Bad GCSE's, Medicine? Help!

Watch
Iamflorence
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey Guys,
My name is Florence and I have just started doing my a-levels. For alevel I picked
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Philosophy & ethics.
I really want to be a doctor, it is definitely what I can see myself doing in 10 years. But my gcse’s grades has let me do completely, and I am really disappointed, I didn’t expect more as I did last minute revision but at the end of the day these I know are terrible for Medicine.
I achieved:
Biology – C
Chemistry – B
Math’s – B
Physics-B
English B
Business Studies – P
Textiles – A
Drama – C
Philosophy & ethics – A
When I discovered I met some universities requirements for medicine I was somewhat happy, till with further research I discovered that people gain a lot higher than the requirement, all A*’s. This dishearten me. Then I thought maybe I could do graduate entry but that is even more completive than undergraduate medicine, and my cousin gained a 1st degree in biochemistry and wasn’t accepted onto medicine (Bulgaria doing medicine now).
I just don’t want to do. Please. I really want to be a doctor, it is a serious passion.
Any advice?
Caitlinnnmay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know nothing about medicine at uni as its completely different to what I wan to do at uni (I want to do marketing and advertising), however I just want to warn you that you won't get away with last minute revision for A Levels, as I've learnt from experience...
Legal drugdealer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suggest you maybe look at doing medicine abroad but make sure you get good A-level grades. I would also advise you not to do pharmacy as its a profession that is highly saturated with graduates and not enough jobs.
ThatOtherMegan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Going to be honest here, it's going to be tough to even get an interview. Especially since most of the people applying with you will mostly have 10+ A/A* grades. If your teachers can predict you AAAA and you have a really good personal statement you might be able to get an interview and then you just need to get the grades after that. However, with B/C grades at GCSE it's going to be really difficult to even maintain that grade at A-Level, let alone push it to an A/A* grade. I got 6A*, 2As and 3 B's at GCSE, (which I was told was bad for medicine) with my A*s being in Maths, Additional Maths and the sciences, and even so I found getting my grades for medicine really hard. As someone who thought they could wing their A2 exams, it puts so much stress on and I really wouldn't recommend it. It's a lot of hard work and right now you need to study really hard and to get those predicted grades. I would also research universities which don't focus much on GCSE grades, or a degree like biochemistry and then be able to transfer over to do medicine after you've finished your course.
Anyway, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jv.lalloo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if med was your passion, you really shouldnt have left revision to last minute. its okay, atleast you know where you went wrong.

my advice would be look into courses such as :
# Healthcare science at St goerge's university, which leads you into a hands on job in a healthcare environment, with a decent pay.
# radiography, which also leads you into a hands on job
# do undergraduate biomed degree, or a science related degree for undergrad and try and do the gamsat exam / bmat / ukcat and apply for graduate entry medicine
# do a science related degree and apply for physician associate course at st georges - which is a role similar to that of a FY1 medic (with supervision)
# or, apply straight for a medical school abroad after you finish your a/levels. - purely because i think youre wasting your time, money and energy if you go abroad to do med because it is 6 years. by the time you finish an undergrad degree and med school abroad, half your life would be gone... lol

think carefully.. work hard for these two years. good luck with everything
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why did you get those GCSE grades?

(Original post by Iamflorence)
Hey Guys,
My name is Florence and I have just started doing my a-levels. For alevel I picked
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Philosophy & ethics.
I really want to be a doctor, it is definitely what I can see myself doing in 10 years. But my gcse’s grades has let me do completely, and I am really disappointed, I didn’t expect more as I did last minute revision but at the end of the day these I know are terrible for Medicine.
I achieved:
Biology – C
Chemistry – B
Math’s – B
Physics-B
English B
Business Studies – P
Textiles – A
Drama – C
Philosophy & ethics – A
When I discovered I met some universities requirements for medicine I was somewhat happy, till with further research I discovered that people gain a lot higher than the requirement, all A*’s. This dishearten me. Then I thought maybe I could do graduate entry but that is even more completive than undergraduate medicine, and my cousin gained a 1st degree in biochemistry and wasn’t accepted onto medicine (Bulgaria doing medicine now).
I just don’t want to do. Please. I really want to be a doctor, it is a serious passion.
Any advice?
Iamflorence
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Why did you get those GCSE grades?
I cant really justified why i did badly to be honest, it was my own fault but if you want to know my excuse. Well i didn't listen i class and was easy distracted, meaning when i can to exam time they had no urge to help me. I missed 6 months of mainstream school and when i return to one, i spent 1 1/2 years trying to pick up my feet, make friends and allow my year to know who i am, so it was around dec/jan i began to calm down and from April i started working hard, most revision for completed a day before. This was my fault hands down, but for alevels, i have learnt.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hello did you get into medicine I’m so curious😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads