Cultural Appropriation

Watch
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Please forgive my ignorance, but is there any more to cultural appropriation beyond 'no you can't have freedom of expression because my culture did that first'? I am genuinely baffled by the concept.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is a made up term for those who feel that they "own" a certain culture.

Which is a ridiculous concept because nobody owns culture.
PurpleSquid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
basically
when (typically white people) utilise part of a culture (e.g. dreadlocks, bindis, om symbols, arabic writing, mendhi) as a fashion accessory (i.e. just for aesthetics) and get credited positively for it (as in people are like wow so cool!!) but when people directly from those cultures do the same they get teased/bullied and worse for openly displaying those parts of their culture

edit: also i wanted to say that there have been a ton of threads about this, so a quick google would probably have answered your question anyway
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PurpleSquid)
basically
when (typically white people) utilise part of a culture (e.g. dreadlocks,
Which culture owns dreadlocks?
pmprin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Google is your friend.
Yes, cultural appropriation is real.
PurpleSquid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Which culture owns dreadlocks?
it's not about assigning cultures to specific items
it's about people getting credit for using things when people from other cultures also use those things but don't get nowhere as near the same kind of credit

like if an indian girl was wearing an indian outfit on a non-uniform day at school and her peers mocked her for it, but if then later those same peers were all wearing bindis and mendhi and taking pictures on their instagram wouldn't you be a bit like ???
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's about people getting credit for using things when people from other cultures also use those things but don't get nowhere as near the same kind of credit

like if an indian girl was wearing an indian outfit on a non-uniform day at school and her peers mocked her for it, but if then later those same peers were all wearing bindis and mendhi and taking pictures on their instagram wouldn't you be a bit like ???
So essentially the root cause is jealousy, because they didn't get the credit for something they actually had no part in creating but want to take credit for it?
PurpleSquid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i really think you're missing the point here so i suggest you read into it further yourself (with a critical mind, of course, as often the posts that come up on google are written very informally/casually so there can be instances when you're like 'wait what?' but yeah i guess that's inevitable with grey area issues)

but ok, yeah let's go with the word jealousy
and let's use that word in another context to see if it fits:

two men commit the same offence but one man gets the death penalty and the other guy gets a round of applause
the man who is about to get executed wants to appeal but it's overruled because he is just jealous
and imagine this happens thousands of times with thousands of men in the same situation and the only difference between the two men each time is their skin colour

look, i don't expect you to 'get it' right away if you have never experienced it but just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people
just read about it yourself lol, i'm kinda tired anyway
if you want to pursue me on something then pm me lol but it's not my specific duty to try to explain this to you when you can freely educate yourself if you so wish
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Oh I see. So because some white people somewhere, at some point of some time, maybe, possibly, might have been ***** to some Indian people over their cultural practices, all white people are barred from utilising any elements of Indian culture or forever be branded guilty of the henious sin of "cultural appropriation"?
PurpleSquid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Greenlaner)
Oh I see. So because some white people somewhere, at some point of some time, maybe, possibly, might have been ***** to some Indian people over their cultural practices, all white people are barred from utilising any elements of Indian culture or forever be branded guilty of the henious sin of "cultural appropriation"?
i was meant to address this after i wrote that but thought it was pretty obvious

of course white people can wear what they want
i think cultural awareness from a young age is the key here
tell kids about the presence of all sorts of cool cultures when they're young so that when they see them irl they're not ***** about it
that way there won't be any hard feelings when they're older

it's a grey area, sorry if that wasn't clear
but it's still a thing
i'm not saying the world should go crazy about it, but it's a term to explain the discomfort that some people experience

i mean let's be real here
pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a white person wearing a fashion turban is to get an eye roll from some other indian, big deal
but for a sikh man to be seen wearing a turban after 9/11 he can get killed ?

edit: also i want to reiterate that i'm stopping here, but pm if you want and i'll reply when i can be bothered
the only reason i replied again here is because i don't want people reading these thread to see open questions and think i didn't answer because i was talking rubbish and don't have a response
plus, you quoted the post before i said i was stopping so i thought it was fair to just reply and be done with it
Implication
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
basically
when (typically white people) utilise part of a culture (e.g. dreadlocks, bindis, om symbols, arabic writing, mendhi) as a fashion accessory (i.e. just for aesthetics) and get credited positively for it (as in people are like wow so cool!!) but when people directly from those cultures do the same they get teased/bullied and worse for openly displaying those parts of their culture

edit: also i wanted to say that there have been a ton of threads about this, so a quick google would probably have answered your question anyway
Well, obviously teasing and bullying is bad. However, as another poster has said, I don't think it is reasonable to imply that things like dreadlocks, bindis etc. 'belong' to any culture. They may well have originated in certain places or cultures, but that doesn't give people from those places/cultures exclusive rights over them. People should be free to wear (for example) whatever they wish and others should be free to like or dislike what others wear. Of course no one should be teased or bullied about this, but then no one should be teased or bullied about anything!

I did actually do a not-that-quick google search, and what you are saying didn't seem to come up at all. The descriptions I came across were precisely what you are saying cultural appropriation isn't i.e. people from one culture using things that supposedly 'belong' to other cultures.

Incidentally, I'm sorry if this is a done-to-death thread. I didn't remember ever seeing a thread about cultural appropriation before and I did scroll down quite a way to check right before posting this.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i really think you're missing the point here so i suggest you read into it further yourself (with a critical mind, of course, as often the posts that come up on google are written very informally/casually so there can be instances when you're like 'wait what?' but yeah i guess that's inevitable with grey area issues)

but ok, yeah let's go with the word jealousy
and let's use that word in another context to see if it fits:

two men commit the same offence but one man gets the death penalty and the other guy gets a round of applause
the man who is about to get executed wants to appeal but it's overruled because he is just jealous
and imagine this happens thousands of times with thousands of men in the same situation and the only difference between the two men each time is their skin colour

look, i don't expect you to 'get it' right away if you have never experienced it but just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people
just read about it yourself lol, i'm kinda tired anyway
if you want to pursue me on something then pm me lol but it's not my specific duty to try to explain this to you when you can freely educate yourself if you so wish
I have read into it plenty I still still think that it is a ridiculous concept. Even the very word appropriation is used wrongly. Given that to appropriate something essentially means to steal, however culture in not finite. It is used and adapted by to suit the person's needs whether it be fashion or spiritual. The person's culture is still present and the user's new culture is then created.
Aj12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To my mind the whole concept misunderstands the nature of culture .You'll have about as much luck guarding a culture as the French have guarding their language
#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone who seriously defends cultural appropriation as a valid criticism isn't even worth debating. It's neo-Marxist paranoia at its absolute worst.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
basically
So when someone of a particular race uses a part of a culture stereotypically assigned to another race (as a fashion accessory), if someone from the same race as the utilizer has previously teased someone of the assigned race, it is cultural appropriation and therefore bad?

For example, the latin Alphabet was invented by white people, people have made fun of phrases in english been used as tattoos. Therefore if anyone that isn't white uses any latin alphabetical symbol as a fashion accessory, it is cultural appropriation?

Let me know if I have misunderstood something?
Sweet n Sour
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's cultural diffusion.

And cultural appropriation.

Cultural diffusion is the sharing of cultures, the embracing of a different culture, the spreading of a culture through education of a culture, and it can represent those people in a better light, both the natives of the culture and the visitors. It is emulation.

Cultural appropriation is the exploitation of a culture, the mocking of a culture, the parody of a culture. It is infiltration.

I think each person today in the class can think of one example of both.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Such a bull**** idea, almost as bad as "microaggressions".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads