How can I revise?[probably the most common question asked]

Watch
Magical
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've looked through ranges of websites on how to revise but nothing seems to work. I have the past papers, the answers, the revision guides[ and I mean numerous of them from different companies over the same thing], and I'm trying my best but from them small tests,I just keep failing.
Obviously, my parents are spending a heck load of money on me like tuition for instance but nothings paying off and I'm unsure why, I feel like I'm de motivated but I'm honestly trying.
You could say, just try your best and start early but I don't know how to if I get home at 8 nearly every day[since I go to places after school].
At the weekends,I'm busy once more, with exercise and charity work and some more tuition.
It might not seem like alot compared to pretty much everyone else but I've took 10 subjects. I want A/A* on all.
English Lit+Lang[AQA]
Mathematics[Edexcel]
------
German[AQA]
History[AQA]
Computer Science[OCR]
Law but now dropped to doing R.E[AQA] as I needed a laidback subject
Triple Science[AQA]
I don't really have a social life either to be frank so I don't know what's preventing me to be frank. I'm all in the higher tier for all the subjects too. I'm not trying to be horrible either and people learn things in different ways, but my Biology, Chemistry and Computer Science teacher are all hopeless. The Biology one just skips through the slides and then expects us to answer like she goes through everything within 5 minutes, with lots of information and it frustrates me and makes us use the textbook which is pointless because everyone's basically copying it out.
Computing, he just sits behind is desk all the time and I've learnt nothing from the last year, so I don't know what I'm doing except the coursework but I don't even know how to code in Small Basic is what we have to use...
Chemistry: She's confusing to summarise it.
R.E: she makes us basically copy from the textbook.
Maths: I honestly feel like she's got some grudge, even if I fail or whatever, she'll think I'll cheat despite the numerous times I tell her I haven't. She always thought I have ever since she came. Set 1 has completed like what they need to learn for the exam, we barely brushed up on anything... like we've barely learnt anything so I hope I don't fail sigh.. well not on any exams to say the least.
English: I think she's exaggerating the grades, I have a C/W coming up on Thursday, we barely had any time and we have to write some creative writing up. On a piece of work,she put an A grade which doesn't make sense because half of what I had written didn't make sense when I read it back to myself today.
German: my teacher left and now the speaking which I did and spent all my time on, was pointless because it doesn't even count so now we have a new teacher and he has to make us do a different speaking and he's going right to the basics, and it feels like we have learnt absolutely nothing.
Physics: it's okay I guess, I am learning and we have finished the whole topic thankfully and we're basically revising but I feel like I've learnt nothing either...I've forgotten everything and I honestly don't know why my memory is awful.
History: basically we had this teacher that slept through class, long story short she got fired because she's awful, that's one of the rumours. Another is that she ended up having a mental breakdown. But either way, no one learnt, and so we had a different teacher, we did learn but then she ended up leaving too, so we had another teacher[ btw a mix of supplies like a hell of alot] which we have now and we're just doing our controlled assessments, but we barely learnt anything due to the fact most of the time we had supply teachers and they didn't know what they were doing either really...
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
print out the specification for each subject
make notes answering every specification point
when all notes are done, make different coloured posters. each module is a colour. for instance B1 is green C1 is yellow P1 is blue B2 is dark green C2 is orange P2 is dark blue etc
poster on the for and against of selective breeding, poster on efficiency of solar, wind and tidal energy etc for every topic, visualising the notes you just made with diagrams
hang them up with blu tack
teach your pet rock
past papers

source:

got 9 As/A*s in triple science in 6 months after exam board changed from iGCSE to AQA and teachers told us they have no time to teach us

started doing the above just before April, filled up 3 500 page notebooks with notes (one core, one additional and one further) and ran out of multiple pens
Magical
Rep:
?
Thankyou! This will be useful but what's pet rock?
(Original post by z33)
print out the specification for each subject
make notes answering every specification point
when all notes are done, make different coloured posters. each module is a colour. for instance B1 is green C1 is yellow P1 is blue B2 is dark green C2 is orange P2 is dark blue etc
poster on the for and against of selective breeding, poster on efficiency of solar, wind and tidal energy etc for every topic, visualising the notes you just made with diagrams
hang them up with blu tack
teach your pet rock
past papers

source:

got 9 As/A*s in triple science in 6 months after exam board changed from iGCSE to AQA and teachers told us they have no time to teach us

started doing the above just before April, filled up 3 500 page notebooks with notes (one core, one additional and one further) and ran out of multiple pens
z33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Magical)
Thankyou! This will be useful but what's pet rock?
haha just a rock that you name and keep. Teach your pillow, your toy, your mirror, anything
Magical
Rep:
?
(Original post by z33)
haha just a rock that you name and keep. Teach your pillow, your toy, your mirror, anything
oh haha.
Did you make a timetable and how many hours did you do per day like I don't know how to organise my time..
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've looked through ranges of websites on how to revise but nothing seems to work. I have the past papers, the answers, the revision guides[ and I mean numerous of them from different companies over the same thing], and I'm trying my best but from them small tests,I just keep failing.
Obviously, my parents are spending a heck load of money on me like tuition for instance but nothings paying off and I'm unsure why, I feel like I'm de motivated but I'm honestly trying.
You could say, just try your best and start early but I don't know how to if I get home at 8 nearly every day[since I go to places after school].
At the weekends,I'm busy once more, with exercise and charity work and some more tuition.
It might not seem like alot compared to pretty much everyone else but I've took 10 subjects. I want A/A* on all.
English Lit+Lang[AQA]
Mathematics[Edexcel]
------
German[AQA]
History[AQA]
Computer Science[OCR]
Law but now dropped to doing R.E[AQA] as I needed a laidback subject
Triple Science[AQA]
I don't really have a social life either to be frank so I don't know what's preventing me to be frank. I'm all in the higher tier for all the subjects too. I'm not trying to be horrible either and people learn things in different ways, but my Biology, Chemistry and Computer Science teacher are all hopeless. The Biology one just skips through the slides and then expects us to answer like she goes through everything within 5 minutes, with lots of information and it frustrates me and makes us use the textbook which is pointless because everyone's basically copying it out.
Computing, he just sits behind is desk all the time and I've learnt nothing from the last year, so I don't know what I'm doing except the coursework but I don't even know how to code in Small Basic is what we have to use...
Chemistry: She's confusing to summarise it.
R.E: she makes us basically copy from the textbook.
Maths: I honestly feel like she's got some grudge, even if I fail or whatever, she'll think I'll cheat despite the numerous times I tell her I haven't. She always thought I have ever since she came. Set 1 has completed like what they need to learn for the exam, we barely brushed up on anything... like we've barely learnt anything so I hope I don't fail sigh.. well not on any exams to say the least.
English: I think she's exaggerating the grades, I have a C/W coming up on Thursday, we barely had any time and we have to write some creative writing up. On a piece of work,she put an A grade which doesn't make sense because half of what I had written didn't make sense when I read it back to myself today.
German: my teacher left and now the speaking which I did and spent all my time on, was pointless because it doesn't even count so now we have a new teacher and he has to make us do a different speaking and he's going right to the basics, and it feels like we have learnt absolutely nothing.
Physics: it's okay I guess, I am learning and we have finished the whole topic thankfully and we're basically revising but I feel like I've learnt nothing either...I've forgotten everything and I honestly don't know why my memory is awful.
History: basically we had this teacher that slept through class, long story short she got fired because she's awful, that's one of the rumours. Another is that she ended up having a mental breakdown. But either way, no one learnt, and so we had a different teacher, we did learn but then she ended up leaving too, so we had another teacher[ btw a mix of supplies like a hell of alot] which we have now and we're just doing our controlled assessments, but we barely learnt anything due to the fact most of the time we had supply teachers and they didn't know what they were doing either really...
Use the notes you make at school, revision guides, internet websites and online videos to make a brand new set of notes for each subject. Then you will have all the information you need in one place so when you are revising and memorising the information you only need to refer to one set of notes.
If the science subjects are AQA GCSE use MyGCSE-Science. These are videos that some guy makes especially for the spec and it's soo useful and easy to understand. There are videos for most topics on each science for Core, Additional and Further so it's great. You can find it on YouTube, but I think it costs now, but it's worth it I think.
For maths, maybe try examsolutions.net The videos are good as well and it's free.
If writing notes for revision don't work for you, maybe you're a more visual type of learner or something. Everyone revises differently so different techniques are good for some and not for others. Maybe you should try to do some online tests on what type of a learner you are? Then you can revise in a way that suits you best.
It's still only the start of the year so there's lots of time to catch up and stuff, so don't worry.
I had some rubbish teachers as well, but did well at GCSE using the stuff I said above.
Good luck!
z33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh haha.
Did you make a timetable and how many hours did you do per day like I don't know how to organise my time..
tbh i didnt have an acc time table bc i am **** at time management but
i counted the units i had, so you have 9 for science
i counted the days i had until the time i wanted them done so... like 3 weeks before exams. (for me it was like 80 days when i started)
divided the days by the units and worked out how many days to spend on each unit. (80/9 is 8.8 so 8 days per unit)
repeated this with modules etc till i got down to workable chunks like 2 topics per day or something

i used post it notes and put in the topics for everyday in the week at the start
so on sunday, i got 7 post it notes and stuck them on the inside front cover of my notebook
i would write the days at the top of the post it, and the topics to complete so for example

monday 21/09/2015
B1 1.1
B1 1.2
B1 1.3

tuesday 22/09/2015
C1 1.1
C1 1.2
C1 1.3

etc

and i wouldn't sleep til that was done, and i could tick them all off, but i made sure i understood, otherwise i left it and added it to the next day = more work to catch up but i would understand better

kept me in check cos i knew i was gonna fail

there were notes online that i used and notes i personally made from the book so it was a mix and match thing, like if the book didnt properly answer the spec point but i found something online that did (obv relevant to AQA i'd basically copy and paste the spec point into google and it would come up with alllll the notes) i'd use that so yeah
z33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh and mygcsescience on 1.5 speed

channel on youtube has playlists for core, additional and further - helped with explaination and tips and consolidation and that
iMacJack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't wanna be 'that guy' but chill out I got 1 A*, 4 A's and 6 B's. Which by all means isn't a world record, but for what it is I'd say that's pretty good {Most of my grades just came from last minute cramming}. Just keep on top of your work, watch HegartyMaths, M4TH's and ExamSolutions videos for Maths, you'll defo get an A*, well, he helped me to get an A* anyway so hey, I'm not complaining. If you're stuck on anything maths or physics related don't hesitate to message me I'll reply very quickly - I love maths and physics, oh and good luck for your GCSE's
priyaksandhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
nph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to organise your time you can make a timetable, but they don't always work unless you have amazing self control!
If you're really busy then try and keep working whenever you have a spare moment e.g. I put vocab for language exams on my phone and go over them whenever I'm in the car/on the bus. I also write a list of the things I need to do (homework, revision etc) before I get home so I know exactly what I'm doing when I am home and don't waste time thinking of what I'm going to do or procrastinating.
WolfTy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You may be a self taught learner. people learn best when they find information for themselves. I suggest you go online and find good revision sites and practice e.g. for maths I have started to use exam solutions its a very helpful website
zak40
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've written some advice on revision methods here: http://oxbridgeblog.com/?p=256 Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (925)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed