AS Geography student 15 mark questions help...

Watch this thread
khalil_jiwa
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I've just began Geography at AS Level, I'm doing River and floods, population, coasts and energy issues.
I've just come across a 15 mark question:
'Physical factors are more important than Human factors in affecting a river's discharge.'

I'm not sure how many paragraphs I'm expected to write for this...?
Help would be very much appreciated!
geochic
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Start by outlining what discharge is as that will keep you focused on what the question asks you to deal with. Discharge is the core of the question, so that will be an introductory few lines and perhaps mention how the discharge of a river could change over the course of a year between summer and winter.
Then I would take a second paragraph to discuss all the physical factors that affect discharge- relief, geology etc. But start by letting the marker know that you are addressing the physical factors as too many people just jump straight in without thinking and then get lost. So deal with all the physical first.
Then take a third paragraph again stating that human factors affect discharge and then go on to discuss these factors such as urbanisation etc.
The question states that you have to discuss "physical factors are more important" so you do need to have a paragraph to address that point- you are weighing up which you feel is more important and just because it states "physical are more important" it doesn't mean you have to agree. If you think otherwise then you need to state so- and state why you feel human factors are more important. link it into facts or figures that you might know relating to discharge or flooding.
So in short- 4 paragraphs!!
bluev0dca
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
intro:
define physical and human factors
define river discharge
brief background info on factors affecting river discharge
state your stand, weighing criteria + points you will be discussing about

body para:
2 points abt physical, 2 abt human, remember to link every paragraph to your stand using your weighing criteria!
(something like: while all are impt in influencing the river discharge, x is still *blah blah* because *links in weighing criteria*)

conclusion:
restate your stand and summarise your argument -> make use of weighing criteria once again to justify why physical is more important

hope this is clear!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (115)
41.22%
They're exactly what I expected (66)