The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Well, I'm afraid I haven't actually read any of them anyway. I'm vaguely familiar with Nozick's though. Nozick has a state of nature which is populated almost solely by insurance salesman. :rolleyes:
Reply 661
Grrr - Nozick.

*raises left-wing hackles*
Reply 662
Really? The insurance salesman guy? I mean, he's a good start you off philosopher. Good name. Some nice thought experiments. But I don't know I'd ever take him seriously enough to get riled by it. Is he really that provocative?
Reply 663
Calvin
Really? The insurance salesman guy? I mean, he's a good start you off philosopher. Good name. Some nice thought experiments. But I don't know I'd ever take him seriously enough to get riled by it. Is he really that provocative?

Nozick basically founded the philosophical bit of libertarianism. I broadly agree with Rawls on political philosophy - Nozick was opposed to Rawls, and his really famous book, the name of which has momentarily escaped me, was written against 'A Theory of Justice'. And libertarianism really winds me up. Almost as much as objectivism. Don't get me started on Ayn Rand ...
Reply 664
Anarchy, State and Utopia.
I've never done much political philosophy. I'm not sure why. I guess in my head it is right there next to ethics so I avoid it. Not rigorous enough for me really. But I should read some (as if reading was something I don't have enough of) :rolleyes:
Reply 665
Calvin
Anarchy, State and Utopia.
I've never done much political philosophy. I'm not sure why. I guess in my head it is right there next to ethics so I avoid it. Not rigorous enough for me really. But I should read some (as if reading was something I don't have enough of) :rolleyes:

I was brought up as a political animal. It is kind of like social ethics, but I think its probably more important in practice than ethics is.
Anarchy, State and Utopia is a wonderful read. It's got these fabulously short little sections, each of which claiming to do massive things and seeming to succeed. "Why Consequentialism is Self-Defeating" in a dozen pages. Good luck, Mr Nozick.
Reply 667
hello everybody

havent been on here for a week

did everyone get their results for philopshy?

how did you all do?
Reply 668
rahmara
hello everybody

havent been on here for a week

did everyone get their results for philopshy?

how did you all do?

A on Ethics coursework. Nice to have.
Reply 669
Hey guys!
In need of sum philosophical essay writing help! I'm taking a module in philosophy and religion, and Ive got to write a 1000 word essay for the end of march. Having never done it before i now realise it was probabaly a bit stupid to embark on this course, but Im here now so never mind. Anyway I only need 40% to pass as this an optional module for me, so doesnt really count too much, i just gota pass.

The question is : State and assess two different objections to the cosmological argument.

I think one of them is Hume? But I'm not really sure. I got a whole bunch of books outa the library, but am a bit baffled by it all.
Also am currently reading Sophies World cuz I was told it mite help me understand it all a bit better. It's a bluddy good book thats for sure, but kinda running out of time now and have 2 other essays that need doin as well.
Sorry for waffling on, I'll leave now, but please, help anyone? I'll be eternally grateful.
Jenn. x x x
Jenn,

Which criticisms you choose will depend upon which version of the Cosmological Argument you're talking about, or if you're using it as an umbrella term to cover all of them. Presumably you'll set out in your intro whether you're criticising the argument from motion / from efficient cause / from necessity and contingency, or all, and that'll effect your choice of criticisms.

I guess it's main 'big' critics are Hume, Kant, Russell, but there is some interesting stuff from more modern critics (Kenny etc). I have notes on all this, so once you've sorted out the first question I can help a lot more :smile:

Cheers,

ZarathustraX
Try: http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/cosmological.html
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/ or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_argument

Be aware that tutors will have seen these sites, so simply stealing text from them is a bad idea. However, they give a good summary of the argument and its major objections.
Reply 672
Well I'm not really sure bout al that stuff u sed cuz like i sed im not a philosophy student, but I think I'm starting off wif: everything is caused by something so if you follow the regresion back something must've created itself, type thing!
I get that bit! It's the rest that confuses me! I'm a journalism student, so al this thinking is stressful, I can do the whole reporting and finding stories bit, being pro-active and getting out and about, but sitting down and thinking? I get bored too quickly!
SupaJenn
I'm a journalism student
I'd never guess from the sloppy txt spk that you insist on using, despite its being against TSR rules. If you want to be taken seriously in journalism, you need to write properly, not sound like an illiterate 12 year old. *

Now I have that rant off my chest, I'm not sure what to say. I'm certainly not going to write your essay for you. The sites I gave all have reasonably simple explanations of the cosmological argument and the major objections. Let's cut & paste from Wikipedia:

Framed as a formal proof, the first cause argument can be stated as follows:

Everything has a cause(s).

Nothing can cause itself.

Therefore, everything is caused by another thing(s).

A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.

Therefore, there must be a first cause(s), to which premises 1, 2, 3 and/or 4 do not apply.

The cosmological argument can only speculate about the existence of God from claims about the entire universe, unless the "first cause" is taken to mean the same thing as "God." Thus, the argument is based on the claim that God must exist due to the fact that the universe needs a cause. In other words, the existence of the universe requires an explanation, and an active creation of the universe by a being outside of the universe—generally assumed to be God is that explanation.

One objection is that this does not even attempt to ascribe this First Cause with attributes necessary to call it "God," not even with extremely basic prerequisites such as self-awareness and will (though there are some theists who actually do make such attempts when using this argument [1]). It simply names the First Cause as "God" without proving that it has the characteristics that that name implies. Furthermore, the argument only requires God as a first cause, but fails to prove that God continued to exist after serving that purpose. Some deists agree that the argument proves that God created the universe, but nevertheless maintain that God then ceased to exist, or ceased to interact with the material universe.

Modern quantum physics is sometimes interpreted to deny the validity of the first premise of this argument (that everything has a cause), showing that subatomic particles such as electrons, positrons, and photons, can come into existence, and perish, by virtue of spontaneous energy fluctuations in a vacuum. Though such occurrences do not violate the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy, Bell's theorem shows that these are impossible to predict. Because the "nothingness" from which the subatomic particles arise from a sea of fluctuating vacuum energy, it may be that such processes contradict the assertion that all effects have causes.

Now expand on that a bit (try following the links) and you'll have a decent start.

* Before anyone says I'm being too harsh, I used to be a regular writer for the Financial Times, so I know a little about journalists and their attitudes.
Reply 674
Oooh, a bit in that made me feel like ranting - I get really, really annoyed with science being used in a sloppy way in religious philosophy. We were actually taught in A level philosophy of religion that chaos theory shows that nature is full of things happening at random, and therefore determinism has been refuted. Chaos theory shows nothing of the sort. And I'm sick of hearing that quantum mechanics refutes determinism and makes way for free will. Technically, it does get rid of determinism, but what replaces it is no more accomodating towards libertarian free will than classical determinism.
wanderer
I'm sick of hearing that quantum mechanics refutes determinism and makes way for free will.
It doesn't even get that far. QM depends on which interpretation you prefer. I took a course during the MA on quantum physics and religious belief, and the lecturer there used QM to demonstrate absolute determinism. He does have a PhD in quantum physics (as well as another in theology) so he wasn't speaking from ignorance. He has an interesting thought experiment which refutes Heisenberg and the Copenhagen interpretation.
Reply 676
grumballcake
It doesn't even get that far. QM depends on which interpretation you prefer. I took a course during the MA on quantum physics and religious belief, and the lecturer there used QM to demonstrate absolute determinism. He does have a PhD in quantum physics (as well as another in theology) so he wasn't speaking from ignorance. He has an interesting thought experiment which refutes Heisenberg and the Copenhagen interpretation.

Hmm, I'm sceptical - I'm sure we would have heard about it by now if they'd gone down that easy. Especially if by refuting Heisenberg you mean the uncertainty principle - if that goes down, so does everything else.
wanderer
Especially if by refuting Heisenberg you mean the uncertainty principle - if that goes down, so does everything else.
It's relatively easy to follow. Imagine you have a light-proof box, a lamp and a slit which allows a single photon at a time to escape. Now have a detector 1m away which picks up that photon. You now know both the position of the photon and its direction. It can't have QM tunnelled that far so it must have travelled there in a straight line at the speed of light.

Cheerio Heisenberg. :smile:
Reply 678
grumballcake
It's relatively easy to follow. Imagine you have a light-proof box, a lamp and a slit which allows a single photon at a time to escape. Now have a detector 1m away which picks up that photon. You now know both the position of the photon and its direction. It can't have QM tunnelled that far so it must have travelled there in a straight line at the speed of light.

Cheerio Heisenberg. :smile:

Well done, you just overthrew quantum mechanics. :rolleyes: If it was that simple, do you think that the vast majority of scientists would have accepted the uncertainty principle as the basis of one of the most fundamental models in current science?

Basically you're talking about a measurement in retrospect. The idea that you can go from gaining accurate information now, and work backwards to get accurate information. Which would be fine, except for one major problem - you can't get accurate information now either. The uncertainty principle applies to your detector just as much as it does to everything else. You will never know with complete accuracy exactly when the photon arrives at the detector, what direction it arrives from, or even where the detector picks it up. I think you might have trouble showing that its the same photon as well, although I'm not sure about the details of that.
wanderer
If it was that simple, do you think that the vast majority of scientists would have accepted the uncertainty principle as the basis of one of the most fundamental models in current science?
Actually, the "vast majority" of scientists don't, including such notaries as Einstein. It's been noted that the uncertainty principle helps the maths work, but that doesn't mean that it's right. Many physicists accept the uncertainty principle as one possible explanation, but only if they also accept Schroedinger and the Copenhagen interpretation.
Basically you're talking about a measurement in retrospect. The idea that you can go from gaining accurate information now, and work backwards to get accurate information.
No, I'm not. I know there's only one photon in transit (it's a light-proof box), so I know where it came from and when. Since I also know the distance it's travelled and the time it took, I know its velocity and direction. Those are 'now' quantities. How are you proposing that you measure velocity? What means of measuring velocity does not include two discrete observations in time?
You will never know with complete accuracy exactly when the photon arrives at the detector
What evidence do you offer for this bald assertion? You can't invoke the uncertainty principle in order to justify itself.
what direction it arrives from
We know where it was and where it is. We also know its velocity (it must be exactly the speed of light, if it's a photon), so we can check that it took the correct time to travel from source to destination (since we know how far apart they are). That rules out the chance that it's not the same photon, or that it took a path other than a straight line from source to detector. You're left to argue that it QM tunnelled to some other location at some point and thus arrived on a different vector. However, you can repeat the experiment many times and QM tunnelling becomes exceptionally unlikely as a possibility (it's blooming unlikely to start with over a distance as large as 1m).

Latest

Trending

Trending