Penryn - boring or just quirky? And is a degree from here worth less? Watch

jess_12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello! So I am hoping to study Ecology starting September 2016, and am applying to Sheffield, East Anglia, Reading and Bournemouth (Bournemouth is a back up) and need a fifth choice so was looking at University of Exeter, but my course is taught on the Penryn Campus. I am worried about it being too quiet there, although I am from a small town where nothing happens so it won't be any quieter, but also worried about people saying that employers will look down on you more if your degree is from Penryn? Is this considered a 'worse' campus than ones in Exeter? I thought Exeter was a really good university and that the campus didn't matter but some people saying that it does so just wanted to hear what some people had to say about the overall experience, and the value of the uni please Also, freshers week? Is it immense? Or average? Thank you, I appreciate any help!
Florendell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Jess,
I am a second year Zoology student at the University of Exeter, on the Penryn Campus. This campus is actually one of the highest for student staisfaction in the country, it is also the largest growing of the four campuses of Exeter University. On the topic of employers looking down on degrees from Cornwall Campus, your degree will not state where your campus was, just that it is from the University of Exeter. From a personal view, the fact that this campus is in Penryn is amazing because we have wildlife right on our doorstep, we have field trips regularly because there is so much wildlife here for us to see, so it is a very interactive and engaging degree. I would really recommend coming down to see the campus for yourself, because that's what made me feel that this was the campus was for me. On student nights Falmouth definitely isn't quiet, because it is a student town with loads going on- there are Exeter students, Falmouth students, Marine school students and Truro med students. Also the location is great, it's not just about drinking, you can go to the beach, to do kayaking, rowing, stand up paddle boarding and beach BBQs are so much fun. Also the beach town is so cute Freshers week is two weeks long unlike other universities, it's great there is loads of activities and events such as the Freshers ball, Priate Party, Festifal (a day of drinking around town) and the Freshers fair.
I hope that's helped!
Flo
jess_12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you Flo for replying to me. I unfortunately can't come to visit the campus because of how far away it is and it's hard for me to get time off work at weekends, which is why I am so interested to hear about it firsthand from people who go there! So at no point have you felt bored in the evening or on weekends and like there's not much on? Although I am not a very clubby person I would like to go to nightclubs sometimes and would like to do other things - does the student union put on a lot of events? How often are the student nights? Is there plenty of places to buy things at reasonable prices? Thanks so much
Florendell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not for me no, I really enjoy spending time outdoors and at the beach , my friends and I are out almost every Thursday and Saturday, and often go and see live music at pubs on a Friday so there is lots on. The student union is one the best, they have so many clubs and societies and they put on big events nearly every Saturday. As the stannary-our event hall, is the highest capacity venue in Cornwall, we have DJs and bands visiting quite often too. Student nights are every Thursday, there are drink deals in the stannary itself and then events on in Falmouth town so everyone usually heads down after a few drinks in the stannary if you are a first year. Falmouth has lots of shops, cute boutiques, yummy pasty shops and restaurants. I wouldn't class it as expensive, as a student you can afford most things and lots of places offer 10% student discount!
jequestrian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a second year geology student in Penryn, and like you applied without coming to visit beforehand.
I am so glad I chose it though. Because it is a smaller campus than others, you always bump into people you met on a night out, or from a society. It has such a friendly atmosphere and I couldn't recommend it more.
Everything is all on one campus too for the Exeter students... where as most unis are spread all over the place! So in first year if staying in halls, you can go back between lectures and nap for half an hour.

Admittedly if you're into lots of clubbing, Falmouth isn't the best. However student nights (every Thursday) are always busy and everyone always ends up in the Infamous Club I!

The Stannary (bar on campus) also hold lots of events. There are quizzes every Wednesday, Open Mic nights on Mondays etc. Nearly every/every other Saturday they hold a big party where they basically turn the hall into a club. Some of the Stannary events are the best nights I've ever had.

I'm from Bournemouth - and honestly the nightlife is no where near as good... and freshers week is a lot quieter in Falmouth but if you're wanting a relaxed campus near the beach and the countryside then I 100% recommend it!

Also in Falmouth is a cheap shop called Trago which sells everything you could ever dream of. There is also a big ASDA near campus (10-15 min walk, or a free bus) so shopping is easy.
india.thomas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I know you posted this 3 years ago but I am really interested in going to the Penryn Campus to study zoology however I have one problem. I am really morally against zoos and I am worried that going to zoos will be a major part of the course. If you could tell me whether this is the case or not it would be much appreciated! Thanks x
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Man Penryn campus sounds pretty sweet. Sounds as good as the proper Exeter campus. If only I had a chance to go there...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%