Starting a Language at University? What universities offer it? Watch

November229
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
HI, i want to start learning spanish at university either alongside or preferably part of my degree. I don't have an Alevel in spanish so i am starting from scratch i know newcastle and exeter do it but are there any other respectable universities that do it. I know many offer the opportunity to do an optional module in a language as part of the degree or join a club but i want to do more as i would like to be fluent one day Also anyone who has learnt a language from scratch at uni could you tell me how you found it? hard? fun? successful?
FionaMG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by November229)
HI, i want to start learning spanish at university either alongside or preferably part of my degree. I don't have an Alevel in spanish so i am starting from scratch i know newcastle and exeter do it but are there any other respectable universities that do it. I know many offer the opportunity to do an optional module in a language as part of the degree or join a club but i want to do more as i would like to be fluent one day Also anyone who has learnt a language from scratch at uni could you tell me how you found it? hard? fun? successful?
Hi,

Lots of unis offer languages as part of a degree and many also give you the chance to start from scratch.

The UCAS search tool will help you narrow down your options. If you are interested in doing Spanish alongside business, for example, you can put "Spanish, business" in as keywords and it will give you a list of universities which offer that combination.

However, if you want to become fluent, you should be looking at doing a course that includes a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country as that is a vital part of becoming fluent. I know lots of people who started languages from scratch at university, some more successfully than others. It's perfectly doable; it just boils down to the amount of effort you're prepared to put into it.

Hope this helps.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
At Warwick you can choose it as an academic module for free
November229
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by FionaMG)
Hi,

Lots of unis offer languages as part of a degree and many also give you the chance to start from scratch.

The UCAS search tool will help you narrow down your options. If you are interested in doing Spanish alongside business, for example, you can put "Spanish, business" in as keywords and it will give you a list of universities which offer that combination.

However, if you want to become fluent, you should be looking at doing a course that includes a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country as that is a vital part of becoming fluent. I know lots of people who started languages from scratch at university, some more successfully than others. It's perfectly doable; it just boils down to the amount of effort you're prepared to put into it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you this is very helpful advice! Yay :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed