Meaning of 'assumptions' specifically in Psychology? Watch

thinker13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!
In more detail, what does it mean by assumptions in this question: What are the assumptions of the behavourist approach? for example.

Thank you
heidiburness
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The assumptions of a psychological approach refers to the main ways in which they explain behaviour.
For example, an assumption of the biological approach is that the behaviour is down to three main things; genes, biochemistry and biological structures.
thinker13
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply!
(Original post by heidiburness)
The assumptions of a psychological approach refers to the main ways in which they explain behaviour.
For example, an assumption of the biological approach is that the behaviour is down to three main things; genes, biochemistry and biological structures.
beyknowles2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thinker13)
Thank you for your reply!
Very good explanation above. So when attempting to explain behaviour from a behaviourist approach, it is assumed that we are all born a blank slate (often referred to as 'tabula rasa' - Latin for blank slate) for our experiences to write on as in we learn behaviour from our experiences, and that only behaviour that can be observed is important.

A behaviourist may also assume that 'nurture' is much more important than 'nature'.
thinker13
Rep:
?
(Original post by beyknowles2)
Very good explanation above. So when attempting to explain behaviour from a behaviourist approach, it is assumed that we are all born a blank slate (often referred to as 'tabula rasa' - Latin for blank slate) for our experiences to write on as in we learn behaviour from our experiences, and that only behaviour that can be observed is important.

A behaviourist may also assume that 'nurture' is much more important than 'nature'.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads