meeting people at freshers - not in halls

Watch
icj63
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
SO I am technically in student halls but they're at a different uni which starts later... my freshers is next week and I don't think I'll get flatmates til next weekend. I'm not generally anxious socially but am fairly shy and I've been in this city a week already by myself so have had a lot of time to overthink freshers..how the heck am I going to meet people to go out with? I'm in the halls freshers group on fb (dumb move !) and everyone is having a great time at halls only events this weekend. It's going to take a fair bit of courage to turn up to pub crawls etc. totally alone. I guess I have the impression that most people already got a group to do freshers with and looking for reassurance from the minority who've done it living at home or elsewherethanks
Mpagtches
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Student societies

And most people don't already have friendship groups when they get to uni: some might have met lots of people before, maybe online, but they are highly likely to find that they don't get on with half of them and to make lots of different friends fairly quickly.
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by icj63)
SO I am technically in student halls but they're at a different uni which starts later... my freshers is next week and I don't think I'll get flatmates til next weekend. I'm not generally anxious socially but am fairly shy and I've been in this city a week already by myself so have had a lot of time to overthink freshers..

how the heck am I going to meet people to go out with? I'm in the halls freshers group on fb (dumb move !) and everyone is having a great time at halls only events this weekend. It's going to take a fair bit of courage to turn up to pub crawls etc. totally alone. I guess I have the impression that most people already got a group to do freshers with and looking for reassurance from the minority who've done it living at home or elsewhere

thanks
If this is the case, maybe get a friend to come up from home? A couple of people I know lived at home in the local area and brought their friends to go freshers with them and made friends as the evenings went on. Other people invited friends up etc. If not, wait till you get your flat mates and invite them out and what not. If not, seek your universites Facebook group or something and start talking to people and invite them out etc! You can join societies and go to different freshers day time events and make friends as you go! It'll all come naturally!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by icj63)
SO I am technically in student halls but they're at a different uni which starts later... my freshers is next week and I don't think I'll get flatmates til next weekend. I'm not generally anxious socially but am fairly shy and I've been in this city a week already by myself so have had a lot of time to overthink freshers..

how the heck am I going to meet people to go out with? I'm in the halls freshers group on fb (dumb move !) and everyone is having a great time at halls only events this weekend. It's going to take a fair bit of courage to turn up to pub crawls etc. totally alone. I guess I have the impression that most people already got a group to do freshers with and looking for reassurance from the minority who've done it living at home or elsewhere

thanks
It's true that most people living in halls stick with their hallmates during freshers. Nothing wrong though with you either putting out a message on facebook to ask if you can join a group living in halls for the events or finding others not living in the uni halls who would want to go out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (677)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads