The Student Room Group

Universities giving offers to people that don't meet entry requirements?

Recently I've been visiting loads of universities and sitting in on talks in my sixth form about applying to university. Most people I've spoken to (including one of the lecturers at York) have said that universities will often give you an offer even if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements?
Obviously if you're predicted CCC and you're applying for an AAA course they won't give you an offer, but for example an ABC student applying for an ABB course may get an offer.
I was wondering if this is true? Someone I spoke to today said that because universities now get more money for more students, it makes sense to an extent. Do any of you have experiences getting offers with grades below what they were asking for?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Yes I would agree with you there.
Depends on how popular the course is, they want places filled. Its simple supply/demand, but of course they wont allow students they do not think are capable (and will fail).
Reply 3
Although I was predicted AAA for Durham University and they gave me an offer for an AAB course, I actually received the grades ABC and still managed to get in :smile:
Reply 4
Up to a point, for competitive courses at competitive unis you won't. I was predicted AAA and didn't get an offer for economics at Durham
Reply 5
Original post by LuckySmall
Recently I've been visiting loads of universities and sitting in on talks in my sixth form about applying to university. Most people I've spoken to (including one of the lecturers at York) have said that universities will often give you an offer even if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements?
Obviously if you're predicted CCC and you're applying for an AAA course they won't give you an offer, but for example an ABC student applying for an ABB course may get an offer.
I was wondering if this is true? Someone I spoke to today said that because universities now get more money for more students, it makes sense to an extent. Do any of you have experiences getting offers with grades below what they were asking for?
Thanks!

at my uni for law the offer is AAA. However a lot of students have said to be that they have got in for ABB.
I think it's fair tbh that they allow students to go in with lower grades, it allows them to extend their options, everyone probably gets an offer that'll be difficult to meet but still get in
Original post by freedom
at my uni for law the offer is AAA. However a lot of students have said to be that they have got in for ABB.

Which university do you go to?
Yeah I think this is true.
When I went to bath and uea open days they said they give offers to people predicted BBB even though the requirements for the course I want to do is AAB, I think it gives people something to work to

Quick Reply

Latest