The Student Room Group

What do Cambridge like to see in undergraduate students?

I am 14 and adamant I want to go to Cambridge (closely followed by Oxford) to study law. After doing research on the best universities for law, it was obvious Cambridge was regarded as the best, and it is also statistically easier to get accepted if you are from a state school, as i am.
However, I am very anxious about the future as I am now in year 10 and I know the importance of these next 4 years at school, not only in working hard at school but also my improving my CV/UCAS to enhance my chances of being accepted.
My hobbies are;
Chess, debating and piano.
I have also done my DofE bronze award and i am trying to get a scholarship for the Oxford summer school next year to do an Introduction to Law course. I have also secured my placement for work experience with a barrister in chambers in birmingham for next july(work experience which i aim to do twice due to the opportunities at my school). I also volunteer at the local hospice weekly and I write the school newsletter.
I haven't yet been told what my predicted grade are for GCSE, however I am i the top set for maths and English, in a school which is in the top 25% of schools in Britain. I am very academically able, but i know that Oxbridge expect the best.
I would seriously appreciate it if a student at cambridge could give me some advice, especially if you were in the same position as I and perhaps tell me of other things i could be doing to enhance my UCAS.
Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

It's so lovely to see people so young being this ambitious and driven. I hope you do well in your GCSEs, A-levels and become a fantastic lawyer one day
Enjoy your youth while it lasts :confused:
Reply 3
Lol play fifa with me boy
Original post by SCAR H
Lol play fifa with me boy

lool u seem more like a call of duty lad......
Original post by mhopkins
I am 14 and adamant I want to go to Cambridge (closely followed by Oxford) to study law. After doing research on the best universities for law, it was obvious Cambridge was regarded as the best, and it is also statistically easier to get accepted if you are from a state school, as i am.
However, I am very anxious about the future as I am now in year 10 and I know the importance of these next 4 years at school, not only in working hard at school but also my improving my CV/UCAS to enhance my chances of being accepted.
My hobbies are;
Chess, debating and piano.
I have also done my DofE bronze award and i am trying to get a scholarship for the Oxford summer school next year to do an Introduction to Law course. I have also secured my placement for work experience with a barrister in chambers in birmingham for next july(work experience which i aim to do twice due to the opportunities at my school). I also volunteer at the local hospice weekly and I write the school newsletter.
I haven't yet been told what my predicted grade are for GCSE, however I am i the top set for maths and English, in a school which is in the top 25% of schools in Britain. I am very academically able, but i know that Oxbridge expect the best.
I would seriously appreciate it if a student at cambridge could give me some advice, especially if you were in the same position as I and perhaps tell me of other things i could be doing to enhance my UCAS.
Thank you in advance!

I received an interview for Cambridge (did not get accepted sadly). Firstly, make sure you do extremely well in your GCSE's, and then your A levels (I believe they are changing the A level system so it will probably be different to what I did). The law work experience will be helpful. Some background reading on law would be a good idea, although you can save that for a time closer to when you will apply to university. See if Cambridge have a reading list for Law etc.

To summarise:

1. Focus on getting outstanding GCSE/A level results
2. Work Experience
3. Background Reading

Edit: Do you play chess to a competitive level? If so, it may well be worth mentioning to Cambridge/Oxford when you apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jonnypdot
lool u seem more like a call of duty lad......

I love battlefield 4 and fifa !!
Reply 7
Original post by EXTREMEninja
I received an interview for Cambridge (did not get accepted sadly). Firstly, make sure you do extremely well in your GCSE's, and then your A levels (I believe they are changing the A level system so it will probably be different to what I did). The law work experience will be helpful. Some background reading on law would be a good idea, although you can save that for a time closer to when you will apply to university. See if Cambridge have a reading list for Law etc.

To summarise:

1. Focus on getting outstanding GCSE/A level results
2. Work Experience
3. Background Reading

Edit: Do you play chess to a competitive level? If so, it may well be worth mentioning to Cambridge/Oxford when you apply.

I've played chess as a hobby for the last few years and i'm aiming to join a club sometime within the next month. Could you tell me what kind of grades you got in GCSE and A level and what you applied to study there?
Reply 8
Original post by tanyapotter
It's so lovely to see people so young being this ambitious and driven. I hope you do well in your GCSEs, A-levels and become a fantastic lawyer one day

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by TunaTunnel
Enjoy your youth while it lasts :confused:

Youth doesn't last forever:colondollar:
I've played chess as a hobby for the last few years and i'm aiming to join a club sometime within the next month. Could you tell me what kind of grades you got in GCSE and A level and what you applied to study there?

That is a great idea, it will help you stand out against other candidates. I only did Maths and English for GCSE, A grades in both. For my AS levels, I achieved three A grades (plus a C in Physics A level, but I took that a year early). I applied for Mathematics.
Well, **** me, I wanted to be like Marilyn Monroe at the age of 14...

Enjoy your teenage years and you'll be fine if you're as motivated as you seem :smile:

Although I took one GCSE early, in Year 9, I didn't focus until the end of Year 10, when I was completing three further GCSEs. Loosen up, honestly, you'll be fine :h:

I applied to Cambridge this week, for 2016 entry, for Natural Sciences :smile:
If you're that ambitious you could look at Harvard, the world's best university for law, but you'd have to sit your SAT's alongside AS's.
Reply 13
Original post by EXTREMEninja

I've played chess as a hobby for the last few years and i'm aiming to join a club sometime within the next month.

Neither Chess (or DofE, etc) will help you with Law at Cambridge. Of course do them if you enjoy them, but as far as Cambridge (or Oxford) is concerned it's about your academics and super-curriculars (extra-curriculars relevant to your subject).
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
Neither Chess (or DofE, etc) will help you with Law at Cambridge. Of course do them if you enjoy them, but as far as Cambridge (or Oxford) is concerned it's about your academics and super-curriculars (extra-curriculars relevant to your subject).

Actually Chess shows that you can think strategically, and DofE proves you are committed and can work as a team, whilst also having to be independent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by enaayrah
Well, **** me, I wanted to be like Marilyn Monroe at the age of 14...

Enjoy your teenage years and you'll be fine if you're as motivated as you seem :smile:

Although I took one GCSE early, in Year 9, I didn't focus until the end of Year 10, when I was completing three further GCSEs. Loosen up, honestly, you'll be fine :h:

I applied to Cambridge this week, for 2016 entry, for Natural Sciences :smile:

Due to the changing of the GCSE grades (from letters to numbers) which is proposed to happen for the 2017 GCSEs, I am to take maths a year early, and English lit (followed by Lang in year 11). Luckily I'll take the rest in year 11 so there will be less pressure as maths and English are most important to me.
Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by HistoryStudent1
If you're that ambitious you could look at Harvard, the world's best university for law, but you'd have to sit your SAT's alongside AS's.

And then retrain to practice law in England.
Harvard isn't that much better...
(Cambridge is world #2 if you follow rankings)
Reply 17
Actually Chess shows that you can think strategically, and DofE proves you are committed and can work as a team, whilst also having to be independent

Cambridge doesn't care.
Original post by HistoryStudent1

Harvard Law is a postgraduate degree and you can't compare law between 2 different countries.
Original post by jneill

It may not be a major factor, but it could well help in filtering between applicants of a similar standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending