Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Salters Chemistry Exam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    any1 else do any of the papers today and can comment on how the paper went?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i did the longer one first, because none of the chemistry teachers turned up so it was upto other teachers to organise it.

1:30mins one - Not to bad, The atmosphere questions were a bit tricky (we didn't finish the topic) and some of the calculations sucked. Pointing out the mistakes in the diagram - I had no anti-bumping molecules, and that the water out was on the wrong side. Recon I may have.

1:15mins one - Not bad either, although I had no idea what the question on the emisson/absorption spectrum wanted me to write - another ambiguous question I think.

Overall, not to bad. But I'm ticked off that a lot of the complicated stuff - i.e conditions elctrophiles work at/test for primary alcohols ect didn't turn up.

Our classes were split between thinking the first one was hard, and thinking the second one was hard.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry of natural resources- I found it easier but was disappointed at the lack of questions on oxidation of primary and secondary alcohols and naming things. On the last question i put the water was the wrong way round and the collecting thing should be held with a clamp...didn't think of anti bumping granules but i've never really understood what they're for. Finished in less than an hour.

Chemistry for life- This was a bit random and a bit harder but still ok! Didn't like the one where you had to draw a diagram to explain the lines on emission spectrum. Took about the same time as the first one.

I can't remember which paper it was on - maybe the first one- but LOVED the goulash situation!!! had me chuckling away!

ReputationRep:
    Was the answer for the multiple choice question elimination reaction? :confused: I sort of made a guess there. And the test for an alkene is bromine water orange--> colourless.... i hope. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ramaya - I put elimination...no idea if it was right or not. I also had the same test for alkenes...but I had the colour change from brown to colourless [The colours of bromine that I've learnt from books/teachers range from: orange/brown/red/redish-brown/orange-brown/redish-orange :rolleyes: ] Hopefully they'll allow some variation :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Ramaya - I put elimination...no idea if it was right or not. I also had the same test for alkenes...but I had the colour change from brown to colourless [The colours of bromine that I've learnt from books/teachers range from: orange/brown/red/redish-brown/orange-brown/redish-orange :rolleyes: ] Hopefully they'll allow some variation :cool:
    Well thats reassuring! One of my friends put it as a hydrolysis reaction as that also loses water so now i'm totally confused + trying to look it up. And i think the marking scheme should (hopefully) be quite leniant when it comes to colours like orange and brown as theyre not to different, depending on how you see it, but i could be wrong. Trying to stay positive about it though

ReputationRep:
    i thought that they were both quite hard but i found the second one harder than the first had no idea about the distillation one and found myself ********ting alot...and the last question of unit 1 the one on the spectra was stupidly vague. thought unit 1 was VERY different from the past papers i had done and seen which threw me a bit. PRAYING that i get a B overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Well thats reassuring! One of my friends put it as a hydrolysis reaction as that also loses water so now i'm totally confused + trying to look it up.
    if it loses water its a condensation reaction not hydrolysis anyway ..... and i wouldn't worry bout it too much nothing u can do about it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeyguru)
    i thought that they were both quite hard but i found the second one harder than the first had no idea about the distillation one and found myself ********ting alot...and the last question of unit 1 the one on the spectra was stupidly vague. thought unit 1 was VERY different from the past papers i had done and seen which threw me a bit. PRAYING that i get a B overall
    Same here Mate!!!! PRAYING that i get a B!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i put condensation as a water molecule was lost. it is an elimation reaction but condensation is more precise. OMG THE EQULIBRIA QUESTION! it didnt even CROSS MY MIND to think about what happens to NaOH(s) when it enters the equlib - it will go into its ions therefore join the product side not the reactants ARRGGGHHH and i got the drawing NaCl the wrong way round - put the +ve on the big centre one, and WHAT ON EARTH - FIREWORKS IN the A section - RANDOM! and hellooo avagardro's was not in the revision guide!! ahh!! totally twisted exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    i put condensation as a water molecule was lost. it is an elimation reaction but condensation is more precise. OMG THE EQULIBRIA QUESTION! it didnt even CROSS MY MIND to think about what happens to NaOH(s) when it enters the equlib - it will go into its ions therefore join the product side not the reactants ARRGGGHHH and i got the drawing NaCl the wrong way round - put the +ve on the big centre one, and WHAT ON EARTH - FIREWORKS IN the A section - RANDOM! and hellooo avagardro's was not in the revision guide!! ahh!! totally twisted exam!
    Yeah i put the big atoms as +ve sodium. Oops. I said the equlibria would favour the left side of the equation. And i didn't like that firework question - how it helps ozone formation... i just made something up for that. Oh well i'm very very prepared that i'm going to have to retake it, but anyway - best of luck with the result - only another 2 months or so till we find out.

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt hard or easy, i found it alright. I revised loads on the oxidation of primary and secondary alcohols - where did that question get to? I was lucky and only had one exam, as i did the EL and DF in jan. I also put the Na in the middle as being +ve, i thought this was correct, why is everyone saying its wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Were the larger atoms meant to be labeled Na+? (it's what I labeled them as)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corectomondo)
    It wasnt hard or easy, i found it alright. I revised loads on the oxidation of primary and secondary alcohols - where did that question get to? I was lucky and only had one exam, as i did the EL and DF in jan. I also put the Na in the middle as being +ve, i thought this was correct, why is everyone saying its wrong?
    There was that one question on what kind of alcohol it was (which i put tertiary) but no oxidations of them. I'm also glad i had the one exam as i'd have to revise far too much for EL and DF too.
    CI says that the Na+ ion is the samller atom though, which i find quite annoying. Not anything that i can do about it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    CI says that the Na+ ion is the samller atom though, which i find quite annoying. Not anything that i can do about it though
    Damn! For some reason I always assume that the negatively charge atom will be the smaller one (very, very stupid, I know). Hopefully, they'll only deduct one mark....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Damn! For some reason I always assume that the negatively charge atom will be the smaller one (very, very stupid, I know). Hopefully, they'll only deduct one mark....
    And i also thought that the halogens were small atoms. They increase in size down the periodic table, and i assumed that as Cl is relativly high, it would be smaller. I think it should just be the one mark - easy mistake! I labelled them anions and cations. But thats the only labelling I did.

ReputationRep:
    Guys... about your debate. I put ELIMINATION and I am 99% certain that it was correct. I need an A for my chemistry AS and got one in the first module... elements of life in January. Hopefully a high B is on the cards for that exam. I had to guess some questions like the nucleophillic substitution... we were never told conditions for that... but I said 150 degrees C... Lol... It was a bit of a random paper... but the polymer questions were nice. Also, whoever said H-bonds are the strongest type of intermolecular force, you ARE right. So now be safe with those 2 or 3 marks for certain...

WTF is an anti-bump molecule? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Guys... about your debate. I put ELIMINATION and I am 99% certain that it was correct. I need an A for my chemistry AS and got one in the first module... elements of life in January. Hopefully a high B is on the cards for that exam. I had to guess some questions like the nucleophillic substitution... we were never told conditions for that... but I said 150 degrees C... Lol... It was a bit of a random paper... but the polymer questions were nice. Also, whoever said H-bonds are the strongest type of intermolecular force, you ARE right. So now be safe with those 2 or 3 marks for certain...

WTF is an anti-bump molecule? Lol
    Thankyou! I really thought i got a considerable amount of it incorrect, but hopefully those answers will be ok. Good luck with your result

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.