The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Further Study for Dental Admission.

This is my first post guys!
I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Sociology all at A-level, I received 1 A*, 3 A's and 6 B's in my GCSE results and I wish to become an orthodontist in the future, I understand I must first receive my BDS through studying dentistry and although I am so early I really want to get some reading in ahead of me even applying for uni. I wish to go to King's College and I wanted to know if there are any students currently studying dentistry there that have books they wish they would have read or that other students or professors really raved about. I've tried doing a search and I can only find books for 2012 and such which I know would still have useful information but I would prefer these pieces to be more relevant to my future application, any reading even online would be so gratefully accepted yet I would prefer information on actual books. Thankyou!:tongue:
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year Dental Student at King's College London. When applying I read the MPW book titled 'Getting into Dental School' I think the 8th edition by Adam Cross is the most recent edition. I found it really helpful and don't think I would of got into dental school without it.

I also did some reading on some basic procedures & anatomy (http://www.3dmouth.org) because I thought it helped me understand things during work experience which I was then able to talk about at my interview.

In addition to that I would advise getting as much work experience as possible to really get a feel for the profession. Also although the bulk of your work experience will probably be at a general practice, try and get some in different environments. Try maybe get some with a (or just read about what they do) periodontist/ orthodontist/ Implant dentist/ hospital (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)/ Prosthodontics & Lab work... All the specialities aren't a must for your application (you only have to have about 2 weeks at a general practice) but I thought maybe you would like to do it just for yourself. It's really interesting just to watch and ultimately I guess the more you've seen the more you can talk about in your application/interview. Most importantly when doing work experience take a interest and actually ask the dentist some questions after the patient has left, and take a notepad to scribble down notes about everything you've seen and heard.

I hope that helps :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Thankyou so much for your recommendation, it was really helpful, I'm just about to look into getting that book! I'm in the process of asking for experience but I didn't realise it would be this difficult to get my hands on! Thankyou for all your help though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest