i'm really finding it difficult to cope with anxiety/ED

Watch
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 51 years ago
it is controlling my life and distracting me from revising for my a-level exams. this is such a crucial time for me as i'm applying to universities and will need to work to a level which will help me meet the offers i get, but i can't. i really can't and i feel so alone. does anyone know any ways of coping when you don't have medical help immediately available to you and have school to be attending/homework to do?

i know you shouldn't ever compromise mental health for academics but i can't really afford to take time off to get better and frankly i don't want to. is there a way to just quickly shut out negative thoughts for the next 6 months until my A2 exams are done? (i'll worry about what comes after later) like what can i tell myself, how do i distract myself etc.
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tanyapotter)
it is controlling my life and distracting me from revising for my a-level exams. this is such a crucial time for me as i'm applying to universities and will need to work to a level which will help me meet the offers i get, but i can't. i really can't and i feel so alone. does anyone know any ways of coping when you don't have medical help immediately available to you and have school to be attending/homework to do?

i know you shouldn't ever compromise mental health for academics but i can't really afford to take time off to get better and frankly i don't want to. is there a way to just quickly shut out negative thoughts for the next 6 months until my A2 exams are done? (i'll worry about what comes after later) like what can i tell myself, how do i distract myself etc.
Hi tanyapotter. I think the first thing you need to do is realise that you are not alone, no matter how isolated or lonely you feel. I understand how you feel about prioritising your education because that's how I feel too. I don't know how useful you will find my advise but I think that you need to believe in yourself and have faith that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it, as cheesy as it sounds.
I find that praying is very relaxing and calming when I'm stressed or worried. If you aren't religious, you could try meditating for a short period of time before/ between/ after revising (whichever works best for you).
I also like keeping a diary. At first, I found it hard sticking to writing in it every day, but I eventually managed to turn it into a night time routine. I think that being able to write down exactly how I'm feeling helps me to feel less weighed down by my problems. I really would recommend this if you don't do this already.
Something that I am currently trying to do at the moment it make sure that I have a balance between free time and study time. It is important to be able to take part in your own hobbies as well as revising, and I sometimes get so focused when doing my revision. I think it's important to make sure that you always have a break in between revision time to do things you want to do for fun. There are lots of suggestions online about timetables for revision. However, I have heard that it's been scientifically proven that you shouldn't study/revise for longer than an hour at a time. In this case, you could revise for an hour, have a 15 minute break, then revise for another hour (or you could make something up along these lines).

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way that people can simply shut out negative thoughts but I did find a website which I think is quite useful, and I hope you do too:
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/an...p-worrying.htm
I hope that this helps and I wish you luck with completing your A2 exams and applying for university.
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Matrix123)
Hi tanyapotter. I think the first thing you need to do is realise that you are not alone, no matter how isolated or lonely you feel. I understand how you feel about prioritising your education because that's how I feel too. I don't know how useful you will find my advise but I think that you need to believe in yourself and have faith that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it, as cheesy as it sounds.
I find that praying is very relaxing and calming when I'm stressed or worried. If you aren't religious, you could try meditating for a short period of time before/ between/ after revising (whichever works best for you).
I also like keeping a diary. At first, I found it hard sticking to writing in it every day, but I eventually managed to turn it into a night time routine. I think that being able to write down exactly how I'm feeling helps me to feel less weighed down by my problems. I really would recommend this if you don't do this already.
Something that I am currently trying to do at the moment it make sure that I have a balance between free time and study time. It is important to be able to take part in your own hobbies as well as revising, and I sometimes get so focused when doing my revision. I think it's important to make sure that you always have a break in between revision time to do things you want to do for fun. There are lots of suggestions online about timetables for revision. However, I have heard that it's been scientifically proven that you shouldn't study/revise for longer than an hour at a time. In this case, you could revise for an hour, have a 15 minute break, then revise for another hour (or you could make something up along these lines).

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way that people can simply shut out negative thoughts but I did find a website which I think is quite useful, and I hope you do too:
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/an...p-worrying.htm
I hope that this helps and I wish you luck with completing your A2 exams and applying for university.
thank you so much
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tanyapotter)
thank you so much
You're welcome. I have to admit that I don't suffer from anxiety too but I do find myself worrying about lots of things everyday. As long as I have helped you today, I will be happy. I wish you the best of luck with all the things that life will bless you with, and I hope that you will be able to be happy and cope with your anxiety. Good luck with everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (339)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (269)
44.24%

Watched Threads