The Student Room Group

Ford Fiesta Mk7 Insurance (Second Year)

So, trying to get a quote on my second year car insurance, cannot work out why it's so expensive. I've got a 1.4L Mk7 Ford Fiesta, which I recently purchased. Last year I had a 1.2L 02 Reg Corsa SXI. My insurance last year was £1200 with a telematics box whilst I was a student.

I've since left university, and am working full time (apprenticeship), and my cheapest insurance quote for this year is £900 with one years no claims, and moved to a new car. I cannot renew with my current insurer as they're no longer doing insurance after my policy is up.

I can't work out why it's only a £300 difference when it's a years no claims and a year older (I'm 19). Maybe I'm just being too optimistic in thinking it could be cheaper elsewhere?
I think you are being a bit optimistic. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's when my premiums started coming down. I had three accidents under the age of 23 which probably accounts for the average age for accidents to happen hence why you are seeing high premiums.

Just suck it in and drive really carefully. I lost two years no claims when I had my last accident which nearly crippled me. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I am finally in the sub £300 bracket... 15 years later! :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
MUCH newer/more expensive car. Do you live in a city? If so a far more expensive car is going to be more to insure. Try to get a quote for your old car you might find that the big difference is offset by the fact your now driving a more valuable motor.
Reply 3
Play around with the comparison sites. For example on my sisters car, parking in a locked garage was £400 dearer than parked on the side of the road. It makes no sense, but it's insurance. Also saved her bothering renting a garage where she lived! Change anything you reasonably can without making the policy invalid to see what happens.
Reply 4
Be grateful, my insurance is 1.8k on a 1.4 astra and im 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending