The Student Room Group

Will machines over-take Pharmacists' jobs?

Already pharmacists use computers for clinically scanning prescriptions and some machines are counting prescription pills (still very limited in the uk).

Do you think Pharmacists should fear technology taking over their jobs or work along side it, embracing the power of technology?
No, according to BBC it is quite unlikely (1% chance). :dance:
Well, robots in hospital pharmacies (and a few community pharmacies) are really useful, and I don't think they've stolen any jobs? Correct me if I'm wrong though. But I mean you still need technicians to get everything together and pharmacists to check them, it'll be a while before we've got robots that can take into account all the different variables pharmacists need to consider with patients, and also robots that can take decent drug histories. I mean sure they could spit out questions and get the answers but humans are unpredictable and I don't think a robot could do our jobs yet. Besides, antibiotic resistance is a much more worrying thing than robots, at least for me.
Original post by Coriolantus
Well, robots in hospital pharmacies (and a few community pharmacies) are really useful, and I don't think they've stolen any jobs? Correct me if I'm wrong though. But I mean you still need technicians to get everything together and pharmacists to check them, it'll be a while before we've got robots that can take into account all the different variables pharmacists need to consider with patients, and also robots that can take decent drug histories. I mean sure they could spit out questions and get the answers but humans are unpredictable and I don't think a robot could do our jobs yet. Besides, antibiotic resistance is a much more worrying thing than robots, at least for me.

Ik. It's scary... We're going back in time regarding resistance but foward with technology.

I sometimes wonder weather technology really will take over and humans will die from resistance. Not fun.
i would hope so for the sake of patient care and efficiency. We clearly don't need as many as we have.
Original post by SunTiger
No, according to BBC it is quite unlikely (1% chance). :dance:

Probably due to legislation if anything. Once that's overturned then it's a free for all.
Reply 6
Well they will have to embrace it because if the companies are going to develop the technology there is not a lot that the pharmacists can do about it.
Original post by BewareTomato
Ik. It's scary... We're going back in time regarding resistance but foward with technology.

I sometimes wonder weather technology really will take over and humans will die from resistance. Not fun.

I was watching the news and it was like 'We need to put regulatory measures in place to stop robots taking over the world' which is all a bit Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. But then I'm there thinking 'What about totally drug resistant TB?' If we don't start putting more focus in that area we're going to be in real trouble. I mean it's being acknowledged as an issue at least but it's still worrying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending