The Student Room Group

UCAS Apply 2016 FAQ ***Look in HERE first***

Volunteer Note: Hey there, thanks for clicking on :tsr: This thread is pretty old now. If you have a question, click here or want to read more up-to-date advice, please click here.

This FAQ covers the most commonly asked questions about making a UCAS application. There are loads of resources on TSR to help you, so do make use of them!

Deadlines
15 October: Oxbridge/Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine
15 January: everything else (except some art & design courses), for guaranteed equal consideration
24 March: specific art & design courses - check UCAS and uni websites for details of which courses this deadline applies to
30 June: for immediate consideration by unis where there are vacancies

All deadlines are 17.59 on the date in question - but it's generally a good idea not to leave it that late :smile:

Note: All parts of your application (including any supplementary materials required - which are sent direct to the university concerned) must be completed by the deadline. If you are applying independently, this means that your referee needs to have provided your reference before you can submit your application. It is not a good idea to leave it until the last week to ask them for it.

International Applicants: should note that the 15 October and 30 June deadlines are the same, and that once the 15 January deadline has passed there are no guarantees that a uni will consider your application. If you are planning to apply later than 15 January, check uni websites and with the Admissions Departments concerned to make sure that your application will still be considered.

Other Important Dates
UCAS Key Dates 2016

Applying early: the pros and cons
Some advisers will tell you that applying early always gives you an advantage. It doesn’t, necessarily. There are risks attached to rushing your choices. If you are sure then there's no reason not to apply early, but if you are in doubt then it is better to take your time.

Applying early does not necessarily mean that you'll get all your decisions in quickly

If I apply before 15 October, will unis think I've applied to Oxford or Cambridge and reject me because of it?

What does 'equal consideration really mean? Surely if I apply later all the offers will have been made and I'll miss out?

Choosing unis and courses
By and large, the best advice is to go for what really interests you and you are good at. Avoid applying for a course just because you think it will guarantee you a high earning power in due course. If you fail it or end up dropping out because you hate it, all you will have is dented confidence and debt issues. Equally, don’t dismiss a minority interest course at a lower profile uni out of hand if this is what you really want to do, go for it. Remember that grade entry requirements are often an indicator of popularity/fashion rather than quality, so don’t assume that it’s a rubbish course because the entry requirements are ‘only’ BBC.

Why taking your time over making your choices is a good idea

Keeping your school/college happy

The importance of carefully checking entry requirements - and how to interpret grade ranges

Adding in Choices
The uni and course codes are clearly shown on the relevant UCAS pages: check that you have entered these correctly. Course codes especially can be very similar to one another. You can enter your choices in any order; the system may rearrange them alphabetically, but this doesn't make any difference. All your choices are considered equally and independently by the unis concerned.

Remember that you will only have seven days after you apply in which to change your mind about your choices, and you can only change each choice once.

Entering choices at different times

Other Technical Stuff

Registering with UCAS

Entering grades

Entering Module grades

Problems with entering Resits

Grade Predictions - why realistic predictions give you a better chance of getting in to a university you really want

Golden rules for your Personal Statement

Your reference - how it works

Correcting Mistakes
Remember that you signed an undertaking that the information you provided on the form was complete and accurate. Do not be tempted to tell lies, whether by 'forgetting' to put down that D grade GCSE or the AS result you didn't like, or by putting down a higher grade than you actually got. You will be found out eventually having wasted a lot of people’s time, including your own. You can even be stripped of your degree if it subsequently turns out that your application was fraudulent.

Mistakes on the Form (but it hasn't gone to UCAS yet)

Mistakes on the Form (and it's gone to UCAS already)

Once my application has gone in, how long does it take for my Welcome letter to arrive?
Usually within a few days if you are UK based. Once your application has been fully processed, you can usually get in to Track without having your letter to hand, using your UCAS ID number without spaces/hyphens and hitting the 'lost password' button if your existing password doesn't let you in.

Will I get Offers and When?
No-one can say. Sometimes people who on paper should get an offer don’t, and vice versa. However, you can reduce substantially the risk of ending up with more rejections than offers: How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections

How the system works

Understanding your Offer

Conditional

Unconditional

How will I know when a uni has made a decision?
Some unis acknowledge applications, others don't. Sometimes even between uni departments different acknowledgement arrangements apply. A lot of acknowledgements come by email, so check those spam folders regularly. (NB: this is not the time to have a 'joke' email address - set up a sensible one if you need to and check it at least once a day.)

Track updates - what happens

Other Issues

I changed a choice but they've now sent me an offer

Fee Status

Changes in Circumstances

Exam Certificates

Wiki Articles that might be of interest
UCAS Apply
Tracking and Replying to your Offers
Understanding Conditional Offers
UCAS Tariff
Late applications
Changing your Mind

And finally....
Even if you are one of the 'lucky' ones whose decisions are all in early, do not be tempted to rush into making your Firm and Insurance Choices. Everyone has at least until early May to make their mind up. The number of people we see on here in June regretting the offers they declined, sometimes because they didn't think they'd make the grades, should convince you that picking your firm and insurance months earlier than you need to is a bad idea. Seriously.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i cant entire the full title if the modules for psychology.
Original post by scrawlx101
i cant entire the full title if the modules for psychology.

So shorten the wording in a way that is still clear (eg Psychology > Psych.)
Original post by PQ
So shorten the wording in a way that is still clear (eg Psychology > Psych.)

Cognitive and Developmental Psych,Research Methods
Biological and Social Psych,Individual Differences

is that okay its meant to be

cogntive psychology,developmental psychology and research methods

biological psychology and social psychology and individual differences
Original post by scrawlx101
Cognitive and Developmental Psych,Research Methods
Biological and Social Psych,Individual Differences

is that okay its meant to be

cogntive psychology,developmental psychology and research methods

biological psychology and social psychology and individual differences

Clear enough.
I'm really confused...
Basically my predicted grades are A*AB, so what kind of university offer grades should I be looking for? I've already found my firm and insurance universities (assuming I get an offer from both) and I'm just looking for 3 others. If it helps my 'firm' is ABB and my 'insurance' is BBB.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
I'm really confused...
Basically my predicted grades are A*AB, so what kind of university offer grades should I be looking for? I've already found my firm and insurance universities (assuming I get an offer from both) and I'm just looking for 3 others. If it helps my 'firm' is ABB and my 'insurance' is BBB.

Thank you! :smile:

Anything up to AAB sounds reasonable. Some unis might also look for AAA and say they accept 'equivalent' grades (which A*AB would be), so they would be in reach too.

There's, obviously, no point for applying for courses with higher entry requirements by virtue of that alone, though, the only important thing is that you like their course more than the same course at other universities.

I hope I didn't misinterpret your question. :smile:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Anything up to AAB sounds reasonable. Some unis might also look for AAA and say they accept 'equivalent' grades (which A*AB would be), so they would be in reach too.

There's, obviously, no point for applying for courses with higher entry requirements by virtue of that alone, though, the only important thing is that you like their course more than the same course at other universities.

I hope I didn't misinterpret your question. :smile:

Kind of, I wasn't sure about the lowest grade boundary either :smile:

The ABB course is very unique - I haven't been able to find any others with that course code so far :smile:
Can someone advise how I change my UCAS application from school to independent please. I recently submitted my application (and paid the fee) only to be told by the school that because of my gap year it needs to submitted as an independent application. How do I change this, is it a call to UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by JazzyB1997
Can someone advise how I change my UCAS application from school to independent please. I recently submitted my application (and paid the fee) only to be told by the school that because of my gap year it needs to submitted as an independent application. How do I change this, is it a call to UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is your school providing your reference? In that case, it's usually easier for them if you apply through the school rather than independently. However, if they insist they want you to apply independently, then, yes, it is a call to UCAS.
Reply 10
Hi, I'm stuck on entering my LAMDA exams (gr 6,7,8).

I did them outside of school at my teachers house then went to a LAMDA centre to take the exams.
Where should I enter my results because I didn't undertake the exams at my previous school or sixth form?
Should I add a new institution and put in my teachers details?

Applying to medicine so really need to know ASAP! THANKS!! :smile:
Original post by k_xx1
Hi, I'm stuck on entering my LAMDA exams (gr 6,7,8).

I did them outside of school at my teachers house then went to a LAMDA centre to take the exams.
Where should I enter my results because I didn't undertake the exams at my previous school or sixth form?
Should I add a new institution and put in my teachers details?

Applying to medicine so really need to know ASAP! THANKS!! :smile:

Add the exam centre as part time for the months of the exams.
Original post by Minerva
Is your school providing your reference? In that case, it's usually easier for them if you apply through the school rather than independently. However, if they insist they want you to apply independently, then, yes, it is a call to UCAS.

Thanks. I thought it would be easier as well if I applied through school but the school are saying I have to apply to independently now because I have left and taken a gap year. They said they will still do the reference if applied independently.
Reply 13
Original post by JazzyB1997
Thanks. I thought it would be easier as well if I applied through school but the school are saying I have to apply to independently now because I have left and taken a gap year. They said they will still do the reference if applied independently.
Well, their call :dontknow:. UCAS should be able to help you sort this out.
Can i put ' JP Morgan' in my personal statement or would i have to put in ' a leading financial institution '
Original post by tazza ma razza
Can i put ' JP Morgan' in my personal statement or would i have to put in ' a leading financial institution '

You can put either. Although it's JPMorgan Chase or J.P.Morgan IIRR.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey! I'm resitting 2 AS Chemistry modules to try and get it from a B to an A but I'm not sure how to indicate this on UCAS? I'm also resitting an AS Biology module but I got an A overall so would I still put it in if the overall grade won't change?
I'm in Year 13 currently, so I'm not resitting the year :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by kdizzle97
Hey! I'm resitting 2 AS Chemistry modules to try and get it from a B to an A but I'm not sure how to indicate this on UCAS? I'm also resitting an AS Biology module but I got an A overall so would I still put it in if the overall grade won't change?
I'm in Year 13 currently, so I'm not resitting the year :smile:
See the OP.
Hi,I have 2 BTEC Level 2 Certificates in IT (QCF) (at distinction and disctintion*)
Which one the options of qualification would these come under?

There are so many options I don't know which it comes with!! Pleae help! Thank youuu :smile:))BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)BTEC Diploma (QCF)BTEC Extended CertificateBTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)BTEC First DiplomaBTEC Introductory CertificateBTEC Subsidiary Certificate (QCF)BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
Reply 19
Hey can someone please help me ! I'm stuck between deciding wether to apply for osteopathy or physiotherapy
1. If I apply early for one of them i.e osteopathy will I get a response sooner than the 15th January so if they were to not accept me I could apply for physiotherapy before the deadline?

Might be a really silly question but I don't have much idea on how it works!

Latest