The Student Room Group

Is that risky for ABB apply for AAA?

I got my AS results with A(economics)B(music)B(maths)
(and also an extra A in my native language...for whole alvel..idk if its included )

My predicted grades are :
Economics:A/A*(not sure which one is)
Music:A
Maths:B

I'm thinking about Political Economy in KCL ...Its ask for AAA.

I don't know is there any chance for me to get the offer.And I'm worrying what if i missed my grades at the end?
Am i still have the chance?
Original post by Elainecc
(and also an extra A in my native language...for whole alvel..idk if its included )

I don't know is there any chance for me to get the offer.And I'm worrying what if i missed my grades at the end?

You apply for 5 choices via UCAS - there's no problem with 1 or 2 of those choices being higher than you're currently predicted (although if you get an AAA offer you should do what you can to meet it and if you expect to get lower than AAA make sure you have an insurance choice with lower grades that you'd be happy to go to and that offers a good guarantee of accommodation for insurance entrants)

No one can give you the reassurance you are seeking. KCL will have a very large number of applicants for one of its most popular courses and many of them will have the grades they are looking for already, including that A in maths. Put yourself in their position. Why would they choose you? (Most universities will exclude the native language A level btw.) It will do you no harm to have this as your high risk choice, other than wasting a space, but do make sure your others are in line with your achievements. As for what happens if you get the offer and don't make the grades, well, that depends on whether you chose a sensible and achievable insurance. If you didn't, you'll be in Clearing, where you may find something to your liking or you may not. Much better to target your applications sensibly from the outset.
Reply 3

KCL will include all A-Level subjects bar critical thinking and general studies. They will accept your native language A-Level on an equal basis. This means that you do meet the AAA offer (as far as predictions go at least), and so it is worth applying in my opinion.
Reply 4
Original post by *Stefan*
KCL will include all A-Level subjects bar critical thinking and general studies. They will accept your native language A-Level on an equal basis. This means that you do meet the AAA offer (as far as predictions go at least), and so it is worth applying in my opinion.

The problem is i don't know that it is worth to have two high-risky choices, cuz
york also asked for AAA.
Reply 5
The problem is i don't know that it is worth to have two high-risky choices, cuz
york also asked for AAA.

In my opinion, which people may disagree with, is that you should go with two higher-risk universities, two medium-risk universities and one safer university.

I would definitely apply to KCL If I were you - even more so if you are predicted an A* in either economics or your native language.
In my opinion, which people may disagree with, is that you should go with two higher-risk universities, two medium-risk universities and one safer university.

I would definitely apply to KCL If I were you - even more so if you are predicted an A* in either economics or your native language.

That's usually a good plan, or 1 top, two middle and two bottom, if you are cautious, but in this case I think that the OP being only predicted B in maths is going to be a problem for economics, which an A in music won't counterbalance.
Reply 7

Even though I asked the KCL Admission office about the native language grade, and they said they will accept it.
But are they really will accept it on equal basis?I'm really worried about it:frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That's usually a good plan, or 1 top, two middle and two bottom, if you are cautious, but in this case I think that the OP being only predicted B in maths is going to be a problem for economics, which an A in music won't counterbalance.

Yeah, that's fair as well. It depends on the person really, and I'd rather be a bit more risky in this case.

Political economy involves economics? I thought it was an entirely theoretical subject (akin to, say, history). If it does involve mathematical economics the B grade may indeed prove problematic, but I doubt it's too mathematically focused.

Even though I asked the KCL Admission office about the native language grade, and they said they will accept it.
But are they really will accept it on equal basis?I'm really worried about it:frown:

Well, you can't get anything more official that that, can you? If they said that they will, they definitely accept it. If they didn't accepted they would have simply told you so.

If they said they'll accept it, then they'll accept it. They wouldn't say they would if they won't.

I can understand the general stance of most universities on a first language A-level, though - it's largely seen as a free A-level because it's usually designed for people who're learning it as a second language and is therefore easier for people who can already speak the language. Don't worry though - if they say they'll accept it, they will.
Yeah, that's fair as well. It depends on the person really, and I'd rather be a bit more risky in this case.

Political economy involves economics? I thought it was an entirely theoretical subject (akin to, say, history). If it does involve mathematical economics the B grade may indeed prove problematic, but I doubt it's too mathematically focused.

Well, you can't get anything more official that that, can you? If they said that they will, they definitely accept it. If they didn't accepted they would have simply told you so.

There's a BA and a BSc option, so I guess it depends on which OP has gone for. Best bet is to call them and ask first, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending