Meaning of 'assumptions' specifically in Psychology?

Watch
thinker13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!
In more detail, what does it mean by assumptions in this question: What are the assumptions of the behavourist approach? for example.

Thank you
heidiburness
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The assumptions of a psychological approach refers to the main ways in which they explain behaviour.
For example, an assumption of the biological approach is that the behaviour is down to three main things; genes, biochemistry and biological structures.
thinker13
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply!
(Original post by heidiburness)
The assumptions of a psychological approach refers to the main ways in which they explain behaviour.
For example, an assumption of the biological approach is that the behaviour is down to three main things; genes, biochemistry and biological structures.
beyknowles2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thinker13)
Thank you for your reply!
Very good explanation above. So when attempting to explain behaviour from a behaviourist approach, it is assumed that we are all born a blank slate (often referred to as 'tabula rasa' - Latin for blank slate) for our experiences to write on as in we learn behaviour from our experiences, and that only behaviour that can be observed is important.

A behaviourist may also assume that 'nurture' is much more important than 'nature'.
thinker13
Rep:
?
(Original post by beyknowles2)
Very good explanation above. So when attempting to explain behaviour from a behaviourist approach, it is assumed that we are all born a blank slate (often referred to as 'tabula rasa' - Latin for blank slate) for our experiences to write on as in we learn behaviour from our experiences, and that only behaviour that can be observed is important.

A behaviourist may also assume that 'nurture' is much more important than 'nature'.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (67)
19.48%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (74)
21.51%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (63)
18.31%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (71)
20.64%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
9.88%
I haven't started researching yet (35)
10.17%

Watched Threads