The Student Room Group

Dropping out this early?

I am currently studying in London and I hate it. I love the course I'm doing but I really dislike the city, I am commuting too which makes it worse.
I have realised that I would much rather be on a campus university in a quieter town.
I have lived in London my whole life, so I knew in a way what it would be like, but I would only visit at weekends, which is comparably different.
I find it hard to meet people because those that I do always go back to there halls (accommodation sites) across London, they don't stay in the city always, and I can't go because I will miss the last train home if I do.

Do you think I should take a gap year and reapply?

Scroll to see replies

I think you should do whatever you feel is best- as you'll be the one to live with whatever decision you make. I'm thinking about dropping out and applying for a London uni before I even start (I know!), and I feel like I'm going to uni anyway just because that's what everyone expects me to do, and there'd be a bit of a scandal if I didn't- I've already had a gap year.

What uni do you go to? Is there a way of moving into a shared house in London?

I really think- REALLY- that you should do whatever your gut is telling you, whether that's dropping out or staying for a bit longer, because people can give you all the advice they like, but they don't have to live with whatever consequences your decision will have. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Usernamer555
I think you should do whatever you feel is best- as you'll be the one to live with whatever decision you make. I'm thinking about dropping out and applying for a London uni before I even start (I know!), and I feel like I'm going to uni anyway just because that's what everyone expects me to do, and there'd be a bit of a scandal if I didn't- I've already had a gap year.

What uni do you go to? Is there a way of moving into a shared house in London?

I really think- REALLY- that you should do whatever your gut is telling you, whether that's dropping out or staying for a bit longer, because people can give you all the advice they like, but they don't have to live with whatever consequences your decision will have. Good luck :smile:

I go to Kings College, the University itself is good, I just don't like the city lifestyle (as a student) and I can't really afford to live in London either, so I have an hour commute everyday.
I really feel like I should drop out and reapply to ECC(exeter) but I didn't achieve the grades they are asking for, they asked for ABB, I got ABC, all of which are a few marks of the next grade which is really annoying, so I don't know whether or not they'll accept me :frown:

Thank you, I just don't know how to break it to my parents, they are saying just stick with it :frown:
I'd say the same thing I'd say to everyone, give it some more time at least before deciding to give it all up
Original post by lizmoo0721
I am currently studying in London and I hate it. I love the course I'm doing but I really dislike the city, I am commuting too which makes it worse.
I have realised that I would much rather be on a campus university in a quieter town.
I have lived in London my whole life, so I knew in a way what it would be like, but I would only visit at weekends, which is comparably different.
I find it hard to meet people because those that I do always go back to there halls (accommodation sites) across London, they don't stay in the city always, and I can't go because I will miss the last train home if I do.

yeah if your not happy where you are don't stay and whatever you do do not commute and you'll find life much more fun.
You are young right now. So the one thing you have on your side is time. So yeah, if that what you feel is best and will make you happier do it. As a uni student, I believe that your happiness will affect how well you also do academical, so be happy. Plus taking a gap year and being somewhere you want is better than regretting it. Also I think living away from home will be beneficial for you as an experience to learn to become more independent and responsible for yourself.

It's probably better to drop out earlier too before you pay for your first term (you may get away with not paying for it). Maybe if you are lucky and the uni you wanna go to hasn't started they could let you transfer for this academic year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Why no contact the admissions department at Exeter and ask their advice before you take you final decision?
Reply 7
Original post by FatherTime
You are young right now. So the one thing you have on your side is time. So yeah, if that what you feel is best and will make you happier do it. As a uni student, I believe that your happiness will affect how well you also do academical, so be happy. Plus taking a gap year and being somewhere you want is better than regretting it. Also I think living away from home will be beneficial for you as an experience to learn to become more independent and responsible for yourself.

It's probably better to drop out earlier too before you pay for your first term (you may get away with not paying for it). Maybe if you are lucky and the uni you wanna go to hasn't started they could let you transfer for this academic year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you guys seem to understand, not like my parents. I feel like I chose the uni i am at for the reputation, not the student life. Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by umbala
Why no contact the admissions department at Exeter and ask their advice before you take you final decision?

Thank you, I think I will do :smile:
You literally sound like me 4 years ago. I went to KCL and I also had to commute to (because KCL was my insurance hence I missed out on halls).

I can tell you that if you decide to stick with it, it does get easier in terms of making friends, commuting and going out. That said, if after a few weeks you don't like this arrangement you have a few options:

- Look into moving into halls within London budget permitting. That said, it could be quite late as everyone may have made their group of friends already
- Look at moving into halls next year. But that would mean sticking with this for a year
- Drop out and reapply. I would honestly do this option if your happiness is also starting to affect you academic performance drastically. You won't be judged and taking a gap year will allow you to gain more work experience, make some money, grow in maturity and then really think what you want to do.

If you do want to ask more about KCL, I'm here to answer questions :smile: However, at the end of the day do what makes you happy and will allow you to strive the best academically :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
You literally sound like me 4 years ago. I went to KCL and I also had to commute to (because KCL was my insurance hence I missed out on halls).

I can tell you that if you decide to stick with it, it does get easier in terms of making friends, commuting and going out. That said, if after a few weeks you don't like this arrangement you have a few options:

- Look into moving into halls within London budget permitting. That said, it could be quite late as everyone may have made their group of friends already
- Look at moving into halls next year. But that would mean sticking with this for a year
- Drop out and reapply. I would honestly do this option if your happiness is also starting to affect you academic performance drastically. You won't be judged and taking a gap year will allow you to gain more work experience, make some money, grow in maturity and then really think what you want to do.

If you do want to ask more about KCL, I'm here to answer questions :smile: However, at the end of the day do what makes you happy and will allow you to strive the best academically :smile:

Hiya, thanks for the reply. I'm just really disliking the city, I find it way too much, I'd much rather prefer a smaller campus with a more community feel, in my opinion Kings doesn't have this.
Thank you, I am loving the course I am on, I just don't like the city.
Thank you, you guys seem to understand, not like my parents. I feel like I chose the uni i am at for the reputation, not the student life. Thanks!

Ahaha parents. I think this time you will have to decide this for yourself even if it means going against what they're telling you.
I feel that if you maturely put out your reason for wanting to drop out , for example, independence, happiness (which has a big impact on grades) and choose a uni that's as good. Even though they may disagree, they will see that you've at least thought it out.
They are maybe worried that it's an impulse. Maybe they think you haven't thought it through and that you somehow you be worse off not at KCL. So you wanna reassure them a little in that respect. They may not agree after this still, but I think they will at least understand.

I knew a lot of people in the first year, some close friends, who weren't happy with their course or university. Most of them ended up not doing well, dropped out at the end of the year (waste of money&time) and a couple got depressed just cos they felt like they were going nowhere (not that you will get depressed). Just trying to make a point.
Hiya, thanks for the reply. I'm just really disliking the city, I find it way too much, I'd much rather prefer a smaller campus with a more community feel, in my opinion Kings doesn't have this.
Thank you, I am loving the course I am on, I just don't like the city.

I can say that you're not the only one who I know who's said this. London can be really overwhelming and when I looked at postgraduate degrees it's the reason why I sort of avoided London (bar my Imperial application).

If you are looking at other places, have you considered places like Leeds/Nottingham that have a bit of both?
Original post by FatherTime
Ahaha parents. I think this time you will have to decide this for yourself even if it means going against what they're telling you.
I feel that if you maturely put out your reason for wanting to drop out , for example, independence, happiness (which has a big impact on grades) and choose a uni that's as good. Even though they may disagree, they will see that you've at least thought it out.
They are maybe worried that it's an impulse. Maybe they think you haven't thought it through and that you somehow you be worse off not at KCL. So you wanna reassure them a little in that respect. They may not agree after this still, but I think they will at least understand.

I knew a lot of people in the first year, some close friends, who weren't happy with their course or university. Most of them ended up not doing well, dropped out at the end of the year (waste of money&time) and a couple got depressed just cos they felt like they were going nowhere (not that you will get depressed). Just trying to make a point.

Thank you for replying. My dad is against a gap year, saying I should just put up with it, it's only 3 years. But I thought uni is meant to be the best 3 years of your life? Haha, this decision might be an impulse, I don't know, but I would be much happier at a smaller university, in my opinion. I don't feel depressed, I just don't see the point of studying somewhere where I am unhappy. I'm paying for my education, I'd rather pay for a time that I will enjoy. :frown:
Original post by Slowbro93
I can say that you're not the only one who I know who's said this. London can be really overwhelming and when I looked at postgraduate degrees it's the reason why I sort of avoided London (bar my Imperial application).

If you are looking at other places, have you considered places like Leeds/Nottingham that have a bit of both?

You understand! I have lived on the outskirts of London my entire life, which has been fine, but there is such a massive difference. I hate it. It is really overwhelming, always rushed and difficult to get to know people because everyone is off to their own accommodation which is scattered miles away from each other.
I am considering smaller universities like Exeter in Cornwall which I like the look of a lot, and maybe St Mary's Twickenham or Hertfordshire. I'm just looking for a smaller uni with a campus, Kings is too big, busy and overwhelming for me. :frown:
Original post by yelllowribbon
I'd say the same thing I'd say to everyone, give it some more time at least before deciding to give it all up

I agree, I will give it to the end of this week, I was going to join some societies and sports teams to see if it makes a difference.
You understand! I have lived on the outskirts of London my entire life, which has been fine, but there is such a massive difference. I hate it. It is really overwhelming, always rushed and difficult to get to know people because everyone is off to their own accommodation which is scattered miles away from each other.
I am considering smaller universities like Exeter in Cornwall which I like the look of a lot, and maybe St Mary's Twickenham or Hertfordshire. I'm just looking for a smaller uni with a campus, Kings is too big, busy and overwhelming for me. :frown:

Have you phoned Exeter? You've got nothing to lose :-)
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Have you phoned Exeter? You've got nothing to lose :-)

I've just emailed them, explaining my situation. Hopefully I will hear from them soon. :smile:

Thank you everyone! My parents have been really unsupportive, you guys have actually helped me a lot! x
I've just emailed them, explaining my situation. Hopefully I will hear from them soon. :smile:

Thank you everyone! My parents have been really unsupportive, you guys have actually helped me a lot! x

You're better off phoning if you want a prompt answer, this is a busy time of the year for most unis, so it could be sometime.

Stick out the first semester, see if you feel happy. You could end up making friends you like.

If not drop out, and apply again. You can use your old personal statement. Apply while you are still at uni,

Quick Reply

Latest