Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Yes, but once you've chosen your university you have to be convinced that you've made the right choice. Otherwise, you'll always be thinking about whether you would have enjoyed it more somewhere else.

I'm sure they've accepted you because of your academic potential. This is Bath, not LSE!
    You know, for someone who got rejected, you're pretty optimistic. It's something different.

I have to make a decision by tomorrow as I'v dragged this on long enough. I'll just have to love the place for what it is I guess. Which ever it is. You know what really attracted me to Bath in teh first place? The cosiness of everything. I had a look at one of the clubs and liked how everybody seemed so caring and fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I hope you do choose Manchester. I think you'd really enjoy it here.

Goodbye.

Lex.
    Thank you, Lex. It's really sweet of you and I'll make sure to tell you of my big decision. I'm wondering right now if I'm stressing out because of a petty decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatrice)
    You know, for someone who got rejected, you're pretty optimistic. It's something different.

I have to make a decision by tomorrow as I'v dragged this on long enough. I'll just have to love the place for what it is I guess. Which ever it is. You know what really attracted me to Bath in teh first place? The cosiness of everything. I had a look at one of the clubs and it's very nice.
    You're beginning to sound like me. I had to set myself a deadline to make my final decision as I had delayed my confirmation for so long! My decision was between two different courses at Warwick rather than two universities though. I wonder if I went to the same club when I went to visit. There aren't many, so it easily could be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    You're beginning to sound like me. I had to set myself a deadline to make my final decision as I had delayed my confirmation for so long! My decision was between two different courses at Warwick rather than two universities though. I wonder if I went to the same club when I went to visit. There aren't many, so it easily could be!
    I think it was the Canoe Club. I loved the fact that they could go to the beach and that it's not too far away. Which courses, if you don't mind me asking? I had/have so many deadlines for this one that it doesn't have the same effect anymore. I WILL decide tomorrow. At least I'll try.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, I have to study now. I'll probably be here tomorrow (big decision, you know). Thanks for all your help! I've been enlightened and entertained. Please write in any advice as you see fit!

I'm Beatrice by the way. I accidentally made two accounts.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was the Canoe Club. I loved the fact that they could go to the beach and that it's not too far away. Which courses, if you don't mind me asking?
    Don't think I went to that club. I had to choose between Economics and MORSE. I thought I'd better set a deadline, as I wanted to get my accommodation application in.

I had/have so many deadlines for this one that it doesn't have the same effect anymore. I WILL decide tomorrow. At least I'll try.
    I'll be waiting for your announcement in this thread tomorrow then!

ReputationRep:
    Bath probably has different standards of accomodation, the accomodation I saw in Bath seemed perfectly normal, same as all the unis I'd visited. Same as Manchester's, same as Warwick's, same as Liverpool's. I could go on.

As for the actual cities, whilst Bath has some stunning architecture as a town, I think campus wise, Manchester wins hands down. As people have mentioned. The fact that there is UMIST/Manchester Met and of course University of Manchester consuming Oxford Road means the place really does turn into a mass of student activity, all day and all night (but not unpleasently so). Just think, you have this two mile stretch of Manchester, and all of it is dedicated to facilitating life for what must be 50 000+ students.

As for travel, it's very cheap as amazingtrade said, there's that £3.00 weekly student thingy.

The architecture in Manchester can be stunning.
    http://home.arcor.de/manfredpfalzgra...tos/uman03.jpg
    I'm sure you'll recognise that building from the brochures.

http://home.arcor.de/manfredpfalzgra...os/withall.jpg
    I have been to numerous economics lectures which took place here.
    Don't get the 18,000 Salford students who are based just 1 mile away and share all the same facilities so its more like 70,000

ReputationRep:
    Oh and just for the record, students, there is life in Manchester beyond that distant place you know of as St Peter's Square
    What??

ReputationRep:
    just noticed, all thats mentioned is mostly about how good manchester is.. what about bath? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_help)
    To be honest, i didn't like bath, it was a long way out of the town and the campus was very 60's/70's. Everything looked tatty and facilities were kind of lacking. The accommodation was horrible - just like army barracks. The place in general didn't seem very friendly either - just not the place i would of been happy spending 3 years. - Being restricted to the campus area would certainly get boring.
    Not meaning to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Facilities may not be amazing, but we are a small Uni considering our rep.
    Have you seen the new accomodation? I can't think of any accomodation that looks specifically like "an army barracks", it seems like a very strange thing to say.
    I thought Bath had a reputation for being friendly, but clearly I'm mistaken.

The town is a 5 minute bus ride away. I hardly consider this a long way out of town.

ReputationRep:
    The cosiness of everything. I had a look at one of the clubs and liked how everybody seemed so caring and fun.
    This is one thing I'm definitely going to miss, when living in town next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hello i go to school in bath but am hoping to attend Manchester university in August.

To me it is very simple. If you want a nice safe city surrounded by lovely people , a good uni, beautiful architecture and the best free student sports facilities in Britain go to Bath. The accomodation isn't an issue, and getting into the City is easy, you can walk it in 20mins down the hill and get a bus in 5mins.

Manchester is very different. There is alot more going on as it is a much bigger city and I think that makes it slightly more intimidating i think, however personally i am looking forward to it as the night life is quiet compared to a large city like manchester.

So it comes down do you want more exciting big city or friendlier smaller city.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is still a very friendly city though, I am not sure how it compares to Bath for this, but its much more friendly than London. All the university students in Manchester certainly seem very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Manchester is still a very friendly city though, I am not sure how it compares to Bath for this, but its much more friendly than London. All the university students in Manchester certainly seem very friendly.
    i have only been to manchester twice but i have found bath more friendly that is not to say that manchester isnt tho

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I wouldn't take what people say from these forums. Manchester is a big city, and people from Manchester defend in vehemently. Also, people who go to Manchester (and surrounding Unis) are more likely to defend it. Likewise, you shouldn't take what I say as gospel, because I'm at Bath.

Although I would say that Bath is a better University than Manchester, I would base your decisions on where you think you will be happiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    TBH, I wouldn't take what people say from these forums. Manchester is a big city, and people from Manchester defend in vehemently. Also, people who go to Manchester (and surrounding Unis) are more likely to defend it. Likewise, you shouldn't take what I say as gospel, because I'm at Bath.

Although I would say that Bath is a better University than Manchester, I would base your decisions on where you think you will be happiest.
    very well put, i think i might of gone to bath if i didnt live here

ReputationRep:
    Bath probably has different standards of accomodation, the accomodation I saw in Bath seemed perfectly normal, same as all the unis I'd visited. Same as Manchester's, same as Warwick's, same as Liverpool's. I could go on.

As for the actual cities, whilst Bath has some stunning architecture as a town, I think campus wise, Manchester wins hands down. As people have mentioned. The fact that there is UMIST/Manchester Met and of course University of Manchester consuming Oxford Road means the place really does turn into a mass of student activity, all day and all night (but not unpleasently so). Just think, you have this two mile stretch of Manchester, and all of it is dedicated to facilitating life for what must be 50 000+ students.

As for travel, it's very cheap as amazingtrade said, there's that £3.00 weekly student thingy.

The architecture in Manchester can be stunning.
    http://home.arcor.de/manfredpfalzgra...tos/uman03.jpg
    I'm sure you'll recognise that building from the brochures.

http://home.arcor.de/manfredpfalzgra...os/withall.jpg
    I have been to numerous economics lectures which took place here.
    It's beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided. It's Bath. I hope it's the rihgt decision.

I based it upon the fact that they have the course I want and are willing to tutor me if I need it. I have nothing at all against Manchester, I would still love to go, but I have to get my priorties right, according to my parents.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.