Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oooo I'd like to join. I've never studied philosophy but I am familiar with Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and enjoy discussions about philosophy with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? I'm starting AQA A/S level Philosophy in September and I love anytihng to do with Philosophy and I love talking about Philosophy to anyone who will listen. I'm reading a few pretty basic introductions to Philosophy at the moment, namely 'The Philosophy Files' and 'The Philosophy Gym', both by Stephen Law.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing Philosophy for AS/A2 - what modules/topics have you covered?

ReputationRep:
    I'm by no means at all good at philosophy in an academic sense, but i did co-found a philosophy society at my sixth form earlier this year. Good discussions on 'cogito ergo sum' and 'a priori knowlegde'. Kept on getting side tracked into talking about whether the room we were in would still exist when we all left. Good times, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symun)
    I'm by no means at all good at philosophy in an academic sense, but i did co-found a philosophy society at my sixth form earlier this year. Good discussions on 'cogito ergo sum' and 'a priori knowlegde'. Kept on getting side tracked into talking about whether the room we were in would still exist when we all left. Good times, though.
    'cogito ergo sum' is René Descartes right? I remember reading something about him at the Royal Society. He was in an exhibit relating to Newton's Principia and Optiks; I think this was due to the fact that his work on geometry led to the Cartesian system of coordinates.

It was quite interesting! I do wish the Royal Society would put the notes on their website so that you could read them all year round and not just at the Summer Exhibition or whenever you're down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    'cogito ergo sum' is René Descartes right? I remember reading something about him at the Royal Society. He was in an exhibit relating to Newton's Principia and Optiks; I think this was due to the fact that his work on geometry led to the Cartesian system of coordinates.

It was quite interesting! I do wish the Royal Society would put the notes on their website so that you could read them all year round and not just at the Summer Exhibition or whenever you're down there.
    Oooo what's this about Royal Society?

Could you tell me more about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Oooo what's this about Royal Society?

Could you tell me more about it?
    Well every year they have a science fair where you can go round the building and have a look at exhibitions put on by various institutions demonstrating the latest developments in science.

While I was going around with my friends I noticed that on the lower ground floor near the toilets there was a display about Newton, Descartes and Voltaire. The little display held the first editions of Principia and Optiks so I was in awe. There was also some lesser-known works of Descartes and a book about Newton that was published by Voltaire.

There were loads of little side notes giving really interesting facts and figures about their work and their lives within the Royal Society. There was also an interesting exhibition on quasicrystals

I also got to meet Prince Charles He went on about how silly AS and A2 levels are! Very nice but short man

ReputationRep:
    bibo ergo sum

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    bibo ergo sum
    What do ya drink?

Actually your saying reminds me of some Horace.

dissolve frigus, ligna super foco,
    large reponens, atque benignius,
    deprome quadrimum Sabine,
    o Thaliarche, merum diota.

Isn't it beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    For anyone doing Philosophy for AS/A2 - what modules/topics have you covered?
    Oooh, I'm waiting for my philosophy A2 results. For AS I did Plato's "Republic", theory of knowledge and philosophy of religion. Religion was probably the easiest, but I enjoyed all the modules really. For A2 I did philosophy of mind, Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" and a comparison between Nietzsche and Russell's contributions to epistemology. It was probably my favourite A level. But I'm scared because there is no January exam or marked coursework so it's all resting on June exams (unlike my other two subjects, which had both a January exam AND a marked coursework).

Emma
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished AS. I did Epistomology, Ethics and Marx and Engels' 'German Ideology'

For A2 I am hoping to do Political Philosophy, then either Mill or Neitszche, then compare M+E with them.

Was 'Beyond Good and Evil' interesting?

ReputationRep:
    It was. I think it was one of the better text options for A2. We read Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy" for the synoptic unit, which I really liked but made for much les interesting discussions than Nietzsche.

ReputationRep:
    hey I'm back...again

I've just done AS as well. It was mostly Plato, Classical Philosophy mixed with Theology, such as the arguments for God (from peeps like Aquinas and Anselm) and the Theodicies (from peeps like Augustine and Irenaeus).

My A2 course looks very full of ethics.... hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, thanks for keeping the thread alive folks.

ReputationRep:
    I really think theology should not have much of a place in a philosophy curriculum, oh well, my two cents.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat666)
    hey I'm back...again

I've just done AS as well. It was mostly Plato, Classical Philosophy mixed with Theology, such as the arguments for God (from peeps like Aquinas and Anselm) and the Theodicies (from peeps like Augustine and Irenaeus).

My A2 course looks very full of ethics.... hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, thanks for keeping the thread alive folks.
    Sounds like my course specification - Religious philosophy and ethics AS, rather than straight philosophy? As for theology having no place in a philosophy curriculum, you would have to ignore a hell of a lot of what the great philosophers have said to keep religion out of it altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I just completed that course and it was good enough to convince me to study philosophy at university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    I just completed that course and it was good enough to convince me to study philosophy at university...
    I'm already convinced - which is one of the reasons why I'm starting the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Sounds like my course specification - Religious philosophy and ethics AS, rather than straight philosophy? As for theology having no place in a philosophy curriculum, you would have to ignore a hell of a lot of what the great philosophers have said to keep religion out of it altogether.
    I somehow don`t think that Spinoza's Politico-Theological Tractate (just to mention one big boy) has much to do with theology even tho it does deal with religion (and how! he he he)

ReputationRep:
    I like ur quotes Ian88, lol. And i noice u have a pic of the matrix; i love the philosophy in the 1st film, it was wat made it so brilliant, the second 2 wer not so gd in that department tho ne thing with keanue reeves in it is worth watching! , yer so bk to philsosphy.... !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian88)
    I somehow don`t think that Spinoza's Politico-Theological Tractate (just to mention one big boy) has much to do with theology even tho it does deal with religion (and how! he he he)

Well, I was thinking more of Plato, Aquinas, Descartes, etc. But surely Spinozas conception of God is a pretty big piece of theology?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.