YsfAli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im trying to find any criticism of Konrad Lorenzs study of his geese experiment if any? It would be great if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks
pedarzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by YsfAli)
Im trying to find any criticism of Konrad Lorenzs study of his geese experiment if any? It would be great if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks
don't know if you still need help but I would say that the geese lack generalisability to humans and therefore the results could be oversimplified.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pedarzz)
don't know if you still need help but I would say that the geese lack generalisability to humans and therefore the results could be oversimplified.
He wasn't trying to generalise to humans.

I dont think he did his experiments very scientifically, (i.e. with control groups, statistical comparisons), but im not sure. Either way imprinting is very well established in birds.
pedarzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
He wasn't trying to generalise to humans.

I dont think he did his experiments very scientifically, (i.e. with control groups, statistical comparisons), but im not sure. Either way imprinting is very well established in birds.
Ok fair enough, although the results have been used to support Bowlbys evolutionay theory, which is applied to humans.

Maybe you could argue that the theory of monotropy was oversimplified. Lorenz believed the birs would immediately attach to one individual and one individual only, which is fairly mechanistic.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pedarzz)
Ok fair enough, although the results have been used to support Bowlbys evolutionay theory, which is applied to humans.

Maybe you could argue that the theory of monotropy was oversimplified. Lorenz believed the birs would immediately attach to one individual and one individual only, which is fairly mechanistic.
I think thats Bowlby who really made those interpretations of lorenz's theory - i dont think lorenz said anything about attachment to specific individuals. So yes you could critique Bowlby's interpretations of lorenz there. Birds can attach to objects aswell (like little bits of plastic) as individuals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
42.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.31%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (117)
39.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
2.04%

Watched Threads