The Student Room Group

Help! Is it too late to get into University?

Hey lads,

I'm new to this forum so I didn't really know in which sub-forum I should post this thread. Anyway, I applied for a tier-4 visa as an international student and just recently got a refusal because of a missing document, I decide to create a fresh application and pay for the priority fee to speed things up. It usually takes between a week and 10 days. However, I'm still waiting for that missing document (bank statement) which is quite hard to get for some reason. My course starts on the 21st (tomorrow :s-smilie:) and i thought about missing a few weeks, which is better than waiting for the next september. However, I don't know if every university does that..
What is the usual latest date to start a course as an undergraduate? And who should I contact now? I might lose my accomodation place but also my place at uni :s-smilie: This thread might be useless but have you guys ever faced this kind of problem? And what did you do? I'm kinda stuck now. I don't know when I'll get my visa this is so frustrating :angry:
Sorry and thanks in advance for any tip!
Original post by NotoriousG
Hey lads,

I'm new to this forum so I didn't really know in which sub-forum I should post this thread. Anyway, I applied for a tier-4 visa as an international student and just recently got a refusal because of a missing document, I decide to create a fresh application and pay for the priority fee to speed things up. It usually takes between a week and 10 days. However, I'm still waiting for that missing document (bank statement) which is quite hard to get for some reason. My course starts on the 21st (tomorrow :s-smilie:) and i thought about missing a few weeks, which is better than waiting for the next september. However, I don't know if every university does that..
What is the usual latest date to start a course as an undergraduate? And who should I contact now? I might lose my accomodation place but also my place at uni :s-smilie: This thread might be useless but have you guys ever faced this kind of problem? And what did you do? I'm kinda stuck now. I don't know when I'll get my visa this is so frustrating :angry:
Sorry and thanks in advance for any tip!

Ring up the university and check their policy on receiving your visa late and whether they'll hold your place
Reply 3
Original post by frances98
Ring up the university and check their policy on receiving your visa late and whether they'll hold your place

Alright, I'll do that tomorrow morning. Also, what if I get my visa but it is too late to be accepted at uni? And do you think Unis do January intakes for the same course as I applied to?
Alright, I'll do that tomorrow morning. Also, what if I get my visa but it is too late to be accepted at uni? And do you think Unis do January intakes for the same course as I applied to?

Visa problems will not be unusual. As said above, contact the uni sooner rather than later.

For instance, see MMU advice:
I won't arrive in time for/have missed pre-enrolment, what do I do now?
If you have missed pre-enrolment you will need to contact the International Enrol team. Depending on your latest date of enrolment, as stated on your CAS/Unconditional offer, you may still be able to join your course. Please contact International Enrol to discuss your case further or attend one of our late pre-enrol sessions as listed below:
Manchester based students
Students arriving after the 21 September 2015 (due to visa/flight delays) must contact MMU International, Student Hub, All Saints Campus. Consultation times Monday Friday 10:00 12:00 and 13:00 15:00. Telephone (0)161 247 1022, option 3.

Cheshire based students
Students arriving after the 21 September 2015 (due to visa/flight delays) must contact The Student Information Point (Ground Floor, Laurence Building, Crewe Campus). Opening times Monday Friday 9.00am - 4.00pm. Telephone (0)161 247 1022, option 3 or the Student Information Point, Crewe Campus on (0)161 247 5135/5272.

This suggests that you can start late, but I would imagine that they are talking in terms of a couple of weeks, not a whole term. Most UK degrees have only one intake, at the start of the autumn term.
Do you know when your last chance to enroll is? For my uni it's the week after freshers week.
Definitely ring the university and ask them what you can do, hopefully they'll be able to sort something out. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people so don't panic :smile: good luck
Reply 6
Original post by thecatwithnohat

What am I supposed to understand??
Reply 7
Original post by Holmstock
Visa problems will not be unusual. As said above, contact the uni sooner rather than later.

For instance, see MMU advice:
I won't arrive in time for/have missed pre-enrolment, what do I do now?
If you have missed pre-enrolment you will need to contact the International Enrol team. Depending on your latest date of enrolment, as stated on your CAS/Unconditional offer, you may still be able to join your course. Please contact International Enrol to discuss your case further or attend one of our late pre-enrol sessions as listed below:
Manchester based students
Students arriving after the 21 September 2015 (due to visa/flight delays) must contact MMU International, Student Hub, All Saints Campus. Consultation times Monday Friday 10:00 12:00 and 13:00 15:00. Telephone (0)161 247 1022, option 3.

Cheshire based students
Students arriving after the 21 September 2015 (due to visa/flight delays) must contact The Student Information Point (Ground Floor, Laurence Building, Crewe Campus). Opening times Monday Friday 9.00am - 4.00pm. Telephone (0)161 247 1022, option 3 or the Student Information Point, Crewe Campus on (0)161 247 5135/5272.

This suggests that you can start late, but I would imagine that they are talking in terms of a couple of weeks, not a whole term. Most UK degrees have only one intake, at the start of the autumn term.

Thanks for all of that, how many weeks do you think it is considered too late?
Reply 8
Original post by Hevachan
Do you know when your last chance to enroll is? For my uni it's the week after freshers week.
Definitely ring the university and ask them what you can do, hopefully they'll be able to sort something out. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people so don't panic :smile: good luck

I have absolutely no clue but will definitely ring them up to find a solution; and it's really hard not to panic right now :banghead:
Reply 9
I have absolutely no clue but will definitely ring them up to find a solution; and it's really hard not to panic right now :banghead:

I would take my time, organize things well in advance, do some more reading on my course and reapply next year .... That is because I would not cope very well alone under pressure in a foreign country
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
I would take my time, organize things well in advance, do some more reading on my course and reapply next year .... That is because I would not cope very well alone under pressure in a foreign country

I experienced homesickness before :wink: and I did everything in advance but had to wait until very late to get a final decision from the Uni. And I don't wanna reapply next year, I wasted too much time already :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I experienced homesickness before :wink: and I did everything in advance but had to wait until very late to get a final decision from the Uni. And I don't wanna reapply next year, I wasted too much time already :s-smilie:

It was a thought on my part ...
I do not cope very well under pressure and that is what I would have done ...
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
It was a thought on my part ...
I do not cope very well under pressure and that is what I would have done ...

Well I'm kinda used to pressure so I wouldn't mind but thanks!
Reply 13
Well I'm kinda used to pressure so I wouldn't mind but thanks!

I hope it works well at the end.
all the best.
Reply 14
Original post by TeeEm
I hope it works well at the end.
all the best.

I hope so too!
Cheers! :smile:
What am I supposed to understand??

"@claireestelle" means that "catwithnohat" believes that "claireestelle" is probably best placed on TSR to give you advice based on tons of experience, albeit in general terms.

However, given that your university admissions service will be open in a couple of hours, it will be best to talk to them directly asap.

What course did you apply to and where? You might be able to defer for a year if needs be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending