The Student Room Group

Philosophy A-Level, is it hard?

Hi, I'm year 11 and soon to pick my A-Level subjecta and I am considering taking Philosophy. So, I'd like to know if it's a hard course, interesting course and how popular the course is. Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Is this pure Philosophy or Philosophy & Ethics?

I have done Philosophy and it can be hard in places, but the most difficult part is probably learning exam/essay technique. It is a fairly difficult subject to do "well" in unless you're fully committed and dedicated towards learning it :smile:

I am currently doing AS Philosophy and have done it before also, I am resitting it as I didn't really try last time and only scraped a C :tongue:.

But honestly if you'd think you'd enjoy it then give it a try. It's an extremely fascinating subject :}
Original post by Ilyas.d
Hi, I'm year 11 and soon to pick my A-Level subjecta and I am considering taking Philosophy. So, I'd like to know if it's a hard course, interesting course and how popular the course is. Many thanks :smile:

Are you doing pure Philosophy or Philosophy & Ethics as part of a Religious Studies A-Level?

I'm doing the latter, and it has a reputation for being a difficult course, but I managed it. The terminology is pretty simple, but it can take a while to get your head around all the theories because some of them can be really woolly.
Original post by Inexorably

I have done Philosophy and it can be hard in places, but the most difficult part is probably learning exam/essay technique. It is a fairly difficult subject to do "well" in unless you're fully committed and dedicated towards learning it :smile:

I am currently doing AS Philosophy and have done it before also, I am resitting it as I didn't really try last time and only scraped a C :tongue:.

But honestly if you'd think you'd enjoy it then give it a try. It's an extremely fascinating subject :}

Can i ask what aspect of AS philosophy do you find hard and when you say you didn't try did that mean like you did not revise at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Inexorably

Original post by connieiscrazy
Are you doing pure Philosophy or Philosophy & Ethics as part of a Religious Studies A-Level?

I'm doing the latter, and it has a reputation for being a difficult course, but I managed it. The terminology is pretty simple, but it can take a while to get your head around all the theories because some of them can be really woolly.

Hey look OP you have an opinion from a Pure Philosophy student and a P&E student, so you're covered either way... :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Can i ask what aspect of AS philosophy do you find hard and when you say you didn't try did that mean like you did not revise at all?

I found the essay writing style most difficult. I never struggled largely with the content or arguments, it's just making sure you explain yourself very very well in the essay as Pure Philosophy has a notoriety of being very difficult exam-wise.

I didn't really bother revising either. I honestly made so many bad choices in my first year of College and actively encourage people to revise from September and try their absolute best :smile:
Reply 6
Okay, so it requires a lot of work from home?
I'm doing AS atm and I get a lot of sheets with a lot of theories which you have to learn and understand weakness's for and so it requires quite a bit of your own time to makes understandable notes for all theories and how they compliment each other.
Theres moments when it is really enjoyable and questioning things is fun but there are moments when I hate it.
I would say its the most work out of my 4 (RE, Law, Politics and history) but i guess you need to put in the work now for it to pay off later.

Quick Reply

Latest