loveslanguages
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everybody,
I wanted to know what it is like when you arrive at Groningen University and what it is like in terms of the teaching style?
I am interested in studying there, I have been to the Netherlands several times and have loved it. I can also speak and understand Dutch to a good and practical extent as learning languages is a passion of mine.

My main question is: when is it acceptable to apply to the university.
University of Groningen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by loveslanguages)
Hello everybody,
I wanted to know what it is like when you arrive at Groningen University and what it is like in terms of the teaching style?
I am interested in studying there, I have been to the Netherlands several times and have loved it. I can also speak and understand Dutch to a good and practical extent as learning languages is a passion of mine.

My main question is: when is it acceptable to apply to the university.
Hello it's the University of Groningen here!

I'm happy to hear you're interested in potentially studying here. I can of course talk for days about how wonderful it is here but why don't you come and visit? We have several events throughout the year and if those dates don't work we can meet you at a more convenient time. Regarding teaching style we have 'student for a day' events where you can buddy up with a current student and experience lectures, group work, food shopping etc... That will allow you to get a real feel for the experience of studying at the University of Groningen.

Applications open on the 1st October, you'll need to set up a Studielink account and you can select up to four programmes (all four can be at Groningen or of course split between four different universities). Could I ask which programme/programmes you are interested in studying? Some are numerus fixus programmes (like Medicine, Psychology, Business) which means they have a limited number of seats and you can only apply to one numerus fixus programme in the whole of the Netherlands... Sounds confusing but if you have any questions you know where I am!

Thanks and good luck!
loveslanguages
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by University of Groningen)
Hello it's the University of Groningen here!

I'm happy to hear you're interested in potentially studying here. I can of course talk for days about how wonderful it is here but why don't you come and visit? We have several events throughout the year and if those dates don't work we can meet you at a more convenient time. Regarding teaching style we have 'student for a day' events where you can buddy up with a current student and experience lectures, group work, food shopping etc... That will allow you to get a real feel for the experience of studying at the University of Groningen.

Applications open on the 1st October, you'll need to set up a Studielink account and you can select up to four programmes (all four can be at Groningen or of course split between four different universities). Could I ask which programme/programmes you are interested in studying? Some are numerus fixus programmes (like Medicine, Psychology, Business) which means they have a limited number of seats and you can only apply to one numerus fixus programme in the whole of the Netherlands... Sounds confusing but if you have any questions you know where I am!

Thanks and good luck!
Hello University of Groningen!

Thank you so much for your reply, the information you've given me has been so useful.
I am interested in the European languages and cultures (ETC) programme, are you able to tell me about what subjects (if any in particular) are preferred for this course please? I am currently studying German and French A-level.

Thank you!
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by loveslanguages)
Hello University of Groningen!

Thank you so much for your reply, the information you've given me has been so useful.
I am interested in the European languages and cultures (ETC) programme, are you able to tell me about what subjects (if any in particular) are preferred for this course please? I am currently studying German and French A-level.

Thank you!
We'll need 3 A Levels to be accepted onto this programme (no specific subjects required) but it is great you're studying relevant subjects!
RockH
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I was really interested in studying medicine in Netherlands (mainly due to the fees and I don't want to take out a student loan ). I have looked at both Groningen and Maastricht university for medicine and saw maastricht had a direct entry if you achieve 3 A* at a level and was wondering if Groningen had the same ?

Also I understand that the its split into 2 parts, the last 3 years you can only do if you know dutch but what level of dutch do you need to know so you can continue the course for the last 3 years ?
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RockH)
Hey, I was really interested in studying medicine in Netherlands (mainly due to the fees and I don't want to take out a student loan ). I have looked at both Groningen and Maastricht university for medicine and saw maastricht had a direct entry if you achieve 3 A* at a level and was wondering if Groningen had the same ?

Also I understand that the its split into 2 parts, the last 3 years you can only do if you know dutch but what level of dutch do you need to know so you can continue the course for the last 3 years ?
Hello

For entry into Groningen all applicants must participate in our testing day - if you do well in this and have high grades then yes it is likely you will be guaranteed a place.

The 3 years postgraduate part of the Medicine programme is in Dutch as you'll be working in Dutch hospitals and will have to have conversations with Dutch patients and colleagues. We offer 50 hours of free Dutch lessons to get you started and then you'll need to get to a high enough standard before your fourth year of study. We will be looking at the highest level of Dutch - C2.

I hope this helps!
TheGreatPumpkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,
I would like to study biochemistry or bio-medicine in the Netherlands, possibly at the University of Groningen, I know I need A-levels in biology and chemistry, and at least an AS-level in maths, are the entry requirements the same as most UK universities (B/A grades)? Also I know some courses require entrance exams like the CCVW, is biochemistry one of these courses?
Thank you in advance
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
Hello,
I would like to study biochemistry or bio-medicine in the Netherlands, possibly at the University of Groningen, I know I need A-levels in biology and chemistry, and at least an AS-level in maths, are the entry requirements the same as most UK universities (B/A grades)? Also I know some courses require entrance exams like the CCVW, is biochemistry one of these courses?
Thank you in advance
Morning

We don't specify any grades for our science subjects however we do advise students that we need a minimum A-Level grade CCC to be able to cope with the demand of the programme.

We do not have a Biochemistry degree however we do have Chemistry and Medicine with a range of postgraduate degrees in related fields. Of course if you are interested in different disciplines you could always go down the route of Liberal Arts and Sciences who require an average grade B at A-Level.

If I can help with anything else please let me know.
Moonlight93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Groningen,

I am in the process of applying for your medical course. I have a Certificate of Higher Education in Biology and Chemistry it's a Level 4 so higher than A-Levels (Level3), equivalent to first year of a bachelors degree. Its a 120 credit course I have B in both subjects. The following information describes the dutch equivalence of my certificate and is obtained from Nuffic !
Higher National Certificate Dutch comparison: 2 years HBO (NLQF 5 / EQF 5).
Duration of schooling: 2 years (part time).
Type of education: higher professional education.
Purpose of diploma: grants access to professions on the labour market and to university bachelors.

I have covered in depth in biology the following topics which will also be covered in the first year of medicine at your University; homeostasis, adaption, circulation, digestion. I also have done Personal Progress Development Planning and research skills. I will provide all topics studies in both chemistry and biology in this course in depth and attach it to my application.

I have studied Havo/VWO first year in Utrecht, we had moved to London after I completed my first year so I am fluent in Dutch as it its my native language.
My question is I have GCSE Maths and Physics and I haven't taken it further will the current qualifications I have be sufficient or do I need to do ALevels which is a level 3 when I have a level 4?!
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moonlight93)
Hello Groningen,

I am in the process of applying for your medical course. I have a Certificate of Higher Education in Biology and Chemistry it's a Level 4 so higher than A-Levels (Level3), equivalent to first year of a bachelors degree. Its a 120 credit course I have B in both subjects. The following information describes the dutch equivalence of my certificate and is obtained from Nuffic !
Higher National Certificate Dutch comparison: 2 years HBO (NLQF 5 / EQF 5).
Duration of schooling: 2 years (part time).
Type of education: higher professional education.
Purpose of diploma: grants access to professions on the labour market and to university bachelors.

I have covered in depth in biology the following topics which will also be covered in the first year of medicine at your University; homeostasis, adaption, circulation, digestion. I also have done Personal Progress Development Planning and research skills. I will provide all topics studies in both chemistry and biology in this course in depth and attach it to my application.

I have studied Havo/VWO first year in Utrecht, we had moved to London after I completed my first year so I am fluent in Dutch as it its my native language.
My question is I have GCSE Maths and Physics and I haven't taken it further will the current qualifications I have be sufficient or do I need to do ALevels which is a level 3 when I have a level 4?!
Hello

Thanks for your question - as you are in the process of applying it would be advised to speak to your admissions officer about these specific details. I would recommend emailing [email protected] - if you do have deficiencies then we will provide you with advice on how to attain the minimum requirements to go through the selection process.

Good luck!
Clutched
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Groningen
I will be applying to your university soon.
I am interested in your applied math followed by two other alternative; applied physics, and Artificial Intelligence.
I will most likely end up with 3 A-Level, Math , Physics, Chem with a grade of ACC and Further math AS with grade of B/A.
How likely will i be accepted into the university?
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Clutched)
Hello Groningen
I will be applying to your university soon.
I am interested in your applied math followed by two other alternative; applied physics, and Artificial Intelligence.
I will most likely end up with 3 A-Level, Math , Physics, Chem with a grade of ACC and Further math AS with grade of B/A.
How likely will i be accepted into the university?
It sounds very likely that you will be offered a place studying those subjects and attaining those grades! You are studying the right subjects to be eligible for entry - we require 3 A-Levels.
Camillaingunn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,I am interested in your maths bachelor degree programme. I'm doing Maths, English and Physics A level. Is it preferable to have Further maths as well to be eligible for the degree or are my options alright?Thanks
Margaritamudde
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by University of Groningen)
It sounds very likely that you will be offered a place studying those subjects and attaining those grades! You are studying the right subjects to be eligible for entry - we require 3 A-Levels.

Hello, I want to apply to Groningen University, I have Biology at the maximum level and I have done my education in English, for the mathematics requirement for psychology what exactly is the requirement if I want to study psychology? I have a 5/10 at the moment, is this a problem?
BLOSSOM2010
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I've got a place to study medicine next year at Groningen. My offer letter states that they require a pass in Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-level. What grades should I be aiming for?
sotirists
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Groningen! I’ve applied to study medicine and was invited to the selection procedure. I have some questions regarding the tests. Is there a negative marking for incorrect answers? Regarding the cognitive test 1, in what should we focus on? Is there any way that we can prepare for the incognitive test 1?
Melody1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello. Does anyone know How many students will take part in the exams this year for medicine ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (73)
27.44%
No (193)
72.56%

Watched Threads