The Student Room Group

Too foreign but not too foreign.

Hello everyone,
My name is Marta, I moved to England 8 years ago and throughout those 8 years i have attended two high schools and two colleges, finishing the later with enough accrediting to enable me to study at a university, bah, I got into The University of Manchester studying English Language for Education. Upon reading my application the University granted me with an award for one of the most potential students to contribute to the educational system. Anyway, when I applied for a place at Uni through UCAS, I also applied for student finance at the same time, here comes the rocky road, once SFE received my application they started to ask for evidence (three years of continuous residency), first I was asked to provide something for my addresses, which I did, then I was asked to provide something from when I was a minor (my parents never claimed for me and I had a gap year in education from 2012 to 2013, so I struggled finding the evidence which would be acceptable, upon endless conversations with members of SFE, we established that I could send in a years worth of bank statements to cover me from Sep. 2012 to Sep. 2013, I was pretty positive that sending my certificate from Sep. 2013 to July 2015 would cover me for the rest of the residency period, to my surprise, I received a letter stating that I'm required to send more evidence as there's too little activity during the months of July-August-September 2013, additionally I have to acquire a letter from my college stating my attendance during Sep. 2013 to May 2014, upon phoning SFE, yet again, I was told that my certificate that I worked for, for two years of my life, only covers one day of my residency. The problem isn't in contacting the college, that has already been done and dusted, the major problem is in providing more evidence for the period of three months mentioned above, I made it clear to the representative of SFE whom I spoke to, that there is nothing else I can send in as evidence, not every 18 year old has money to frivolously spend. Such representative then said to write a letter along with the other evidence, asking them to reconsider the bank statements I sent previously, that's all great, but what is stopping those people in rejecting that evidence again? I have no other proof and frankly, it has gotten to the point where I'm considering leaving university for this year and withdrawing my SFE application. My question is: What other options do I have, once my claim is rejected? Thank you for your patience reading this essay-life-story and I hope to get some clear answers for once.
Hi,

I do apologize for the trouble you've had getting your finance approved. I would ask you to think about what else you can send for the three month period that's missing. We can accept:

Council Tax Bills
One for each year
Housing and Council tax Benefit Letters
Covers period stated in letter
Utility Bills
Water Bills, Electric Bills, Gas Bills, Phone Bills
P60’s
One for each year if showing full time wage
Not hand written.
Supporting evidence for Part time wage
Wage slips
Must look genuine not ones which look like they could be easily typed up on a computer
HMRC letters
Covers period stated in letter or issue date
Child Tax Credits letter
Covers period stated in letter
Child Benefit
This can be accepted as supporting evidence

Tax Returns and Tax Calculations
Showing Full name and address
(Not Hand written) – One for year each year stated in the letter e.g. 11/12 would cover two years.
Original Bank statements
Must cover start of course and show regular activity
EDOSTAR Statements
This can be accepted as supporting evidence
Must show regular activity
Internet printed bank statements with
This can be accepted as supporting evidence. It Must have a valid internet bank address at the bottom of the document.
Must be considered a safe and secure document to be accepted.
Department of Working Pensions letters, Disabled Living Allowance letters, Jobcentre Centre Plus letters
Showing details of Claim and Covers time stated in letter
Marriage and Child Birth Certificates
Supporting Evidence for Year dated
Medical cards
This can be accepted as supporting evidence for the year
CRB’s
This can be accepted as supporting evidence for the year
UK Border Agency Letters
Confirming date status granted
Home Office Documents
Confirming date status granted
The following is evidence a young student can provide toprove their 3 years residency may not be able to provide the above evidence:
For Students who are Minors
(Under 18 at 1st date requested)
Original Certificates
Letters from College or School
Stating dates they attended to and from on letter. Letter must be on headed paper with full address and hand signed.
Young Persons account
Showing small amounts in and out e.g. EMA payments
Child Tax Credits letter
In Parents name as long as Student is named on the award
Child Benefit
This can be accepted as supporting evidence. Parents are required to send in proof to support this e.g. P60’s
If the student has a previous application on the system check to see if a VHI check has been done. If it has we can accept this as proof.
School Reports
Showing year they attended, letter must be on headed paper with full address and hand signed by a teacher.

Remember, if you're sending anything listed as supporting evidence then you'll need to send something else for that period as well.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you Mark for your excellent and informative list of evidence I could provide. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the above mentioned except the bank statements which have been rejected for the stated period. Alternatively, could I possibly provide a letter from a respected and unrelated individual to vouch for my residency for that period of time? Similarly as when you're applying for a gun licence in the UK. For example a doctor or a member of my previous college which I would have had to have contacted in order to gain a place on the course.

Thank you,
Marta

Quick Reply

Latest