again he would not go into the legal profession.
Qualified 15 years - he earns a pittance. It is all about billing and getting as much money out of the clients. No pros really and all cons

If he were to have his time again he would not go into the legal profession.

15 years?

Can you say what region

£100-150k
£150-200k?
15 years?

Can you say what region

£100-150k
£150-200k?

Less than £100k and in London - he is a blooming good solicitor - judging by the stories I hear from him. One of the few good guys and I am not just saying that because he is my partner. He does a lot of pro bono stuff
Less than £100k and in London - he is a blooming good solicitor - judging by the stories I hear from him. One of the few good guys and I am not just saying that because he is my partner. He does a lot of pro bono stuff

But newly qualified solicitors earn £70k off the bat...

I can't believe that 15 years of experience as an MC solicitor only nets you under 100k.

Is a senior associate?
But newly qualified solicitors earn £70k off the bat...

I can't believe that 15 years of experience as an MC solicitor only nets you under 100k.

Is a senior associate?

Depends what area you go into - yes he is a senior associate but in property. He could move to a different company and earn a bit more, but he is content at the moment

It is a myth that once you qualify as a solicitor it is a licence to print money.

His colleague earns £37000. He knows barristers that earn only £20000.
Depends what area you go into - yes he is a senior associate but in property. He could move to a different company and earn a bit more, but he is content at the moment

It is a myth that once you qualify as a solicitor it is a licence to print money.

His colleague earns £37000. He knows barristers that earn only £20000.

As we talking pre or post tax?
As we talking pre or post tax?

Pre tax for his colleague,

Barristers have to pay for chambers and staff and basically have to prostitute themselves to get work

Barristers have to pay for chambers and staff and basically have to prostitute themselves to get work

And your partner?

what? Is that newly qualified Barristers, I find that quite difficult to believe.

That's quite shocking because your talking about an MC firm, any other firm I would believe you but an MC firm? Well it's not A&O your talking about, considering they have increased the amount they pay significantly a few months ago, still is shocking to read.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That's quite shocking because your talking about an MC firm, any other firm I would believe you but an MC firm? Well it's not A&O your talking about, considering they have increased the amount they pay significantly a few months ago, still is shocking to read.

There was an article in the London evening standard last week. My partner was telling me about it - it confirmed what he said - I am trying to find it on line. Will post when I do find it.

It was about a solicitor who followed in her fathers footsteps and is earning £20 an hour in London. The trouble is that law schools are churning out candidates ten a penny.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Here you go

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/confessions-from-the-city-the-corporate-lawyer-a2945581.html
There was an article in the London evening standard last week. My partner was telling me about it - it confirmed what he said - I am trying to find it on line. Will post when I do find it.

It was about a solicitor who followed in her fathers footsteps and is earning £20 an hour in London. The trouble is that law schools are churning out candidates ten a penny.

Your partner is talking *******s about his earnings.

There's no way in hell a 15 year exp MC solicitor earns under 100k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending