The Student Room Group

Phenomenology or virtue and values????!! Which unit should i choose? Helppp

I study philosopy and i am having difficulty choosing my units. Which of these units do you think is more interesting but also easier at the same time.

This is what the phenomenology unit covers:

The key question raised in this unit is What is phenomenology? And what challenge does it pose to customary divisions of philosophy into questionings of fact and of value; of being and of existing; of individuality and collectivity. In the first term, the focus for discussion will be the re-invention of phenomenology by Edmund Husserl (1859-1938); in the second term the challenge posed to his thought by Emmanuel Lévinas (1906-1996) will be discussed.

Phenomenology as method with Edmund Husserl (1859-1938)
Phenomenology as critique with Michel Henry (see his book Barbarism)
And phenomenology as ethical renewal (see Emmanuel Levinas on ethics as first philosophy)

This is what virtue and values covers:

The first term begins with a survey and critical re-assessment of the distinction between consequentialism and deontology in ethical theory, before moving on to examining the alternative approach of virtue ethics in Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics.

The second term will focus on key issues in environmental ethics, the normative and practical implication of Global Justice and the Market. Topics to be studies include the notion of intrinsic value and the extent of its application to nature and conservation of biodiversity, ecological feminism, and environmental sustainability.

thanks!!!! x

Quick Reply

Latest