Txhmid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok so, I am currently doing geography but I am not enjoying it much.
I did history last year (yr 9) and I did enjoy it. However after reading several threads people have said history is more interesting but the exams are much harder than geography's exams.

Help me out please
Ty
Txhmid
Rep:
?
bump
Txhmid
Rep:
?
bump
callum623
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After doing both I would highly recommend history if you're interested in it. I managed to get two A*s in two History exams and a B in the other. The exams aren't that hard as long as you learn and understand the information. It's a very interesting subject and respected too. I may be biased here as history is my favourite subject but geography was the worst subject I ever had to do. If you're not enjoying it just drop it. The exam was actually easy and despite being told I would fail I still came out with a B so if you feel you may still do well carry on with it. It's just geography is quite boring and learning all the information + case studies can consume a lot of your time.

However, it's up to you what you do. If you enjoy history and are prepared to learn then definitely take that. The only downside to the history exam is that the questions are very specific. A few of the questions may only be on one thing so if you haven't revised that one topic you may lose a lot of marks (which is why I say you must learn everything). So yes geography was easier but history was far more interesting
Txhmid
Rep:
?
bump
liquity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did GCSE geography because I'm terrible at remembering dates and I never enjoyed history. I find geography to be an extremely relevant subject to study because of the focus on current and future issues and it improves skills in so many areas e.g. collecting data on field trips, analysing the best solutions to deal with natural disasters etc. The curriculum will change for both subjects as you get into GCSE level and I would suggest that you stick with geography or find out the other topics that you will soon be covering so that you can decide if any of it will interest you as much as history.

If you aren't planning to do either for A level then it doesn't really matter but yes the geography exams were easier (in my experience of my year), but go for what you enjoy and will be interested in the most because then you'll have more motivation to study and do well.
Rebeccalc988
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Txhmid)
I did history last year (yr 9) and I did enjoy it. However after reading several threads people have said history is more interesting but the exams are much harder than geography's exams.

Help me out please
Ty
Just do both I did both for GCSE and AS-Level and I loved them both,neither are particularly hard for History GCSE I got an A* and geography an A and at AS I got an A in geography and a B in history so yeah I'd say they are both really enjoyable and equally as difficult
Blue Butterfly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did both at GCSE and found both enjoyable although I much preferred Geogrpahy because history did get boring at times. Geography is a lot of memorising and learning numbers and dates where as History is a lot more about understand and being able to compose essays. However exam technique is vital for both subjects. I struggled with history well as I found geography easy and fun however I managed to get A*s in both so if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.
Txhmid
Rep:
?
thanks. im deciiding for tomorrow but i stilll need some more opinions D:
Txhmid
Rep:
?
bump.
Kiara918
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I felt pretty much the same before choosing my options- loved history and felt geography was alright but I didn't enjoy it that much. I chose both for GCSE and now Geography is my favourite subject. The content just seemed to drag on with history and towards the end of the course I just didn't really enjoy it anymore. Personally I wouldn't really say that there is much difference in the difficulty of the exams. I found the geography exams sort of easy but that's probably because I enjoyed learning the content because it was fun and interesting. The history exam was still ok and it wasn't really difficult. I got the same grades in both exams.
Just my opinion though -my friend think's history is her life and she really enjoys it and found the geography exams much harder than the history but got pretty much the same grade in both subjects too.
Txhmid
Rep:
?
bump
nityaaditya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Txhmid)

Help me out please
Ty
well u cant judge in that way according to syllabus i think history is harder but according to paper pattern and type off questions geography is harder so u cant really judge but i would both of them are hard i am neutral
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads