Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    I put heat only.......
    then nvm
    you`ll get 1 point
    but if you put dissolved in ethanol,another point
    bear in mind that this is for the elimination reaction

Hey, For EDEXCEL Unit 2 paper... there was a question that asked to you to prove that an emperical formula was C2H9N... the next question went on about what the reagent and conditions were. I put down that Potassium Cyanide was needed, but my friend says conc. Ammonia.... I think he;s right...what did you get for that question???

Also, in the unit 3 paper, the last part of question 1.. it asked to distinguish between solide sodium bromide and solid sodium chloride (i think). would the answer be that Chloride gas is given off (for sodium chloride upon adding conc. H2SO4) and that it turns damp blue litmus paper red and then bleaching it. And for NaBr; Brown gas of Bromine given off that also turns damp litmus paper red but does not bleach it... I think the second part is wrong . Also, do you think that i lost a few marks on the same paper (for the last question) by not putting that a stop watch was needed....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    Hey, For EDEXCEL Unit 2 paper... there was a question that asked to you to prove that an emperical formula was C2H9N... the next question went on about what the reagent and conditions were. I put down that Potassium Cyanide was needed, but my friend says conc. Ammonia.... I think he;s right...what did you get for that question???

Also, in the unit 3 paper, the last part of question 1.. it asked to distinguish between solide sodium bromide and solid sodium chloride (i think). would the answer be that Chloride gas is given off (for sodium chloride upon adding conc. H2SO4) and that it turns damp blue litmus paper red and then bleaching it. And for NaBr; Brown gas of Bromine given off that also turns damp litmus paper red but does not bleach it... I think the second part is wrong . Also, do you think that i lost a few marks on the same paper (for the last question) by not putting that a stop watch was needed....
    for that unit 2 question
    that compound was a primary amine,therefore the reagents are aq,ammonia in an ethanolic solution,heated in a sealed tube if the conditions were asked,but it wasnt asked right?
    conc.ammonia can be used also i think

sorry cant help you with unit 3 cause i didnt do it
    but ill try
    if you add conc.H2SO4....steamy fumes of HCL will be produced for NaCl and changes damp litmus paper red.
    And for NaBr...Hbr will be produced.
    thats how to distinguish them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalaysianDude)
    for that unit 2 question
    that compound was a primary amine,therefore the reagents are aq,ammonia in an ethanolic solution,heated in a sealed tube if the conditions were asked,but it wasnt asked right?

but ill try
    if you add conc.H2SO4....steamy fumes of HCL will be produced for NaCl and changes damp litmus paper red.
    does it bleach or turn red? ppl say bleach... o crap.

btw not hbr... thats the first step and not the final product... and they are SO2, Br2 and H2O.

for that unit 2 question

but ill try
    No, but wouldnt HBr also turn damp litmus paper red to an extent?

(Original post by z!D4N)

btw not hbr... thats the first step and not the final product... and they are SO2, Br2 and H2O.
    it turns red and then bleaches.... that question was worth like 5 marks so I think that you had to mention both points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)

are you sure?
    cause i know that if you add conc.H2SO4 into a chlorine compount,HCL will be produced...
    I dont think HCl decolorises litmus paper

but oh well...nvm about that
    it has been sometime since i last revised my unit 3
    oh well

are you sure?
    cause i know that if you add conc.H2SO4 into a chlorine compount,HCL will be produced...
    I dont think HCl decolorises litmus paper
    the test was stated in the question "Add conc. H2SO4 to solid NaCl and NaBr and test with damp blue litmus paper" so it must had something to do with bleaching otherwise there will only be 4 points mentioned out of 5....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)

Not all HBr is oxidized
    So they are SO2, Br2, HBr (you dont have to mention H2O)

ReputationRep:
    the test was stated in the question "Add conc. H2SO4 to solid NaCl and NaBr and test with damp blue litmus paper" so it must had something to do with bleaching otherwise there will only be 4 points mentioned out of 5....
    Which can bleach the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Not all HBr is oxidized
    So they are SO2, Br2, HBr (you dont have to mention H2O)
    lol, SO2 is acidic anyway.

[QUOTE=keisiuho]Which can bleach the paper?QUOTE]
    Chlorine gas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    lol, SO2 is acidic anyway.
    yes
    Also HBr is a stronger acid than HCl
    so it will turns red at first away

But i dont know if it will be bleached

ReputationRep:
    Chlorine gas
    Conc. sulphuric acid is not strong enough to oxidise chloride to chlorine

yes

no, it says in my text book that Chlorine will bleach damp litmus paper after turning it red..

ReputationRep:
    yes

my friends say that... im not sure.

ReputationRep:
    no, it says in my text book that Chlorine will bleach damp litmus paper after turning it red..
    Yes.
    But there is no chlorine produced

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    But there is no chlorine produced
    yups i agree..
    how can there be a decolorisation
    it should just change from blue to red
    and thats it
    just mention that its a white fume which changes damp blue litmus paper into red
    that s it

ReputationRep:
    maaan i soooo wished i retaken unit 1 after hearing it was easier than unit 2..
    i was laffin away in unit 2.. would put me in a much better position than i am in now :/

ReputationRep:
    yups i agree..
    how can there be a decolorisation
    it should just change from blue to red
    and thats it
    just mention that its a white fume which changes damp blue litmus paper into red
    that s it
    steamy fume actually

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.