Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'Meaning' huh? Whatsat?

As regards to the time/space thing. I think you could argue that the assymetry of time is just a human construct, but I think it has yet to be shown to be distinct from space at all. Without space I find it hard to accept that there would be any concept of time at all.

(well actually, without space I'd find it hard to do anything, but I mean I find it hard to accept that if there were no space there would be any concept of time at all. So in fact the space time link seems at least conceptually integral to ideas of time. So at least the space-time link seems obvious, the breakthrough Einstein makes is a new way of seeing how the two are linked, not just seeing that they are linked.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    'Meaning' huh? Whatsat?
    Where were we talking about your anti-realist ideas? I've lost the place somehow.

ReputationRep:
    couple of pages back, sort of 7-12, it's all over the place really. I'm working on putting together some kind of coherent article at the moment, help me get it focused and work out if its self consistent and at all plausible. the discussion here is a little inconsistent but I think because I was trying to get it straight as I went. I'm confident the idea itself is good though. I'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    I think we should get back to philosophy jokes. ;p
    I agree! Guess I'll have to finish off the last one, as no fourth person appeared to complete the round...:rolleyes:

PUNCHLINE: ...and promptly disappears :rofl: hahaha, oh my! wasn't that funny? Shall we all sing the Philosophers' Drinking Song together now? I'll start :p:

:thrasher: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiimmanuel Kant was a real piss-ant who was very rarely stable...

ZarathustraX (*hoping someone else knows it*) (*can't be bothered to say anything intellectual - not that I'm saying Monty Python isn't highly intellectual - because I'm tired and going away tomorrow and can't get into a debate*)

ReputationRep:
    'Meaning' huh? Whatsat?

As regards to the time/space thing. I think you could argue that the assymetry of time is just a human construct, but I think it has yet to be shown to be distinct from space at all. Without space I find it hard to accept that there would be any concept of time at all.
    Tut tut tut. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Tut tut tut. :p:
    I think we're using 'concept' differently :P

p.s. Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggaaaAAAArr
    Who could think you under the table

*accordian music*

ReputationRep:
    I'm confident the idea itself is good though.
    Ok, but anti-realism is pretty much done to death now. I'll be impressed if you can make a stab at resurrecting it, but it looked to me that you were going over old ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Ok, but anti-realism is pretty much done to death now. I'll be impressed if you can make a stab at resurrecting it, but it looked to me that you were going over old ground.
    hehe, I'm not going to publish it or anything! Might give it to my DoS to look over if I think its decent but otherwise it's just to help me out. I do think it offers some very interesting solutions, or at least explanations of the insolubility of, of some pretty important stuff.
    But no, not intending to resurrect anything.

ReputationRep:
    at least explanations of the insolubility of, of some pretty important stuff.
    I think you'd be much better off looking at the idea of meaning within communities. I've just been reading Fergusson and also some McGrath (I have to review one of his books for a journal). They run a far more sensible course with the idea of critical realism, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, I'll bear that in mind. Though I'm afraid I can't comment on Fergusson and McGrath at the moment, I know next to nothing about actual current philosophical thought on the topic. It's a third year thing and I'm still only 'ickle

ReputationRep:
    I think we're using 'concept' differently :P

p.s. Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggaaaAAAArr
    Who could think you under the table

*accordian music*
    Ahem...drink :rolleyes:

David Hume could out-consume Schopenhauer and Hegel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    Ahem...drink :rolleyes:

David Hume could out-consume Schopenhauer and Hegel...
    What can I say, obviously need to drink more and think less. Though one might lead to the other.

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel. OOOOOhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Wooshhwoooooweeeeoooooooo whao whao whoooeeeoooooooo

ReputationRep:
    I want to join the Philosophy Society!

I'm into Philosophy. Current faves at the moment include existentialists like Nietzsche and Sartre, as well as post-modernism (mainly Foucault).

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Philosophy @ Uni next year, did it at A-level too. It's my thing.

Now how do I get one of those cool badges??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treff)
    I'm into Philosophy. Current faves at the moment include existentialists like Nietzsche and Sartre, as well as post-modernism (mainly Foucault).
    Yeek! That's some scary stuff. Taught it or reading it yourself? Deserves respect either way I feel.

In other news, have been reading a Saul Kripke book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical investigations and he's discussing "Wittgensteins paradox" which I had until now never heard of. Reckon it might be discussable tho' so when I eventually wake up tomorrow (shouldn't stay up this late) I shall attempt to get it on paper so somebody can solve it for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazydaveuk)
    Now how do I get one of those cool badges??
    1) You retract any mildly evil comments that you might have directed at the soc leader in the A2 predictions thread :p:
    2) You offer sexual favours to our most dominant member at present (Calvin)
    3) You consume three bottles of port and then stand on one leg whilst singing - word perfect - the Monty Python Philosophers' Drinking Song

Alternatively, you could go through USERCP / GROUP MEMBERSHIPS and apply officially, like tigger1430, MarcD, Freaker, HTale & treff have recently done. And on that note: welcome to the aforementioned new members :hello:

Dave, which uni did you decide to go to in the end? (Can't remember )

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treff)
    Oooh hello there

Clearly the most important question here has to be: why are you privileging Sartre over Kierkegaard? :eek: But yeah, :cool: taste...

(NB. Before I get attacked in the manner I often do by the philosophers over in forum 31, I do like analytic stuff too - it doesn't have to be an exclusive choice, ya know :rolleyes: )

ZarathustraX

EDIT: @ Calvin: There's nothin' Nietzsche couldn't teachya 'bout the raisin' of the wrist...

ReputationRep:
    Hello, and thankyou for inaugurate me Zarathustra! Besides the personal details (which you can find by just clicking on my name), I am interested in Arab philosophy, particularly the works of Hunayn ibn Ishaq. It is these philosophers that you have to thank for rekindling interest in Greek philosophy . As for the Western Philosophers, the Arabs favourite --- Aristotle--- particularly the Metaphysics, and the Politics are my favourite works of his. I also take interest in Plato, his book, the Republic is particularly interesting. Perhaps some may argue it is even fascist in nature! Also, Descartes, Wittengstein, Russel are some of my other favourite philosophers. As a mathematician, Im glad IVe joined a society of rigour, logic and argument! :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    1) You retract any mildly evil comments that you might have directed at the soc leader in the A2 predictions thread :p:
    2) You offer sexual favours to our most dominant member at present (Calvin)
    Why thankyou!
    Better go get me a whip...

Given up on the Paradox thing. Strugglng too much to get my own head around it. Grrrr. Why couldn't Wittgenstein hire an editor? Richest family in austria and he can't even have a bloody editor.
    :banghead:

*Clears throat*: Socrates, himself, was permanently pisseddddddd. Boing boing...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.