The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine- do I still stand a chance?

Hi everyone,

I'm an international student with AS level grades BBCC in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math in that order. I realise these grades are not at all impressive, especially for a student intending to apply to Medicine.

However, I am resitting Physics and Biology in Oct/Nov and Chemistry in May/June and I'm sure these results will fair well. My teachers are willing to predict grades AAB at A level in Biology, Chemistry and Physics based on my previous records [7A*s IGCSE]. Is that enough to fit the academic requirements to study medicine in the UK? As far as I'm concerned, I've only come across typical offers AAA. Do I still stand a chance?

If so, please do let me know. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by aditirn
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student with AS level grades BBCC in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math in that order. I realise these grades are not at all impressive, especially for a student intending to apply to Medicine.

However, I am resitting Physics and Biology in Oct/Nov and Chemistry in May/June and I'm sure these results will fair well. My teachers are willing to predict grades AAB at A level in Biology, Chemistry and Physics based on my previous records [7A*s IGCSE]. Is that enough to fit the academic requirements to study medicine in the UK? As far as I'm concerned, I've only come across typical offers AAA. Do I still stand a chance?

If so, please do let me know. Thanks in advance :smile:

I think it also depends on your predcited grades and your personal statement. As long as you can meet the AAA grades at the end of year you can still be in with a chance but you're really gonna have to buckle down. And medical schools like all rounded students so if you're lacking in the grades for now then make it up with a killer p.s. and show you have a lot of work experience and etc.

Hope you the best of luck.
Btw- don't lose hope that's when everything goes down the (excuse my french) ****ter:closedeyes:
I hate to say this but there just aren't any universities which accept people onto their medical course with AAB unless there are some significant extenuating circumstances, especially resits, which many universities don't accept at all. You could try and convince your teachers to increase your predicted grades, however it's unlikely at this stage. Have you considered applying for a medicine foundation/pre-clinical course? I think this is your best choice as they have lower entry requirements but you still move on to complete the full medical degree. There are many universities which offer this, including some Russel Groups. Here is a link to a site with a list of uni which provide these courses: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx
There's a chance. Is it likely at all, probably not.
Original post by hideNfreak
I think it also depends on your predcited grades and your personal statement. As long as you can meet the AAA grades at the end of year you can still be in with a chance but you're really gonna have to buckle down. And medical schools like all rounded students so if you're lacking in the grades for now then make it up with a killer p.s. and show you have a lot of work experience and etc.

Hope you the best of luck.
Btw- don't lose hope that's when everything goes down the (excuse my french) ****ter:closedeyes:

it is true that medical schools do care about more than grades, however they aren't going to accept people with lower predicted grades than their own entry requirements. Being well rounded increases your chance of acceptance if you already have the grades in the first place.
Not for this admissions cycle
Reply 6
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I hate to say this but there just aren't any universities which accept people onto their medical course with AAB unless there are some significant extenuating circumstances, especially resits, which many universities don't accept at all. You could try and convince your teachers to increase your predicted grades, however it's unlikely at this stage. Have you considered applying for a medicine foundation/pre-clinical course? I think this is your best choice as they have lower entry requirements but you still move on to complete the full medical degree. There are many universities which offer this, including some Russel Groups. Here is a link to a site with a list of uni which provide these courses: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've had a look at the universities listed that offer a pre-clinical or pre-med courses but unfortunately, I don't meet the entry requirements as I'm not a UK applicant, nor am I a non-science student :frown: Have you come across a uni that does not specify such?

If there is any other possible way I can still study medicine in the UK, please do let me know. Your advice would be very helpful at this stage.
Original post by aditirn
Thanks for your prompt reply. I've had a look at the universities listed that offer a pre-clinical or pre-med courses but unfortunately, I don't meet the entry requirements as I'm not a UK applicant, nor am I a non-science student :frown: Have you come across a uni that does not specify such?

If there is any other possible way I can still study medicine in the UK, please do let me know. Your advice would be very helpful at this stage.

Finish you a levels, resit a few modules and get them up to an A at A2. Or you could go for graduate entry.
Reply 8
Original post by aditirn

Hi, just so you know you can apply to medicine with AAB at Liverpool, Hull-York, Lancaster, Cardiff and Keele. For some of them it takes some digging but you can find it in the small print :smile: I applied with AAB predictions with no extenuating circumstances last september and I got an offer from Hull-York, so please please give it a try anyway.
Original post by aditirn

UCLAN does a medicine degree with an AAB offer; I didn't mention it as it is only for international studies and I assumed you were a UK applicant. That could be a starting point. It's non-EU international btw so if you're from the EU you're ineligible.
there just aren't any universities which accept people onto their medical course with AAB unless there are some significant extenuating circumstances

This is mostly true, except that UCLan's medicine course (international-only) has requirements of AAB.

Bristol and St George's also make contextual offers depending on certain factors such as the school you went to, whether you've been in care (not applicable to OP), your socio-economic background and so on. For Bristol this only goes down to AAB but for St George's it can be as low as BBC (although I haven't seen anybody get an offer that low yet - but they've indicated on UCAS that they're willing to go that low).

Original post by Docjones1
Finish you a levels, resit a few modules and get them up to an A at A2. Or you could go for graduate entry.

Graduate entry shouldn't even be an option until everything else has been exhausted. Even for Home/EU students, the competition is far more intense than regular medicine because of fewer places and more applicants. This would be even worse for internationals because there are even fewer places on GEM courses for them than there are for Home/EU students.

To the OP: take a gap year. Get your grades up to scratch and then apply with achieved A-levels. AAA is already a pretty low offer for such a competitive course so you don't have a very good chance, if I'm brutally honest.
Original post by MioMao
Hi, just so you know you can apply to medicine with AAB at Liverpool, Hull-York, Lancaster, Cardiff and Keele. For some of them it takes some digging but you can find it in the small print :smile: I applied with AAB predictions with no extenuating circumstances last september and I got an offer from Hull-York, so please please give it a try anyway.

did you have a fourth subject at AS
Reply 12
Original post by aditirn

Buckingham and UCLan accept AAB for medicine.
Reply 13
did you have a fourth subject at AS

Yes, a C at as - the hull typical offer was AAAb, but it is important to put forwards on ucas that you are resitting a module.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to mention, it was maths and I did chemistry, biology and psychology to A2, I realise that wasn't very helpful :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending