troytrenko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need to create an English language report for tomorrow about how the media has changed the language recently. This includes all forms of media like online gaming, news, the internet. I'm particularly having problems finding anything out about online gaming and news channels and such.
If anyone happens to know anything about the subject it would really help, thanks.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How about starting off with the corruption and reduction of the word "media". The plural of "medium", it actually means little on its own (what is the thing a medium for: a medium for communicating, a medium for displaying artistry in paint, a medium for holding pigment in suspension, a medium for communicating with the supposed spirit world, a medium for preserving plants or animals?)

The media (in the sense you are using it) exclude anything that uses the word in any other sense than a news, communications or entertainment medium, so "media" has taken on a new media-specific meaning. It isn't even used in the singular any more.
Pix2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I remember doing this in gcse. We had to use the example of phones. Such as people use LOL and OMG and miss spell to shorten words such as tho instead of though and wot for what.

Type multi modal talk into Google (think that's what you call it) see if this helps. Sorry I can't be more useful, English is not my strong point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads