TSR Philosophy Society (TSR PhilSoc) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mishael
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd like to join! I'm about to start applying to uni to do philosophy and I'm teaching myself the AQA AS course this year, so I think I'm going to need all the help i can get!
Mat666
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Sure thing mate. I'm not sure how hard teaching yourself philosophy will be.
Mishael
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I'm enlisting the informal help of a teacher at school so hopefully it will be possible. Does anyone know of a good AS philosophy textbook?
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you are doing the AQA syllabus then take a look at "Understanding Philosophy...for AS Level" by Christopher Hamilton.

ISBN: 0 7487 6560 3

It helped me to get an A.
Ian88
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by heyPyro)
I like ur quotes Ian88, lol. And i noice u have a pic of the matrix; i love the philosophy in the 1st film, it was wat made it so brilliant, the second 2 wer not so gd in that department tho ne thing with keanue reeves in it is worth watching! , yer so bk to philsosphy.... !
I actually stole my avatar :-S ; but I like it a lot even tho it's not actually 'mine' , I personally think Existenz was a better film tho
Ian88
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
Well, I was thinking more of Plato, Aquinas, Descartes, etc. But surely Spinozas conception of God is a pretty big piece of theology?
not at all, its very philosophical. Perhaps one might discover some mystical tendencies in it, but it isn`t theological / scriptural / historical / creedal at all!
Ian88
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
got my first rep and it was negative
it even said '**** off you red neck'

I need some comforting .... !
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ian88)
got my first rep and it was negative
it even said '**** off you red neck'

I need some comforting .... !
Awww, shall I find out who it is and give them a warning?

Nice to meet you. I'm Adhsur (mod ) and seemingly a member of this society too. Are you going to be doing it at uni?
Lucy4Happiness
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hiya all, im just about to start coursework at school (except in History because I started that a year early which means I will get an AS level in History in year 11 !) I have told my self I am going to concentrate this year because although I got good results lkast eyar I didnt put in mcuh effort. To boost this image Im also helping out more at home and have been doing for the past month or so. To add to this Id like some work experience in media or law or accountancy. Media is my main interest although Im eagerly willinging to do ANY work experience at weekends as well as Thursdays and Fridays after 2.20pm. I want osmething to help me learn but I presume I will be making tea and coffee most of the time, but I am fine with this because at least I know I am helping someone even if it is for no money! I am very flexible with time except when Im at school. If anyone has any form of work experience in the greater manchester/manchester area please do email me ([email protected]). Also any Saturday jobs, or just jobs, in rochdale and surrounding areas, also email me. Thank You
Lucy
Ian88
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Awww, shall I find out who it is and give them a warning?

Nice to meet you. I'm Adhsur (mod ) and seemingly a member of this society too. Are you going to be doing it at uni?
dunno yet, looks very interestin tho, esp. interested in maths / philo or linguistics / philo.
The bad rep came from a thread on terrorism, I think I upset someone who likes terrorists or something. I just don`t like it when people just insult you anonymously, it's a bit unmanly imho ta for pat on the back :-)
Mat666
By the way, Adhsur mate, you couldn't sort out some of the people who want to be part of the society and post here instead of pm'ing me could you? If the answer is 'no I'm too busy, get lost matt', thats fine
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mat666)
By the way, Adhsur mate, you couldn't sort out some of the people who want to be part of the society and post here instead of pm'ing me could you? If the answer is 'no I'm too busy, get lost matt', thats fine
Sorry I didn't quite understand what you mean?
Mat666
Err, just tell people that they can be a member of the society if they ask. Cos I'm not aroudn as often as I used to be.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did pm you, and you said yes, but I'm not on the list.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ian88)
not at all, its very philosophical. Perhaps one might discover some mystical tendencies in it, but it isn`t theological / scriptural / historical / creedal at all!
Definitions of theology from the American Heritage English Dictionary:

"1. The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.

2. A system or school of opinions concerning God and religious questions: Protestant theology; Jewish theology.

3. A course of specialized religious study usually at a college or seminary."

I'm using number one, you're using number two. We don't actually disagree. Makes quite a good philosophical point in itself.
Charlieee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing AS philosophy at the moment, finding it a bit tricky in places!
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
I did pm you, and you said yes, but I'm not on the list.
Yeah same here - i pm'd to join weeks ago, got a reply saying yes, and just noticed I've not been added to the list...
?
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Yeah same here - i pm'd to join weeks ago, got a reply saying yes, and just noticed I've not been added to the list...
?
Also sprach Zarathustra.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This sentance is false.

Discuss.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
This sentance is false.
It's a paradox - call the sentence 'X' (way less confusing than writing it out each time), and then if 'X' is true, it's false; but if 'X' is false, it's true.

I've never been sure how to answer this...
Is it simply a meaningless statement, as any truth-value assigned to it will be contradicted by the sentence?
Or is it not a statement at all, insofar as it's truth-value cannot be determined?

:confused:

ZarathustraX
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1525)
79.26%
Leave (399)
20.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed