The Student Room Group

Personal statement advice!! (help ya girl out)

I just need some advice, or help even. I'm quite panicked too, since I want to hand in my person statement by October 2nd because there is no way in the world I'll have time to write it when my busy timetable gets a whole lot busier Mid-October onward.

I don't quite know how to phrase my question but here goes...

I want to mention one particular topic that is covered in all of my potential university courses in my personal statement and link it to what experience I've had to demonstrate my interest in that topic.

However, I'm not quite sure how to open the paragraph, or even go into the topic. I can't be like 'I love this topic you do at the uni, and this is what I do to show I love it'

So how do I do it? Sentence starters / prompts / example paragraphs would help me millions and a bit.

Thanks in advance! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just say why the topic interests you - don't mention the unis at all
Original post by *Interrobang*
Just say why the topic interests you - don't mention the unis at all

Would 'one area/topic I find particularly interesting is...' be okay? :h:
The way I started was : Blablabla was something I was always interested in/fascinated .... Since I was young I always liked .... ( stuff related to your preferred choice) . Nowadays it seems like ...... I like working with people, I excel at academy stuff ..... Hope you get the idea.
Original post by GuyFromTheFuture
The way I started was : Blablabla was something I was always interested in/fascinated .... Since I was young I always liked .... ( stuff related to your preferred choice) . Nowadays it seems like ...... I like working with people, I excel at academy stuff ..... Hope you get the idea.

The phrase " Since i was young" , " i always had a passion for" , etc. These are the most common starters , so i wouldn't recommend using them , since her personal statement needs to standout from the start.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Would 'one area/topic I find particularly interesting is...' be okay? :h:

Yeah that would be ok, although as you write it you might have more ideas :smile:
Original post by GuyFromTheFuture

Original post by TSR Mustafa
The phrase " Since i was young" , " i always had a passion for" , etc. These are the most common starters , so i wouldn't recommend using them , since her personal statement needs to standout from the start.

Oh no no, I'm quite content with the start of my ps, and ignored my teacher when he recommended the "from a young age" starting point. :mmm:

I want to make emphasis on a particular topic in the course that I like, but I'm not quite sure how to say it without making it sound like I just randomly chose it from the list of units and chucked it into my ps.
Reply 7
If you've got experience related to it maybe start off with something like "my experience of so and so (which includes what).... developed m interest in this area of topic" they will know that it directly links to their uni course you don't need to be explicit about that.
Original post by Nmys
If you've got experience related to it maybe start off with something like "my experience of so and so (which includes what).... developed m interest in this area of topic" they will know that it directly links to their uni course you don't need to be explicit about that.

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you :h:
Reply 9
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Absolutely brilliant! Thank you :h:

Glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending